Old November 7, 2001, 05:34   #1
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
LE scandal - Firaxians, there has to be an explanation to 75,000 customers!
Now I like the game and all that, and I rarely whine. Hell, I was no.2 member of the Optimist's Club.
There is one thing, however, that I am really pissed about - contents of LE. It took great pains to get my paws on it and what do I get:
- tin (nice)
- two CDs in a cardboard - unusable packaging
- letter from Sid&Jeff (whatever....)
- tech tree that is so small I cannot make the units out
- manual - pathetic - try finding anything on minor wonders there

BUT
WHERE ARE MY DESIGNER"S NOTES??????
I was promised that and dont tell me that Sid's letter counts as one! I demand it straight away!!!!
I always criticized people for whining about this and that, but this was the feature ADVERTISED (unlike MP) and I EXPECT it to be in!
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 7, 2001, 05:37   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 09:15
bah! they have more important things to do. Like fix the game. Use the money they save for the designers notes and pay programmers to fix the game and make an editor.
Old November 7, 2001, 05:39   #3
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Considering your copy of LE had to travel half the world on your expences I can say I understand your frustration

But there is worse: a guy bought the LE and there was EVERYTHING in it, except for the cd of the game...
Old November 7, 2001, 05:42   #4
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Considering your copy of LE had to travel half the world on your expences I can say I understand your frustration

But there is worse: a guy bought the LE and there was EVERYTHING in it, except for the cd of the game...

haha
well a colleague of mine from our NY offices DHLed it to me so the shipping expenses were minimal. still, I am sitting down to write a bad one to firaxians...

edit: paiktis - are you playing it already too? my first game was with the greeks
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 7, 2001, 05:49   #5
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
paiktis - are you playing it already too?
Nope not yet! (I know I'm a model for self control )

Quote:
my first game was with the greeks
Good choice! That way you didn't have to see Alexander's constipated expression throughout the game
Old November 7, 2001, 05:50   #6
Jaundice
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:15
If anyone can't get the LE version....trade me your boxed plus the 10 dollar difference and you pay for shipping. You can have mine. I haven't watched the movie, used the letter to write phone notes on...and the tin is now holding skittles. I only bought the LE because it was the only one available at my local PC store the release day. The game could have come wrapped in toliet paper or a brown paper bag...I just wanted the game!

-JD
Old November 7, 2001, 07:10   #7
Biggles266
Settler

Local Time: 02:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaundice
If anyone can't get the LE version....trade me your boxed plus the 10 dollar difference and you pay for shipping. You can have mine. I haven't watched the movie, used the letter to write phone notes on...and the tin is now holding skittles. I only bought the LE because it was the only one available at my local PC store the release day. The game could have come wrapped in toliet paper or a brown paper bag...I just wanted the game!

-JD
Would you want to keep the skittles?
Old November 7, 2001, 07:25   #8
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 17:15
Having paid almost double what I'd pay in a local shop for pre-ordering it, my stomach is turning. I really thought the LE would be special, so I paid $73 for it, rather than wait until 16.11 and paying $40. I am still waiting for it, should be here tomorrow.

Please, let it be worth it...

On a positive note I can always house the XP box in the tin whenever that arrives. All in one box!
Old November 7, 2001, 08:24   #9
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Re: LE scandal - Firaxians, there has to be an explanation to 75,000 customers!
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
BUT
WHERE ARE MY DESIGNER"S NOTES??????
I was promised that and dont tell me that Sid's letter counts as one! I demand it straight away!!!!
I always criticized people for whining about this and that, but this was the feature ADVERTISED (unlike MP) and I EXPECT it to be in!
how can they have Designer notes when the game isn't complete yet
Old November 8, 2001, 04:49   #10
LaRusso
King

I sent a mail to Firaxis - no reply.
I am pretty sure that no one will read this, either.
I really enjoy playing the game but this is utter b****cks and I am really pissed off. This is NOT only Infogrames, I demand Firaxis to tell us WHY THEY DID NOT INCLUDE designer's notes.

