Old June 25, 2002, 19:04   #61
khyron
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Hella
i also like her (Joan) in the ancient - the horned helmet is such a bold fashion statement.
You know...is it just me, or does Ancient Joanie kinda have a Sarah McLachlan sort of look to her....

...ya know what I'm sayin'?

Oh, and someone recently described Catherine in some post somewhere as a highly evolved bulldog. I really have to agree with that description.
Old July 4, 2002, 16:22   #62
The Bloody Baro
Prince

Local Time: 12:17
I was kickin the crap out of Caeser so I go to him with the usual our troops approachBLA BLA BLA. So he says " Fool! do you think we are afraid of your puny soldiers? Well as fate would have it we are. We accept.
Old July 8, 2002, 11:04   #63
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 10:17
POTENTIAL ridiculous leader:

All Hail, Bibendum, Ruler of the Kingdom of Michelin!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ph111e.gif
Views:	186
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	19089  
Old July 15, 2002, 01:50   #64
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 08:17
Alexander looks like he's gay, wearing makeup, and his hat in the medievil ages is ridiculous and his modern age spectacles are stupid. Catherine is covered with warts and facial distortations, and when you look at the screen with the circles of heads and all the different leaders, when Cathy is made it you she has the weirdest face ever.

I fell out of my chair laughing when I read the buzz lightyear caesar thing.

Edit: Someone said no one likes the Iroquois-they're my second favorite civ.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 16, 2002, 21:15   #65
Barfus
Warlord

Local Time: 11:17
Location: I am the last Roman. Or is it Irish-Roman-American?
yeah, i really liked the buzz lightyear thing. reading all these is making me want to go dl every one of those leader heads. you guys are f'ing funny. i never put much thought into it, but the faces are pretty bad. and mao does look stoned when he smiles. im gonna go home and play right now just to see the faces. and alexander does look pretty gay/boyish
Old July 17, 2002, 18:15   #66
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 09:17
I went to China back in May and found officially distributed Civ3 in many stores. The Chinese version of Civ3 uses Li Shimin instead of Mao. I think the reason is not only Taiwanese won't buy it, but also mainland censors don't allow the 'great' chairman to be ridiculed.

Last edited by Lord Merciless; July 18, 2002 at 19:22.
Old July 17, 2002, 18:27   #67
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 09:17
Most funny leaders:

Modern Age Joan of Arc as femi-nazi, chemo-patient, GI-Joan, Sinead O'Arc, or whomever you want to call her.

Modern Age Hammurabi as Dr Evil.

Medieval Age Mao in renaissance hat.

Industrial Age Caesar in derby hat.
Old July 18, 2002, 10:42   #68
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
Most funny leaders:

Modern Age Hammurabi as Dr Evil.
LOL

We should change his diplomacy dialogue. "Hello, A$, are you here to get back your Mojo?" (where A$ is the human player's name)
Old July 18, 2002, 15:18   #69
Panzer Elite
Settler

I think that Mao looks kinda funny in his Fur hat.
Old July 19, 2002, 12:36   #70
Nilat
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
King

I think mao tse tsung look funny too in ancient time :laugh: but I think Bismark look funny when his smiling
Old July 19, 2002, 17:14   #71
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Stalin II
I think mao tse tsung look funny too in ancient time :laugh: but I think Bismark look funny when his smiling
Smiling, he looks like he's on drugs or something.
Old July 20, 2002, 20:45   #72
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 18:17
Hmh... The looks of the leaders aren't nearly as ridiculous as the choices...
Old July 20, 2002, 21:04   #73
yellfromhell
Warlord

If Elizabeth II was Civ3 english leader we could organize a bulldog fight against Catherine

Last edited by yellfromhell; July 22, 2002 at 07:41.
Old July 24, 2002, 03:40   #74
Chakra
Settler

As funny as...?
Hi,
For all the true believers (i.e. those who've been playing Civ 1 on) - do you guys get the feeling that the dialogue boxes and other conversations/text were more witty and amusing in Civ 1/2? Civ 3 has it's funny moments as well, but they don't seem to be as witty (perhaps sophisticated?) as the older ones. I seem to remember deriving a certain pleasure from saying things like,
"Consequences, Shmonsequences" to an angry Elizabeth. Or am I mistaken, lost in a nostalgic haze for the innocent pleasures of my now long-lost youth?
Old July 25, 2002, 13:35   #75
Red Hand
Settler

Incidentally, apparently Alexander was gay, as much as we can know these things. Check out a gay hero website for proof. The site also has a very inspirational piece on Joan of Arc, although she was not a lesbian herself.
Old December 29, 2002, 04:39   #76
HolyWarrior
Prince

bumping this back up for the PTW leaders. Am I the only one who thinks Hannibal resembles the bearded lady? And someone beat ol' Temujin with an ugly stick when he was little...
Old December 29, 2002, 20:40   #77
King_Henry
Chieftain

Does anyone else notice that wart on Cathy's face? It scares the piss out of me. And Joan dresses like a man most of the time. Lizzy looks like she trying to stare at her nose. And as for Caeser, I never knew they had hair gel in the ancient times.
Old December 31, 2002, 04:21   #78
High_Lord
Chieftain

haha Catherine looks like aunt Bee from Mayberry
Old January 30, 2003, 00:07   #79
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Thanks for solving the LiShiMin/Mao mystery. That sounds pretty believable - and let's be honest, Firaxis has hardly made any real attempt to portray Mao (or any other leader) in a particularly serious fashion.
Old January 30, 2003, 15:11   #80
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Actually, I think Firaxis made a real effort to make all leaders look and talk funny.

