Old November 7, 2001, 02:40   #1
Jaundice
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Enjoyable game (finally) AI holds up it's end
As most people do, I myself have many complaints about the game. All I can say is...I can't wait for the patch. This could end up being a really good game.
Anyway, I've played the game a few times from beginning to end and I have to say that all things aside, it is enjoyable. And although the AI is a bit one sided in it's dealings, what country in the real world isn't? At least in this version, they seem to hold up their end of a war agreement. I was playing as the Romans, when an Egyptian boat, loaded with a settler, showed up on my shore and proceeded to set up a city just outside of my borders in an artic area. Knowing that oil was bound to show up there later in the game, I couldn't allow this. I knew Egypt had far too many cities for me to take on alone, and they were sure to send a wave of attackers across the ocean to seek revenge, I had to distract them some way. The Greeks shared the continent with the Egyptians, so I paid them a few hundred dollars and a luxury to beat the Egyptians into submission. At the same time, I brought in a horde of legion to occupy their little invasion on my shores. After about a dozen turns, to my pleasure, the Greeks had taken 5 Egyptian cities and had kept them tied up long enough to break them...and I never saw another Egyptian land on my shore. Remember back in Civ2 when you'd pay a civ ungodly amount of cash to declare war, only to have them make peace with your enemy a few turns later? It's refreshing to see them keep up a deal like that. Especially when the Greeks seemed to be a smaller empire than the Egyptians they were attacking, and had lived in peace until my influence.
I am concerned about how 3 spearmen destroyed a tank of mine though.... -JD
Old November 7, 2001, 02:43   #2
Altuar
Warlord

Re: Enjoyable game (finally) AI holds up it's end
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaundice
I am concerned about how 3 spearmen destroyed a tank of mine though.... -JD
They have nuclear speartips. And a lot of devotion.
Old November 7, 2001, 02:54   #3
Jaundice
Chieftain

HA!

-JD
Old November 7, 2001, 03:56   #4
morb
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:15
civ1 combat system returns.
Old November 7, 2001, 04:01   #5
Pyrodrew
Prince

Quote:
At least in this version, they seem to hold up their end of a war agreement.
I agree that is nice to see. I like their hard bargaining too. And since we all know human players are the biggest threats, a smart AI should too. However, I was wondering... has anyone seen the AI kill... and I mean kill another AI completely without the help of a human player? Civ2 Ghengis Khan had no problems doing this, but given how Civ3 highly favors peaceful pacifists & defenders now... is it even possible???

Regarding the AI's hard bargaining... I would think they could ease up just a little sometimes tho. Below is Shaka Zulu's offer of what he would give me for my territory map...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1gold.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	5511  
Old November 7, 2001, 04:09   #6
Jaundice
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrodrew

I was wondering... has anyone seen the AI kill... and I mean kill another AI completely without the help of a human player?
Actually, I saw England wipe out the Persians during the industrial ages. Completely destroyed. And I assure you it was not by my hand. England was becoming somewhat of a problem, I even funneled cash to the Persians in the form of a gift, but refused to join them in a battle that I knew I would lose too much in. I was busy dealing with the Zulu.

-JD
Old November 7, 2001, 04:17   #7
Pyrodrew
Prince

Quote:
Actually, I saw England wipe out the Persians during the industrial ages.
I'm very glad to hear that. Thanks.
Old November 7, 2001, 04:31   #8
Jaundice
Chieftain

BTW- regarding your encounter with Shaka and his cheap offer, it was around the year 2000, and the world had been completely discovered when Queen Elizabeth offered me her territory map for Nuclear Fission and Advance Fibers. When I refused, she declared war on me. I guess it didn't help that we were already on bad terms.

-JD
Old November 7, 2001, 04:49   #9
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"I was wondering... has anyone seen the AI kill... and I mean kill another AI completely without the help of a human player?"
I'm in the 1700s and so far the AIs killed three other AIs without any help for me. I've killed two and now me and most of the AIs are fighting the very weak Egyptian/English alliance which will be dead soon. After they're cleared away things might get interesting and we could finally see a world war.
Old November 7, 2001, 05:00   #10
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:15
well, i jumped on aztecs together with everyone else and incited english to do so too. i sued for peace and then england went on and finished aztecs off....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 7, 2001, 05:22   #11
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 18:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrodrew

I agree that is nice to see. I like their hard bargaining too. And since we all know human players are the biggest threats, a smart AI should too. However, I was wondering... has anyone seen the AI kill... and I mean kill another AI completely without the help of a human player? Civ2 Ghengis Khan had no problems doing this, but given how Civ3 highly favors peaceful pacifists & defenders now... is it even possible???

Regarding the AI's hard bargaining... I would think they could ease up just a little sometimes tho. Below is Shaka Zulu's offer of what he would give me for my territory map...
I have seen the Zulu's wipe out Bablyions, but especially Greeks crash of Japan was remarkable; with the help out 5-6 other AI, no human intervention, I even tried to help Japan by giving techs, money, resources, but bloodlust civs controlled by the AI raped the poor asian fellows