I will stop whining about manual and tech map. They are pathetic.
Old November 8, 2001, 05:01   #11
morb
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:15
that's major suckage. I avoided the tin when I read what was "special" about it. Then again, I payed ~$50 for the "regular" so....

It should really cost no more than 30 bux. that's all its worth. maybey $35 for the limited edition. I'm sure glad I've mad a downpayment on some suit's new Merc. though... woohoo! YEAH!
Old November 8, 2001, 05:06   #12
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 16:15
Meh, who cares about the quality or what was promised... it's like school, finishing that "special" project 20 minutes before it's due. As a kid, I was told that I would never get away with it in junior high, but I did. I was then told I would never get away with in High School, but I did. I've been told that university won't stand for that sort of thing, but so far so good. Looks like it's no problem to pull off in the business world as well. Old wives' tale, I guess!
Old November 8, 2001, 05:36   #13
LaRusso
King

ditto. but we are talking about false advertising here.
Old November 8, 2001, 05:58   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 00:15
It's not Firaxis' fault, it's Infograme's.
Old November 8, 2001, 06:00   #15
LaRusso
King

Okay. I am waiting for Firaxians to say: well we prepared those notes but evil Infogrames pulled it back.
Still, I have that on the cover of my tin box. NOthing inside. I rightfully demand an explanation and I am sorry if I sound repetitive and boring. I sincerely hope at least Dan will say a word.
Old November 8, 2001, 06:20   #16
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 17:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
It's not Firaxis' fault, it's Infograme's.
Whoever is to blame, should us, the stupid customers, not have some rights? I should (hoping) get my LE delivered today. When I do, I will unpack it and post the picture here. Then we will all know exactly what is included and what not.

I saw a Collector's Edition of DiabloII in a shop some months ago. It had the in-game movies enhanced on a DVD and loads of other extras. You had to pay for the difference, but so do you with CivIII.

If this is because the game was rushed, can we not be compensated in some other way now, after release? Upon proof of purchase, can we not be sent a CD/DVD with some juicy stuff, or a book, Strategy Guide, Tin Settler... something!
Old November 8, 2001, 07:03   #17
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 02:15
The chart for civ 2 was so good I had it framed, sits right beside my comp so I can refer to it when playing.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 8, 2001, 07:08   #18
mrbilll
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:15
When I first read what was supposed to be in the LE, my immediate reaction was "whoopy doo". I was underwhelmed. Too bad I was right. I'd have shelled out for a limited addition that actually included anything valuable or worthwhile.
Old November 8, 2001, 12:18   #19
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:15
Sounds like Infogrames and Firaxis like playing point the finger. Who's responsible? La Russo. You could probably return it to Amazon. Thye've been good about this kind of thing.
Old November 8, 2001, 12:31   #20
LaRusso
King

goodie. let me just mail it back to my friend who will mail it back to EB etc etc. the point is not to return it but to have all it was advertised
Old November 8, 2001, 12:36   #21
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 10:15
As much as I think Civ3 is a great game, I wish I hadn't bought the LE, esp. when Best Buy has the SE on sale for $34.99 right now. Like AH, I thought the Civ2 chart was the best thing I have ever seen in a game and would have gladly paid $25 for a similar one for Civ3.

Rights? It can be summed up in two words (which any legal entity will agree with): CAVEAT EMPTOR.
Old November 8, 2001, 12:37   #22
Rasbelin
Emperor

LaRusso, I suppose you haven't checked out
the Bisquit Tin Coalition's website.

http://www.bisquit-tin-coalition.cjb.net

Anyway, Firaxis or Infogrames won't probably
respond to you. At least they haven't done
that to any of BTC's inquiries.
Old November 8, 2001, 12:39   #23
drake
King

Local Time: 12:15
The game is filled with flaws and doesnt include essential components and this dudes crying about silly designer notes and manuals?