Alexander is supposed to look young; the typical US college student has already lived longer than Alexander did.
Old February 2, 2003, 00:04   #81
Underseer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
I like how Mao is represented.

Despite all the Cold War propaganda, he wasn't the kind of leader Stalin was. He meant well for the Chinese people and felt communism was the only way to bring together an Empire in decline. I think in retrospect, taking into account the disasters that were cultural revolution and the great leap forward, Communism may have been the best thing that have happened to China. It stabilized the country and made it possible for it to develop economically and I'm very very impressed with its Economic growth in the last 20 years.

China, hopefully, should be restored as one of the great world powers this century. As a Chinese, there is part of me would very much want to see that happen.

I sincerely hope the emerging middle class will inititate change that will turn China into a strong Democratic Republic, because if it can change to that form of government, with its freedoms, both personal and economic, China's economic potential is limitless and could simply dwarf America's. A 50 Trillion dollar GDP ? that's very likely and then it will truly be the central country of the human race.

I think in the next millenia, the greatest test of humanity would be to put aside cultural and racial differences and work together as a group, whether it happens via the United Nations, or through the sheer power and influence of great powers like the United States or China or perhaps a consortium or major world blocs.. If that doesn't happen we will have a very rough road ahead as a race.

Asian pride!
I'm sailing way off topic here. Flame away!

In spite of the horror stories I've heard from Chinese immigrants—particularly those who lived through the Cultural Revolution—I really think China should remain Communist for a bit longer yet.

I'm sure a lot of Chinese Americans will demand my head for even suggesting that.

Experiences in India (and elsewhere) show that older, more conservative civilizations have serious difficulty limiting population growth under a democratic government. Why? They have trouble fully embracing women's lib, which is the only reliable and ethical means of bringing birth rates down in a democracy.

Not being able to lower birth rates can have serious consequences on the per capita prosperity of a nation (e.g. Saudi Arabia, India, etc.), which can cause serious problems for a newly evolving democracy. As a general rule, democracies don't fare well amid widespread poverty; new democracies even less so.
Old February 2, 2003, 00:19   #82
XarXo
Prince

ROFTL-MAO-TSE-TUNG...
Yes, yes, is pathetic, sorry
Old February 22, 2003, 16:48   #83
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

underseer - we're really off topic, but I think you'll find that a lot of Chinese tend to support their government implicitly. A lot of them have a sort of "It ain't broke, so don't try to fix it" mentality.

Now if you're talking about Chinese Americans, you have a different batch of people entirely. Many of them are in America because of compelling political reasons, many of which are from bygone eras and long dead.

Either way, I think you might be surprised to find how many Chinese people would agree with what you say. Then again, it's been my experience that the average Chinese person has much less interest in politics than the average Westerner.
Old February 22, 2003, 16:51   #84
Abdul-Aziz
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:17
Arabian leader... I would have chosen Prophet Muhamad...
Old February 24, 2003, 07:04   #85
Beren
Warlord

Local Time: 17:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Abdul-Aziz
Arabian leader... I would have chosen Prophet Muhamad...
So would I
Old February 25, 2003, 14:14   #86
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Arabia: Should've been Mohammed

Ottomans: Should've been Suleiman

Celts: Should've been Larry Bird

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 25, 2003, 15:38   #87
Abdul-Aziz
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:17
Master Zen, :-)
Old March 19, 2003, 20:12   #88
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Muhammad?!! By gum...what a terrible thought!!

LOL!

You know, the Muslims don't like anyone to illustrate old Muhammad, especially not with some 'Defeat Screen'...good grief. Any two of those, but especially a combination, would probably, tragically, result in a mysterious, giant explosion at Firaxis HQ, or some anthrax sent to Sid Meier, or something equally unfortunate and unexplainable.
Old March 20, 2003, 19:33   #89
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Re: As funny as...?
Quote:
Originally posted by Chakra
Hi,
For all the true believers (i.e. those who've been playing Civ 1 on) - do you guys get the feeling that the dialogue boxes and other conversations/text were more witty and amusing in Civ 1/2? Civ 3 has it's funny moments as well, but they don't seem to be as witty (perhaps sophisticated?) as the older ones. I seem to remember deriving a certain pleasure from saying things like,
"Consequences, Shmonsequences" to an angry Elizabeth. Or am I mistaken, lost in a nostalgic haze for the innocent pleasures of my now long-lost youth?
Well,

I liked the Egyptian and Zulu messengers a lot better in Civ2.
Old March 20, 2003, 19:38   #90
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Arabia: Should've been Mohammed

Ottomans: Should've been Suleiman

Celts: Should've been Larry Bird
LET'S GO SIXERS!!!