Old November 8, 2001, 16:34   #31
Myrddin
Warlord

Local Time: 16:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I score a zero and will be getting Civ III soon after its UK release

What was missing from Yin's review was the balance between having Civ III 'as is' NOW and having it with MP/editor/patches in 6 months time - just think of buying Civ III now as pre-ordering and participating in an open test if it makes you feel happier
Old November 8, 2001, 16:38   #32
Trifna
King

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Way the go Yin

I always apreciate your criticism, should it be metaphoric or not
Old November 8, 2001, 16:51   #33
HawaiiFive-O
Warlord

Nice review Yin, and your quiz method was unique.

I scored a +6, boosted by my utter lack of interest in Multiplayer.

It's a good game now. It will be a better game after a couple of patches. And I will buy the MGE the second it comes out (provided there are additional goodies other than just Multiplayer).

The fortunate thing is EUII comes out in about a week too, so I can't get burned out on either game. I'll alternate campaigns in each.

I'm in gamer heaven.
Old November 9, 2001, 09:23   #34
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 12:20
My thanks to all of you for the kind words about the quiz!

Yes, it was my idea. I sat down and said: "How can I write a review that allows me to show my measured disappointment yet be open to people either more or less critical than I am? Also, how can I help people of various expectations predict if they'll enjoy the game or not?"

A little while and many edits and practice quizes later: Yin's Civ3 Expectation Scale! LOL!

Anyway, glad you guys found it different and at least moderately helpful.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 9, 2001, 09:44   #35
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Good review. I score:

[-1]I want Civ3 to be Alpha Centauri +
[+1]I don't mind the absence of MP/Editor since I am confident they will come later and I am happy with single player now.
[+1]I accept bugs as part of the process and am willing to wait for patches.
[-1]I want all game concepts to be readily understandable and open to strategic manipulation in a clear and intuitive way.
[0]I like an AI that will press an advantage - but not necessarily all the time.
[+1]I like big weapons to be an important part of the game but not necessarily as important in game-terms as are their real-world equivalents.
[+1]I think good graphics and sounds are important but not a defining part of the game.
[0]I believe a manual should have good detail, but I realise that due to late additions, it cannot be correct in all areas
[+1]I think the interface is good enough if I can learn it rather quickly, even if it's a little quirky.
[+1]I accept that the end game will necessarily see longer turns ... even very long turns ... though I hope for patches if needed.

+4 - hmm, when I did this 2 nights ago, I was -1...

Ah well, call it +2 or so. Reasonably accurate. I'm aware of every bad point you mention, and I can cope. You and Korn have made up my mind, I'm buying CivIII. Rest assured I won't hold it against you...
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old November 9, 2001, 10:17   #36
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 11:20
Good method Yin - I tested out at a (-2) - so based on that, I should enjoy what the game has to offer at this point in time.

However, I am still concerned about several areas - and since I have yet to get the game, the Forums are the only place to get a perspective on how things are working in it - so excuse any ignorance on my part.

1. Combat - There are a lot of reports about the combat producing more than normal skewed results, where ancient units win a lot against modern units. I do not think this will be patched in, as this will require a complete reworking of the model. However, this is an area that can be modded - provided that the editor is fixed.

2. Corruption - The one thing that troubles me are the reports that despite the necessary improvements built by a player, corruption is very unmanageable. It does not pay to set up on another continent. The thing is, that adjustments to corruption setting will also work toward the AI, so an adjustment in this area could make the game less frustrating for the player. He will feel that he is able to accomplish something, rather than beating his head on the wall after doing what he was supposed to do to limit corruption.

3. Culture - Again, this is one area where there are reports of players doing the right thing to maintain culture, and then losing a city to a culturally inferior city - as well as getting no warning whatsoever that he will lose his city and all troops in it. Face it, when the most attractive option in capturing a city is to raze it (and this seems to be the norm), something is wrong. Once again, frustrating...

4. System requirements. I have a PII-350 with 192 RAM, and there are reports about the incredibly long wait on turns on systems more powerful than mine. I refuse to go out and buy a new computer for the sake of a game, especially when the system I have works well for everything else I play.

5. The lack of promised features. Do I want to buy a game and then have to fork over additional money for a good editor? I am hoping that this will be patched in.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old November 9, 2001, 12:19   #37
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Just to give you my prespective on the below:

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
Good method Yin - I tested out at a (-2) - so based on that, I should enjoy what the game has to offer at this point in time.

However, I am still concerned about several areas - and since I have yet to get the game, the Forums are the only place to get a perspective on how things are working in it - so excuse any ignorance on my part

1. Combat - There are a lot of reports about the combat producing more than normal skewed results, where ancient units win a lot against modern units. I do not think this will be patched in, as this will require a complete reworking of the model. However, this is an area that can be modded - provided that the editor is fixed.
I agree, we have to wait for the editor, but there is hope
Quote:
2. Corruption - The one thing that troubles me are the reports that despite the necessary improvements built by a player, corruption is very unmanageable. It does not pay to set up on another continent. The thing is, that adjustments to corruption setting will also work toward the AI, so an adjustment in this area could make the game less frustrating for the player. He will feel that he is able to accomplish something, rather than beating his head on the wall after doing what he was supposed to do to limit corruption..
Soren said that this will be (most likely) addresses in the first patch. plus I don't think that all players who are complaining are using all the options available like forbidden palace and WLTK day for example.