Its like that dude Jaundice said.....all that should matter is the game itself......all the other stuff is just fluff!
Old November 8, 2001, 12:50   #24
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Okay. I am waiting for Firaxians to say: well we prepared those notes but evil Infogrames pulled it back.
Still, I have that on the cover of my tin box. NOthing inside. I rightfully demand an explanation and I am sorry if I sound repetitive and boring. I sincerely hope at least Dan will say a word.
To be honest, I don't know much about the LE or its contents, other than the tin, manual, and fold-out tech tree, because I've actually seen them. We haven't even gotten our copies here yet, so I really don't know what else is or isn't in the box. Typically, though, the packaging and contents of game boxes are driven by the publisher, but I don't really know what happened in this case.

Note that I'm not pointing any fingers, because I really don't know what happened. I'm just stating a fact, that typically developers do what they do best, which is make the game. Publishers do the rest: market, produce, distribute, and sell the product.

Dan
Old November 8, 2001, 12:51   #25
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
goodie. let me just mail it back to my friend who will mail it back to EB etc etc. the point is not to return it but to have all it was advertised
Yeah...I know how you feel. But I think that may be your only option.
Old November 8, 2001, 12:58   #26
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

To be honest, I don't know much about the LE or its contents, other than the tin, manual, and fold-out tech tree, because I've actually seen them. We haven't even gotten our copies here yet, so I really don't know what else is or isn't in the box. Typically, though, the packaging and contents of game boxes are driven by the publisher, but I don't really know what happened in this case.

Note that I'm not pointing any fingers, because I really don't know what happened. I'm just stating a fact, that typically developers do what they do best, which is make the game. Publishers do the rest: market, produce, distribute, and sell the product.

Dan
1. Maybe y'all should take just a little bit more interest in what your publishers/distributors are doing. Would not be hard to drive over to Landover Mall and pick up a copy of LE. Or to order one on Amazon.

2. Sure looks like a finger point to me. I guess people's recourse is to the vendor (Best Buy, Amazon, etc.)

3. Y'all may not control how the box gets put together and distributed, granted. But you ARE the designers. You should at least be able to tell if these notes were ever written. If not, how could they possibly get packed in the box!!!
Old November 8, 2001, 13:02   #27
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

DP

Last edited by TCO; November 8, 2001 at 13:12.
Old November 8, 2001, 13:22   #28
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:

To be honest, I don't know much about the LE or its contents, other than the tin, manual, and fold-out tech tree, because I've actually seen them.
Couldn't you perhaps e-mail or even call Infogrames?
Because we know that Firaxis has at least some
links to Infogrames. So just get in touch with them!

Or perhaps Firaxis can't afford a phone call.
Old November 8, 2001, 13:34   #29
Kautilya
King

La Russo,
Been there done that. When I saw the LE I was so outraged with it that it almost soured me on the game itself. I have returned the LE so I guess I am not that bothered now.

Dan,
" I don't know much about the LE or its contents, other than the tin, manual, and
fold-out tech tree, because I've actually seen them."

Then I am kind of disappointed that the tech tree passed Firaxis' quality standards. It was the worst poster I have seen in any strategy game including Civ2 and SMAC.

. The print was out of focus and it was too small. In fact it was just a bunch of screenshots; no one had even bothered to draw the thing properly.

Not to mention the lack of any information other than the tree itself; compared to Civ 2 where you had units and terrain information.

Making the tech poster a fold-out was a good idea IMO but it should have done properly like in Imperialism 2,AOK or Railroad Tycoon 2. The Imperialism 2 poster for instance (since it is the game most similiar to Civ3) has the tech tree printed properly on one side and the units,terrain and hot-key information on the other side. It is compact (would have fit nicely into the LE box) and highly useful.

And all these other poster were included free with the regular edition which makes the LE poster doubly disgraceful.

Last edited by Kautilya; November 8, 2001 at 13:41.
Old November 8, 2001, 13:56   #30
Steve Clark
King

Quote:

Dan
And this is from the Firaxis Marketing Department?!?