yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 12:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Refugees: Good Idea or No?
In another thread, I stumbled on the idea for refugees. The idea is this:

Given that it becomes inceasingly harder to assimilate enemy cities further and further away from your capital in deeper in enemy territory, many people are discovering that it's simply not worth the effort of trying to keep a captured city happy since it can so easily flip back to the AI, causing you to lose all your units and any investments in the process.

So, instead of razing the city, what about an "Expel Populace?" option? This would leave the city at pop 1 (which is totally loyal to you) and all the improvements, etc., remain as well. If 'stocked' quickly with your own settlers, it would become a loyal addition to your empire assuming you have some solid culture points to begin with.

So what happens to the expelled populace? They become refugees allocated by the AI among its cities according to its best arrangements. In other words, the comp can actually put those people to use! Or, as with the flip-side of having refugees, it can throw cities not able to support them into chaos until happiness is attained.

Think about this from the losing side as well. If you lose a big city, if the comp wants to take it over, you get a stream of pops to allocate among your cities. Used well, this could be a big boost in helping fight back the invaders.

Thoughts?

I just hate the idea of razing cities when I should be able to kick out the offending populace and use their city improvements. Also, refugees are a real issue in any war ... but it could be made fun here, I think.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 7, 2001, 02:28   #2
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 08:14
i think that workers/settlers represent this to the best extent. Wouldnt a simple queue of workers do the job? Then just trade your workers with the AI. However the computer would not do that, it would simply draft the city down from pop 24 to pop 1.

how often though do you conquer cities and get to reap the benefit of still having improvements in that city left standing?

I can never manage to do it asides from wonders, and once a harbor.
Old November 7, 2001, 02:39   #3
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
addition
To make it a bit more complicated but possibly more interesting how about having expelled populations moving to their homeland if that country is at peace but to other allied nations if the home country is at war. To use a real life example, Pakistan is now being overwhelmed by Afghan refugees because all of Afghanistan is under attack. Who wants to stay there? A great number of Afghans are trying as hard as they can to get away from their home country.
Anyway, I support the idea of refugees but it might be a bit late for such a complicated addition.
Old November 7, 2001, 02:42   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 12:14
Hmmm, interesting idea. Yes, this could be an X-pack idea. Could be kind of fun and relieve the issues related to razing cities and angry native populations.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 7, 2001, 04:41   #5
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 23:14
Good idea, but somthing like that was in MoO2 where you can kill population of just captured planets.
Sorry if I made a lot of mistakes, I am a little drunk whrite now. Hello from Russia.