Old November 7, 2001, 23:08   #1
EnderSword
Settler

Local Time: 12:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Defend Self & Gain tech @ Deity
I kinda stumbled upon this strategy by accident While playing a deity Game. I've only got about 8 cities compared to the 30-40 owned by each of the other 7 civs. Purely through their expansionist ways the Babylonians began to entirly surround me, my capital cut off from the rest of my empire and slowly the space between those cities was being filled by Babylon, england and the iroqouis.

Then Without Warning...England declares war. They only have 2 cities near me so their attack effort was minimal, so I was able to grab both cities with little force. Then It occured to me that I probably couldn't hold them for long.

So I traded one City to Babylon in exchange for 3 techs and some gold, then traded the other back to England for peace and 2 techs.

Then I attacked the iroqouis about 50 turns laters and did the same thing. eventually I Surrounded myself with Babylon entirely, who loves me for giving them all these cities and conducting so much trade. Other civs routinely declare war now, but not a single attack force has ever entered my territory 'cause they won't violate the babylonian Border =)

i've gotta about 18 techs this way so far.
Think the strategy holds water?
Old November 8, 2001, 01:21   #2
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 10:19
If you think that you cant hold them then is sounds like a good idea to me.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old November 8, 2001, 01:37   #3
mrbilll
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:19
That's fine as far as it goes, but it's got to be just a matter of time before Babylon gets a notion and annhilates you. Do you have a plan for winning, or are you just trying to survive?
Old November 8, 2001, 02:46   #4
Awender
Settler

Local Time: 17:19
I think that Civ3 has a very finely chiseled diplomacy system, where the cautious and smart can find a way around even in the most difficult situations.

The above example is just one. I would be interested about the end game as well.
Old November 8, 2001, 03:08   #5
CygnusZ
Warlord

Local Time: 16:19
It depends upon the extremes. How crippled are you anyway? If the Babylonians percieve you as any sort of a threat they'll shred you apart.

You're pretty ****ed if you attempt the space race. That paints a gigantic bulls-eye on your empire.

I like the AI... it treats foreign powers well. If it is benefical to be peaceful it will be peaceful... if not.. well ...
Old November 8, 2001, 13:53   #6
kalishatra
Settler

Local Time: 16:19
that's a very nice little strategy, being the hole in the babylonian donut.

Two problems: firstly, surrounding yourself w/ the Borg, i mean Babylonians, is risky as they generally have such a strong culture you risk having some cities assimilated. if not, fine.

the second problem is more serious. the one real problem w/ Diplomacy in CivIII is with trading cities. the AI vastly overvalues any city trade you offer. I've had to give up ever selling any cities because its too unfair. I just give them away (if they're some shithole i don't want) or add them in as a peace negotiation bonus (which at least makes some sense).

other than that, the surround strat is cool for deity. winning, however, is anothe matter