Old November 8, 2001, 02:18   #1
Ezra
Settler

Local Time: 16:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The World vs You
I am encountering this inconvenience where all the AI civs are declaring war on me. For no provocation. When looking at the Diplomacy screen, I see red flylines everywhere, and all military alliances against me. Soon enough, you have Jaguar Warriors, Impis, and all other foreign units ravaging your country like jackrabbits.

I also experience the Diplomatic double-standard others have seen. Basically, you see AI civ A letting AI civ B walk 20 units through its borders to me without Rite of Passage. Of course when civ B reaches my border, both A and B declare war on me. How realistic is that? If covert/conspiracy Rite of Passages are allowed, then it is redundant to have Rite of Passage flylines appear on the Diplomacy screen.

These "inconveniences" happened over several games I started (and didn't finish because of this and other gripes). I thought that playing Emperor was the source of the problem, but I see other postings with similar experiences on easier levels.

I welcome a realistic challenge. I like to see AI civs acting in their self interests as autonomous nations. Having ALL civs declare war against you for no reason is just stretching reality. I know other fans like challenges too, but it would be cooler if challenges are brought about without AI double-standards and escape from reality. I am also tempted to mention cheat, but let's leave the benefit of a doubt.

Here are some other things that I would like improved:

1. Diplomacy. Can't appreciate how it has improved over Civ 2. In fact, I had a negative experience so far. The AI often offers you these Win-Lose negotiations. e.g. Ceremonial Burial for Mathematics and all your gold. How about a win-win once in a while? I just don't feel like talking to any other leaders at all.

2. Catapults/bombardment. Lame. Check the other posts. A catapult (if lucky) takes away one health point from a Jaguar Warrior. You know how fast Montezuma piles Jaguar Warriors in your land? Why bother including useless units in the game?

3. Corruption/scaling. Check the other posts too. It'd be nice if you could be a conquerer in a huge map and not be limited with the low corruption trigger.

Can't say I am thrilled about Civ 3 yet. Does playing an easier level make the game more enjoyable and realistic? Sure hope so.

Thanks
Old November 8, 2001, 02:40   #2
Awender
Settler

Local Time: 17:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Right of passage: Anybody crossing your border without that can be warned. They have in that case two choices: withdraw or war.

All Civs declaring war on you is realistic. Usually when somebody bears war against me, I immediately seek the help of all other civs and give them they want for the military alliance. That's much better than having them on the opposite site.

My only advice is: if you find the Emperor too tough, you should try a lower level.

Corruption is not a problem at me, I find it very realistic.