Old November 6, 2001, 22:47   #1
teknokrat
Settler

Local Time: 16:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some info I can't figure out how to find out
Here i some things I want to know but which There does not seem to be any obvious way to do.

1. How do i know which city is building which wonder if its another civ? If I have to spy on every enemy civ city then its just too damn expensive.

2. can I get a list of wonders, who built them and where?

3. How can I find what each civ is trading with other civs? Whats the point of a trade embargo if you don't know where your enemy's iron is coming from.

4. How do i find out how many turns an aggreement has to run. I think it sucks the way you are not warned that this is going to happen and then you lose an important resource or luxury. Also, who thinks that the number of turns ahould have been set by diplomacy too!

5. When can you trade worker? Sometimes it seems possible but not other times.

6. How can you find out all the techs that another civ has. I don't think you get everything from diplomacy. DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THAT YOUR FOREIGN ADVISOR SUCKS! I want to know how much money other civs have, what type of government etc, especially if i have an embassy.

7. Also, wouldn't it be good if you could trade imfomation about other civs, not just communication but troop sizes and positions, etc.

8. Is there any way of finding out what other civs think of you without having to click on that f**ing foreign advisor all the time?

9. Is there anyway to sort your cities by population, larget production, commerce, corruption, etc. ? The domestic advisor screen seems pretty lame.

10. Can I get information when one civ takeas another civs city. Currently there is no way to know how a battle between rival civs is going.

later
Old November 6, 2001, 23:00   #2
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 12:14
Lots of questions. I'll try to answer some/all if I can. A lot of this stuff is poorly documented.

1. & 2.: An improved version of the Civ1 and Civ2 wonders screen is there - hit F7. It also tells you who is building the current wonders and where. Play with the other F keys for more stuff like this.

3. AFAIK there is no way to know what other civs are trading - there may be some espionage option that will tell you.

4. For info on existing agreements, click "active" from the dialog with the other leader (at the bottom). This will show you all active agreements, and, in parentheses, the # of turns left. If there is no number, the agreement is still active but can be cancelled by either side.

5. Workers have to be in your capital to be traded.

6. Money you can tell from the diplomacy screen. For some reason government is shown on the military advisor screen.

9. Domestic advisor screen is sortable, but it doesn't work. Firaxis claims to be fixing this in the patch - a minor but acknowledged bug that happened late in development for some reason.

10. Other than trading maps, no, not that I know.
Old November 6, 2001, 23:05   #3
Achnor
Chieftain

1) If you have communication with them you should be told when they start producing any wonder.

2) Press F8

3) Dunno

4) All agreements run for 20 turns. (It says in the bottom of the diplomacy screen when you initiate an agreement)

5) I think you can only trade workers when one is captured by an other civ but I'm not quite sure.

6) In diplomacy you can see if they can trade some techs. The one not listed are either not discovered by that civ yet or you have it as well.

7) Yup.

8) Don't think so.

9) Press F1, then you can sort by all columns (Just press the shields, food etc. at the top)

10) Maybe if you have a military protection agreement, but don't know for sure.

What would REALLY be cool would be if you could choose to trade "phoney" maps to the other civ's :-)

Achnor
Old August 13, 2002, 05:23   #4
kalkas7
Settler

Is there another way of initiating a "chat" with some civ that is not present in the Foreign Advisor Window, and with whom you have established a contact. I have figured out only two ways:

1) Right-click on some unit belonging to the civ.
2) Go to the Trade Advisor. There is a list of civs with whom you can and cannot trade. Double-click on the desired one with whom you wish to "chat" with.

However, I think that there is a third way, which can be done in the Foreign Advisor Window, but forgot how to do it. Something to do with checking how many turns is left for the expiration of some agreement.

I wish that you can see all leaders, so that you can have a view on their diplomatic relations. Can it be done?

