View Poll Results: Which was the most powerful civ ever?
English 83 18.36%
Chinese 45 9.96%
Russians 17 3.76%
Romans 104 23.01%
USA 112 24.78%
Persians 4 0.88%
French 0 0%
Aztecs 2 0.44%
Japanese 2 0.44%
Greeks 21 4.65%
Germans 16 3.54%
Babylonians 0 0%
Egyptians 3 0.66%
Spanish 22 4.87%
Indians 2 0.44%
Other (please specify) 19 4.20%
Voters: 452. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 2, 2001, 12:15   #241
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 17:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Jasev!!!!

Uh-oh ... this is not supposed to happen ...
Old December 2, 2001, 14:04   #242
EEKthedog
Chieftain

egovalor, thanks for proving all my points
Old December 2, 2001, 15:34   #243
Oligarf
Warlord

I think that the first Civ was the most powerful, there was only one. Just building on what was left isn't greatness, building something on nothing that is true greatness. If I think of the most powerful Civs of this world I think of Crete, Jericho, Petra, the Civs of the Indus, the region of Baghdad (sorry I know that is Iraq nowadays but it was great long time ago).

Saying the USA is the most powerful is crap of course but everyone understands that I hope!
Old December 2, 2001, 15:36   #244
Oligarf
Warlord

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=28065http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=28065

And this thread to make clear I am right.
Old December 2, 2001, 16:51   #245
Evil Robot
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:19
Quote:
Originally posted by EEKthedog

I've been in the USA for a year, and a vast majority of the people did not know jack **** about anything outside the USA. It was sickening. You try to prove something here with only 1 example, yourself. I am not going to even bother to start a debate with someone who's perception does not go beyond his own self. (You reflect your nation though, only looking to yourself)
I'm sorry you can't understand an example.

Let's take a minute back to look at the evidence:
1) You make a post insulting the 'average' Americans knowledge.
2) I respond with a simple example, repudiating you by showing you HOW RIDICULOUS YOUR ARGUMENT IS.

"Well, I was there a year and I know everything..." doesn't cut it, buster. America's a pretty big country, and I know it. In fact, I've been here my whole life and I maybe know -well- 1/50th of it. You've been here a YEAR and you know what's right and wrong?

I believe you're the one with problems; not I.
Old December 2, 2001, 22:58   #246
NeoBlade
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:19
China
I voted for CHina because, mathmaticly they are the most powerfull throughout history. Back when Rome was fielding armies of 10-30000 men, the Chinese were fielding armies of 100000-300000 men. THe one time ROme reportedly ran into a chinese army it was completely obliterated.

Think about it, its been around over 4000 years, and has remained the most powerful country on this planet ot this day. YOu can say America is more dominant, but it chould never beat a billion people. Not to mention the fact our economy whould completely and utterly crash.

Sure, America is more dominant planet wise, but thats just because of Chinas isolationist polocies. Sure, they condemned the 11th attacks and, weather you know it or not, harbour a deep seeded hate of the taliban. BUt they do not send troops, why? Foreign polocy. They're culture dosen't influence the world because its not one that can be readily acepted. China is all its own, has remained untainted and pure for 4000 years and retained its power.

Pleae don't call me a traitor, I'm merely stateing facts. I know chinas communist, well, they try. ^^;;
Old December 2, 2001, 23:19   #247
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 02:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: China
Quote:
Originally posted by NeoBlade
I voted for CHina because, mathmaticly they are the most powerfull throughout history. Back when Rome was fielding armies of 10-30000 men, the Chinese were fielding armies of 100000-300000 men. THe one time ROme reportedly ran into a chinese army it was completely obliterated.
Which alleged encounter was this? Just curious.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old December 3, 2001, 00:47   #248
ranskaldan
Prince

Local Time: 11:19
Quote:
Think about it, its been around over 4000 years, and has remained the most powerful country on this planet ot this day. YOu can say America is more dominant, but it chould never beat a billion people. Not to mention the fact our economy whould completely and utterly crash.
A war between China and America (may it never happen ever) will end up as a nuclear holocaust, on both sides. And besides, the Chinese economy would completely and utterly crash too.

Quote:
Sure, America is more dominant planet wise, but thats just because of Chinas isolationist polocies.
You'd have been right 400 years ago. During that time, if China chose to be non-isolationist, it would probably be able to dominate the world totally. But today? Today the world is dominated by the United States, and China isn't capable of changing that yet. Give her at least 50-100 years more.

Quote:
Sure, they condemned the 11th attacks and, weather you know it or not, harbour a deep seeded hate of the taliban.
Of course they do. The largest province of China, Xinjiang, is Muslim, and has a separatist movement, supported partly by the Al-Qaeda. So? How does that relate to your point?

Quote:
BUt they do not send troops, why? Foreign polocy. They're culture dosen't influence the world because its not one that can be readily acepted.
I don't exactly see how American culture is 'readily accepted', judging from the reactions on this forum. American culture, as far as I can see, has basically been forced down everyone's throats, be it the Europeans, Muslims, or Asians.

Quote:
China is all its own, has remained untainted and pure for 4000 years and retained its power.
Ah... and that's exactly where the problem lies. It remained untainted and pure, and thus fell behind.

Now, if this poll had been, "which civ was the most culturally advanced?", or "which civ held onto power the longest", or "which civ dominated the longest"? I'd probably vote for the Chinese. But "power"? No civ has ever, ever, ever been able to hold power over the entire globe the way America does, totally unrivalled.
Old December 3, 2001, 00:59   #249
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 02:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm interested in the idea of China remaining 'untainted and pure.'

No influence from Indian religion, Buddhism?

No influence from Persian christianity (Nestorianism) ?

No Arab/Turkish/Islamic influence?

www.oxy.edu/~barber/urumchi.htm

Or earlier?

The Silk Road was not a one way street....

www.levity.com/alchemy/islam12.html

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old December 3, 2001, 06:06   #250
chiren
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by S. Kroeze

I also completely agree that China will be the dominant economic power in the world again in the near future as it was during the T'ang and Sung!
there are economic-experts which expect china do control the world economy in 10 or 20 years like amerca does it now (or did it the last years) - but we'll see.

btw i think the american golden age lastet the last years until your last "presidental election"
Old December 3, 2001, 14:38   #251
Fresno
Warlord

Back to topic!
Why are we only debating about America here? If you want to discuss America's role in history, please do it here.

This thread should be about all history and about the entire world. Stop discussing only one place at one time!