Old November 7, 2001, 15:36   #1
Cougz
Settler

Local Time: 08:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Length of Anarchy between Gov switching
I can't find if anyone has brought this up before, but what do people think about the 6 turns of Anarchy when switching Governments? (Unless you have Religious as one of your characteristics).

My Thoughts:

It should be variable, anywhere from 1 - 8 turns.

Its length would depend on several things such as, 1) level of culture in comparison to the other civs, 2) type of Gov changing from, 3) military power, 4) starvation.

Details:

1) If a civ has the highest culture rating of all civs, I would expect the populace to be proud of it and anxious to get past the anarchy so that they can keep growing their superior culture. The civ with the least culture would likely have a populace who doesn't care so much, at least not from a cultural stand point.

2) When switching from a more controling system (Despotism, Monarchy) the time of Anarchy should be shorter because the people are more used to taking orders. Whereas a population used to Democracy propbably won't be too happy about switching to say, Communism.

3) Strong military more likely to keep the people under control, therefore less Anarchy, weak military has opposite effect.

4) If on the first turn of Anarchy a fair number of cities are suffering starvation, Anarchy should last longer, hungry people are hard to control. If there is no starvation at all then the switch should be smoother.

Any thoughts?

Old November 7, 2001, 15:38   #2
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 10:17
i wish it worked that way =(

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old November 7, 2001, 15:46   #3
Cougz
Settler

Similar to 4 on my list, happiness could also be a factor

though not too much, otherwise e'one will bump the luxuries right up before switching govs
Old November 7, 2001, 16:21   #4
Cougz
Settler

Actually to make all that work the city improvements should continue to operate during the transition, or at the least, the civ should still have to pay the upkeep. This would make it hard to max the luxuries because of the need for revenue.

And yes, the improvements need to have upkeep, even during 100+ years of Anarchy...
Old November 7, 2001, 17:39   #5
Jeff George
Settler

Local Time: 11:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Cougz
Similar to 4 on my list, happiness could also be a factor

though not too much, otherwise e'one will bump the luxuries right up before switching govs
I kind of like this idea, actually. Consider: if you were a rebel leader planning a coup, you would do everything in your power to win the support of the people. In Civ terms: bump up the luxuries. In reality this wouldn't consist of luxuries but would abstractly represent your attempts to win the hearts of the people.
Old November 7, 2001, 18:02   #6
Cougz
Settler

For what it is worth, here are some possible specs on length of Anarachy. Each factor has the possibility of adding turns to the time Anarchy exists.

Culture

Civ is in top 25% in Culture points (compared with other Civs) = 0 added turns
In next 25% = 1 added turn
In bottom 50% = 2 added turns

Military

Average of 5 or more units per city = 0 added turns
Average of 3-5 units per city = 1 added turn
Average of less than 3 units per city = 2 added turns

Gov type switching from - to.

Switching to Democracy or Republic from any other type = 0 turns added.
Switching to Communism or Monarchy from Dem or Rep = 1 turn added
Switching to Despotism from Com or Mon = 1 turn added
Switching to Des from Dem or Rep = 2 turns added

Starvation

More than 20% of cities facing starvation = 1 turn added

Happiness

Less than 1 in 10 citizens happy = 1 turn added.

Full upkeep must be paid for all buildings during period of Anarchy. Effect of city improvements halved.

Under those settings a civ switching from Monarchy to Democracy, who has 3.5 units per city, 1 in every 12 citizens happy, no starvation, and is 2nd highest for culture points in a 12 civ game would have Anarchy for 2 turns.

A civ switching from Dem to Com, with 5.5 units per city, 5th highest culture points in 16 civ game, lots of starvation but few happy citizens would have Anarchy for 4 turns.

Yes No ???
Old November 7, 2001, 20:38   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010

Happiness

More than 5% cities in civil disorder = 2 added turns
Old November 8, 2001, 13:28   #8
Cougz
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff George

I kind of like this idea, actually. Consider: if you were a rebel leader planning a coup, you would do everything in your power to win the support of the people. In Civ terms: bump up the luxuries. In reality this wouldn't consist of luxuries but would abstractly represent your attempts to win the hearts of the people.

Very true, particularly if switching to a more representative type of Gov. If you have a big treasury, you could do that.