Old November 7, 2001, 16:43   #1
Brutus66
Prince

Local Time: 16:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mandatory Retirement??!!
I am playing my second game, on the next-to-easiest diffuculty level.
I am the English. In the late middle ages, Ghandi decides he wants to expand- on my continent! I don't have the military power ready to conquer him alone, but I am advanced technologically, so I can hold off his constant incursions.
Instead, I build a coalition with the Germans, Egyptians, and the powerful French.
After Ghandi manages to raze one of my cities, I kill the units responsible for the atrocity and build another out of the ruins with the same name. The Egyptian navy sinks the ships that transported the murderers to my shores.
To exact revenge, two galleons of riflemen are sent a long distance across the map to the Indian nation. They manage to capture a large city, but the other members of the alliance are already in-country, and making progress against the Indians quickly. All cities are either captured or destroyed before I have a chance at them. Ghandi makes a last ditch diplomatic effort, but it's too little too late.
A long period of peace follows, and the English continue to build infrustructure and excel in science, but the military is neglected. The French grow ever larger, their unsophisticated army enormous. Things finally come to a head in the 1960's, and war erupts. Only three nations remain, the English, French, and the Egytians; and England finds itself alone against them.
England shares a small border with the French on a peninsula connecting two continents. The Egyptians are on the far side of France; they must pass through the French to get to the front. At this border is a key British city, Nottingham- the French and Egyptians must take it to reach the rest of the thinly-defended empire beyond.
England has technology on her side- railroads quickly transport riflemen to Nottingham as they are created to reinforce the beleagured garrison.
Waves of knights, swordsmen, and pikemen attack. English riflemen go from regulars to veterans to elite in one to two turns. Often they are killed immediately after reaching elite status in the onslaught.
Disease also takes it's toll- jungles surround Nottingham, and some riflemen die of the scourge while in fortifications.
A British bomber unit and two artillery units join the fray and weaken the enemy's forces. Nottingham holds, but the war quickly loses support among the Empire's citizens as the FRench and Egyptian sources of several luxury items are cut off. The democracy is in chaos. Cities go into revolt everywhere. Production stops. Battleships and carriers that were close to completion sit unfinished. Messages arrive that the angry mob in this city or that city are destroying improvements. Like in Neville Chamberlain's time, the government has to be re-formed. A communist-style system is instituted, and the nation finally returns to work.
The situation in Nottigham is desperate again by now, and riflemen once again start to flow in. French troops land by galleon in a part of the empire far from the front, but thanks to the railroad, troops are rushed in to deal with them, but they just barely manage.
The much awaited carrier is launched, but with no aircraft as of yet. Soon after, a battleship (the second in the fleet) is launched.
More bombers are built. The Fench and Egyptians are at the gates in strength, however, and the reinforcements have far to travel.
The situation at Nottingham looks grim. The defenders must hold-very few troops are garrisoned in the empire's other major cities. If Nottingham falls, The French will find that the remainder of England's defences are paper-thin.
Wave after wave attacks. Then, when it seems things are at their lowest ebb, a leader, Edward, appears, and rallies the ragged defenders into an army.
More reinforcements arrive. Bombers and artillery pound the enemy lines, and cavaly mop up the weakened survivors.
The second battleship finally reaches the battle area. Things are starting to turn around!!
And then a message...mandatory retirement is imminent...no!!!!!
Old November 7, 2001, 19:38   #2
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
When you think about it 6050 years is a rather long reign by anyones standards............

You can still keep playing - It's just not scored.
Old November 7, 2001, 21:30   #3
samsmithnz
Chieftain

Well written!!!
Old November 7, 2001, 22:11   #4
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Yeah, you can keep playing - but for some reason these games always seem to get boring and pointless when you know it's not going to be scored anymore... and I don't even care about scores.
Old November 11, 2001, 08:57   #5
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:17
hahahaa
modern warfare is SO COOL. massive attacks, epic tank battles, conscription, massacres.....whoa. sue for peace while you can, throw them anything you have for peace. then bid your time....
osweld, you are trying to say that the game is boring if you cannot win or you know that you cannot?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.