Last edited by kalkas7; August 13, 2002 at 05:34.
Old August 13, 2002, 05:58   #5
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 10:14
3. Sometimes you can figure out who is trading what with who in the trades tab of the F4 screen. It shows all civs which currently have trade agreements with each other, but not for what. It can be really simple (only one active trading partner) or incredibly complex to impossible to figure out...

kalkas7 -

You can only have 7 other leaders on the F4 screen at a time, but you can swap them around with others that aren't shown. Shift-Right Click on the face and you get a list of the other civs, just swap in the ones you want.

Incidently, Shift-Left Click on a leaderhead in F4 will allow for (de)selecting additional leaderheads (up to all 8 of you) to show their diplomatic relations at the same time. Just figured that out checking to make sure it was right clicking... learn something new all the time.
Old August 13, 2002, 07:12   #6
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 17:14
Quote:
Originally posted by kalkas7
Is there another way of initiating a "chat" with some civ that is not present in the Foreign Advisor Window, and with whom you have established a contact. I have figured out only two ways:

1) Right-click on some unit belonging to the civ.
2) Go to the Trade Advisor. There is a list of civs with whom you can and cannot trade. Double-click on the desired one with whom you wish to "chat" with.

However, I think that there is a third way, which can be done in the Foreign Advisor Window, but forgot how to do it. Something to do with checking how many turns is left for the expiration of some agreement.
You can press shift-D to get a pop-up with a list of all the civs you've met, and double click on one of them to start talking. It's the way I use most often to get into negotiations.

Another way is to doube-click on the appropriate leaderhead on the foreign advisor screen, but (for me) that is annoying. I always have all the leaders 'selected' to see the whole web of trades and treaties, and double clicking on one of the heads deselects the rest (meaning I have to go and shift-left click on all of them again).
Old August 13, 2002, 11:36   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:14
10. Bascially no, though you can use Scouts or Explorers to act as "observers" in a war until they are kicked out by an ultimatim. Or, of course, use an RoP (Right of Passage) agreement.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old August 13, 2002, 20:35   #8
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 11:14
Re: Some info I can't figure out how to find out
Quote:
Originally posted by teknokrat
. . .10. Can I get information when one civ takeas another civs city. Currently there is no way to know how a battle between rival civs is going.
We DEFINITELY should be able to see upon request the state of military action in an ALLY'S civ. He should be able to see our map upin request. We are ALLIES.

Beyond that, if we steal an enemy's map with his military troop dispositions, we should be able to offer (or sell) it to an ally, or maybe to anyone.
Old August 14, 2002, 00:07   #9
Wooglin
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Chieftain

Since this is about questions, how do you set up embassies? I try to double click the capitol, but this never seems to work. Thanks for any help.
Old August 14, 2002, 00:19   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Wooglin,

Once you've researched Writing, you have the ability to create embassies.

Double-click on the star next to your capitol, and a dialogue box will appear with all of the AI civs that you currently know.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 14, 2002, 01:37   #11
Wooglin
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Chieftain

Theseus,

Thanks so much. I guess that I misread everything. I thought that I had to click on the star next to the other civ's capitol. Keep up the good work. I try to play most of the AU and other challenges, although I usually do badly. However, I've learned alot from all of you all and really appreciate it. I just beat my first regent game this evening, so maybe I'll be able to contribute more in the future (I haven't played civ3 besides the last two weeks since it came out).

Woog
Old August 14, 2002, 13:51   #12
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 09:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Wooglin
I try to play most of the AU and other challenges, although I usually do badly. However, I've learned alot from all of you all and really appreciate it. I just beat my first regent game this evening, so maybe I'll be able to contribute more in the future (I haven't played civ3 besides the last two weeks since it came out).
Wow! If you just won your first Regent game, my hat's off to you for taking on the AU games (all at Monarch or Emperor). I hope you're not discouraged with the losses (you don't seem like you are). Keep at it!

Catt
Old August 14, 2002, 14:39   #13
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Wooglin, make sure to read the thread I started in General about the early game.

Keep asking questions... there are a lot of people here who are happy to help!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.