Old November 7, 2001, 02:48   #1
HellB
Settler

Local Time: 16:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Patch !!!!
Anybody knows or can someone from Firaxis tell the Civ playing community when will the patch be ready. Playing the game has it is is getting many people very very nervous !!!!

Another thing, did anyone ever seen the coastal fortress auto-defend the city where it's built ?

Also did anybody noticed that if you move a submarine inside the A.I. borders that after 2 turns you'll have some president nagging you to move your forces... how does it know it's there if no ship passes by ?

I'd apretiate some input on this...
Thanks

Old November 7, 2001, 02:51   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 12:15
Well, the first patch is slated for the end of this month, which should tell that it's a patched designed to fix things they KNEW about before going gold. In other words, don't look for too many gameplay fixes until the second patch, which has not even been announced.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 7, 2001, 02:57   #3
Jaundice
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:15
I agree about the costal fortress. It seems worthless. I had about 4 Galleons pounding my city each turn, and the costal fortress was silent. Even when the ships passed DIRECTLY in front.....frustrating.

-JD
Old November 7, 2001, 02:58   #4
HellB
Settler

Local Time: 16:15
The end of the month ??????? They unleash this highly addictive game with some major and obvious bugs and it will be ready only at the end of the month !!!

Firaxis crew you better start earning your pay !!!

Maybe I can sleep for 20 days or so and not feel the pain......
Old November 7, 2001, 03:06   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 12:15
The problems with patches is that they can A) introduce new problems, so you need to make sure you didn't break 3 things just to fix 1 and B) it takes time for the various levels of leadership to 'sign off' on them C) sometimes the decision to wait for the patches to be put in more than one language will hold things as well.

This, more often than not, means you have a patch now that addresses things raised many many weeks prior. So, for them to have a patch at the end of this month means that they were already at work on the patch even as the boxes were being shrink-wrapped. As for whether this means they have any time to address our *current* concerns is another matter.

My guess is they will have the first patch addressing system compatability issues first ... just to make sure people can at least play the game. Patch 2 (perhaps 4-6 months from now?) will be the one with a lot of game fixes.

Of course, Firaxis could really surprise us and make up for the lack of features etc., by going balls out on the patches. Right, Soren?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 7, 2001, 03:31   #6
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 18:15
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Well, the first patch is slated for the end of this month, which should tell that it's a patched designed to fix things they KNEW about before going gold. In other words, don't look for too many gameplay fixes until the second patch, which has not even been announced.
The things thay knew about:
-we didn't have time to finish editor
-we didn't have time to finish predifined civ map placing
-we didn't have time to propley balance units (and it is easy to do even without patch)
-we want to fix corruption (made some mistakes on tyny & small maps)

So anyway, even a first patch will fix many things, but probabbly not all of them.
And don't forget Game went Gold 3 weeks before release, whan do you think that did after that.
THEY started preparations for a PATCH.

Somethink like:
In one early October:
1: yes, we finnaly finished the game
2: now, we can rest playing ours masterpiece
1: oh, no, I made an error, I typed privateers statistics incorrectly
3: it is time for patch
4: we also need to finish that editor guys
1: then lets start

In one early November:
2: it looks that players foud out abaut yours "typo"
1: I hate when this happens,I shouldn't made such mistake with Privateers
3: how it going
4: we still don't know how to fix that corruption problem, but some players on these worums have nice idea, we should try some of them
2: OK!