Old October 22, 2000, 17:35   #1
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 18:10
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Would anybody playtest my little map scenario?
I have created a little map scenario. The map is 11x11. I would like to know if anybody would like to playtest it. You can e-mail me at the address below. I will try to get screenshots and possibly the scenario on the web.

------------------
What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org
Old October 22, 2000, 18:39   #2
SandMonkey
Prince

is this for MGE? or ToT? I guess it can be converted, but yeah
Old October 22, 2000, 19:33   #3
jcarkey
Warlord

I made it on 2.42. So I guess it would work for any version above that. It is the original civ on a small map.

------------------

Old October 22, 2000, 19:57   #4
SandMonkey
Prince

I got it and loaded it. I got an error saying there was somethign wrong with the events.txt file. It did load the game, and i could play it, i just don't know what the events were supposed to do.
Old October 22, 2000, 20:03   #5
SandMonkey
Prince

a couple thoughts...

the AI's are SOOO annoying in this! Am I not supposed to be able to talk to them? I wish i wouldn't have to...

And you're rules make it so friggin hard.. although the increased shield production does combat that.
Old October 23, 2000, 17:10   #6
jcarkey
Warlord

What's so hard in the rules? Is it the AI personalities? I did intend on you not being able to talk to the AI but I can change that. Was it really challenging? What level did you play it on?

------------------

Old October 23, 2000, 18:55   #7
SandMonkey
Prince

well, i read the readme, and that cleared a few things up. One problem is that with such immense production, the AI just pumps out a warrior a turn, and it get's to the point where you can't move. It's very early in the game, so trying to wipe them out with a decent offensive unit is out of the question. I guess I could always go right for chariots...

It wasn't necessarily hard, just more like "None of my units can move because of ZOC." I realize it's an all out war scenario, but even warmongers need some prep time. I guess that's the challenge in this scenario
Old October 27, 2000, 20:59   #8
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
da smokes will try it. course da smokes will. bye the way, dis is da smokes 31 post, so now he's a cheiftain

at least, he should be
[This message has been edited by Smokey tha nuke man (edited October 27, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Smokey tha nuke man (edited October 27, 2000).]
Old October 28, 2000, 16:55   #9
jcarkey
Warlord

Smokey, what's your e-mail address for me to mail it to you?

Oh, and on that post you said "the" instead of "da"

------------------

Old October 29, 2000, 22:16   #10
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

da smokes can be e-mailed at (dramatic drumroll) pla7198@aol.com
sorry bout da "the/da"mix up( ). let da smokes if he does it again.
[This message has been edited by Smokey tha nuke man (edited October 29, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Smokey tha nuke man (edited October 29, 2000).]
Old October 30, 2000, 17:58   #11
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
JCarkey, I playtested your scenario and had quite some fun in the process. I've sent all my comments to your e-mail adress, but here's a few I'd like to share with everybody.

I've had time, at last, to play your scenario. It was quite fun.I took the chinese, build barracks, went for Warrior Code and wiped my opponents. Oh yes, and I was at Deity level. Well, I just found it a little easy and the AI seemed to behave more stupidly than usal. They produced too much warriors, not even veterans, it seems, and produced settlers. Not efficient indeed !
I would perhaps recommand another style for the leaders, and maybe a modification in the rules.txt for the value attributed to Warrior Code. In my game, it was deadly.

Then I played Deity as the Carthaginians and won by 2350bc, following the same tactic : a few warriors, barracks, warrior code, and archers. The Chinese had enough time to discover horseback riding, but it didn't matter. To make things worse for the AI, the last defending french warrior in Paris committed suicide (attacked an archer that is) and I was able to capture Paris. With 2 cities against one, it was "un jeu d'enfant".

So maybe, it's a bit too easy. But it is definitely fun. By the way, I played as "Magon of Syracuse". He was a sailor who managed a stunning escape from Lilybea in Sicily during the 1st Punic war. The greek historian Polybe, tells us that he outclassed outwitted and outmanoeuvred 10 heavy Roman triremes.

This little piece of history gave me an idea : why not give an historical context. For example, Romans and Carthaginians battle for the control of the Sicily, with the Greeks split up in the middle of the war. If you want, I can provide you with names for the leaders and the cities.

I was forgetting to make a comment on the map. It's a good one, but I think the French are not happy with all those hills and mountains around their starting city. It's very easy to make a siege and prepare an assault.

Great job and a very good and very original idea. Congratulations for this scenario.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old October 30, 2000, 19:56   #12
jcarkey
Warlord

Smokey, I sent you da scenario.

------------------

Old October 31, 2000, 18:46   #13
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

jc (and anyone else who cares) do ya want to try da smokes scenario (when he's finished) you can read about it in the help section (you should be able to figure out which one it is). chill