Old November 6, 2001, 23:37   #1
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 08:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
confusing UN wonder, help
doe's anyone know the in's and out's of the UN wonder?

the first time I encounter it in the game, I tried racing to complete it but was beaten. There was an immediate vote for the leader, then I lost the game.

Second time I run into it (in another game), and again I was beaten by the AI at the UN wonder (the AI must of stashed dozens of units somewhere that made a leader, or else I'd of won!!!). This time there was no immediate vote, and I did not loose the game...

Does the game turn affect this? It's pre 1900's in this game, versus the first it was mid 1900... Is the vote initiated by the builder of the UN nation? How does the vote work anyway?

Please don't tell me to RTM because I have, and that book doesnt say much about the UN wonder, neither does the civilopedia
Old November 7, 2001, 09:37   #2
CIV Butch
Settler

Local Time: 10:14
I don't know a whole lot about the U.N. but I'll tell you what I know...

I built it in one of my games. Every turn after I was asked if I wanted to hold Secretary General elections (This got to be a little annoying). Seeing as I didn't know what that meant, I decided not to hold the election. After a while I decided to go ahead with the election. When the election happened, I had two options. I could either abstain, or vote for Joan of Arc. I voted for her and the game ended. I'm not sure why I only had the two options. Again, not much help here, but I thought I'd tell what I knew.
Old November 7, 2001, 10:25   #3
kmj
Prince

Local Time: 11:14
you didn't get to vote for yourself? As I understood it, whoever builds the UN always gets to run for ...whatever the position is. Maybe I was wrong.

this is a bit long, sorry...
Basically, the UN is the key to the diplomatic victory. You build the UN (or someone else does).. and certain nations get to be on the council; including the civ that built it (I think) and any other civ (I thought!) that has 25% of the total territory. In my game last night, this is how I won. I built the UN in 2046, and all while I was building it, knowing it was the only hope for non "forced retirement" victory, I catered to every other country on the map. My relations with Germany and Greece were great, since we'd never fought over anything (though I did gain some cities through culture), we always traded, and I help them both kill off the egyptions. We shared a continent the whole game. The two other civs were the russians and the chinese, who each had a continent on the other side of the world, so I didn't meat them until way later. They were both large, slightly smaller than my civ, and not tremendously far behind. (strangely, every civ thought they were my equal in science, but I could have handed off a dozen advances and still not had to worry about my lead). I traded with them, shared pacts and treaties, and never warred with any of them. In fact, the only warring that went on at all was the swift destruction of the Egyptians (who were the weakest civ throughout, having lost 4 cities to me through culture)...

So anyway, I had great relations with all the civs, though I was closer to the Germans and Greeks, I built the UN, and it asked me if I wanted to hold elections. I said sure. My choices were abstain, vote for myself, vote for catherine the great. I, the Germans, and the Greeks voted for me. the other two voted for Catherine. I won, diplomatically. The strange thing is that I thought the Chinese had more points than the Russians, which would, IMO make allowing Catherine, instead of Mao to run.

It would be nice to have a solid set of rules for being in the election...
Old November 7, 2001, 10:31   #4
Delbert
Settler

Local Time: 16:14
U.N. Wonder Explained
Here's what I have found out about the U.N. wonder.

After its built there are periodic votes to elect a U.N. Leader. If you are elected you win the game through a Diplomatic victory. if someone else win's then you lose and the game ends.

To be eligible for the vote you must have meet one of the following conditions.

1. Be the civ that built the U.N. wonder

2. Control at least 25 % of the worlds land.

3. Control at least 25 % of the worlds population.

There will always be two candidates for an election. if 2 are not eligible the 2nd canidate will the the civ with the largest population.

So far I've lost one game to diplomatic victory. another civ built the wonder and the vote was between them and me. my choices were them, me or abstain. anyways I lost the vote.

Delbert.