Quote:
3. Culture - Again, this is one area where there are reports of players doing the right thing to maintain culture, and then losing a city to a culturally inferior city - as well as getting no warning whatsoever that he will lose his city and all troops in it. Face it, when the most attractive option in capturing a city is to raze it (and this seems to be the norm), something is wrong. Once again, frustrating.....
I can't wait to get the game and see this for myself, but this seems like a potential gameplay problem

Quote:
4. System requirements. I have a PII-350 with 192 RAM, and there are reports about the incredibly long wait on turns on systems more powerful than mine. I refuse to go out and buy a new computer for the sake of a game, especially when the system I have works well for everything else I play.
apparently a lot depends on the system compatibility and drivers, there are many people who play at older machines and the game runs well.

Quote:
5. The lack of promised features. Do I want to buy a game and then have to fork over additional money for a good editor? I am hoping that this will be patched in.
that is suckage but dang I know that initially they said MP will be patched.
Old November 9, 2001, 14:07   #38
ProfessorPhobos
Chieftain

About those long turn times....is anyone holding down Shift? Supposedly it speeds it up quite a bit. There's also supposed to be a hot key to make it so you don't have to hold down shift to speed up the other guy's turns, but I haven't found it yet.
Old November 9, 2001, 14:59   #39
Stuie
King

Wow Yin! You've actually impressed me with your extremely insightful and accurate rating scale. This is great for people that don't have the game yet and want to guage their potential reaction - it really seems to work! Go figure.

I'm a +5 for the record, mainly due to the "+2" I got from the multiplayer question.
Old November 9, 2001, 15:27   #40
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: Review of Civ3 by Yin
[*][-1]I want Civ3 to be Alpha Centauri +
[*][+2]I will only play single player, so with MP/Editor or without, I will simply play.
[*][+2]I am used to bugs and don't really care if a patch is released as long as it's playable.
[*][-1]I want all game concepts to be readily understandable and open to strategic manipulation in a clear and intuitive way.

[-1]I like an AI that, if it has an advantage, always presses it.
[*][+1]I like big weapons to be an important part of the game but not necessarily as important in game-terms as are their real-world equivalents.
[*][+1]I think good graphics and sounds are important but not a defining part of the game.
[*][-1]I think a manual should be thorough, accurate and stuffed with vital information about all aspects of the game.
[*][+1]I think the interface is good enough if I can learn it rather quickly, even if it's a little quirky.
[*][-1]I think game turns should be swift from beginning to end.

According to your list, I'm +2, but I'm in absolutely no hurry to get the game, mainly because my weights on these things would be radically different than yours. I mean, I don't care about MP, so the fact that Civ3 shipped without MP means nothing to me, certainly not a plus. And I like good manuals, but if the game is good, I'll forgive. Same with lack of bugs.
Old November 9, 2001, 17:27   #41
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

[/0]I want Civ3 to be Civ2 +

Never played AC...

[+2]I will only play single player, so with MP/Editor or without, I will simply play.

I suck at all things muliplayer

[-1]I want the game out of the box to be without any major bugs that affect gameplay.

No excuses. Beta should have found any major bugs.

[-1]I want all game concepts to be readily understandable and open to strategic manipulation in a clear and intuitive way.

This is vital to any good game, esp. a TBS.
If I can't understand it, it bores me.

[-1]I like an AI that, if it has an advantage, always presses it.

Bring it on, Soren!

[+1]I like big weapons to be an important part of the game but not necessarily as important in game-terms as are their real-world equivalents.

If they were like in real life, you could never use them without being obliterated. How's that for fun

[+1]I think good graphics and sounds are important but not a defining part of the game.

Civ2 was good enough graphics for me. More is nice, but not an absolute.

[-1]I think a manual should be thorough, accurate and stuffed with vital information about all aspects of the game.

There's nothing I like more than reading a good manual.

[+1]I think the interface is good enough if I can learn it rather quickly, even if it's a little quirky.

A TBS this detailed can't be a user interface heaven. It's got to be good, but realistically I expect some initial clunkiness.

[-1]I think game turns should be swift from beggining to end.

If i wanted to wait, I'd play chess

Hey, I got a 0... sounds good to me. There should be some good patches out for Christmas (I hope) so I guess I'll still get the game this December. Your system is pretty good, Yin!
Old November 9, 2001, 17:57   #42
DickK
Settler

Yin -- nice job on the analysis (much more that a review)! Personally, I score about 0 -> -2. I'm enjoying the game but I'm very disappointed with many things. This release is more polished than the first Beta of SMAC but not as polished as the final one.

SMAC vs. Civ2 was far bigger improvement than this is. Civ3 is not a bad product but it also contains fewer innovations and improvements. It also shows a number of surprisingly "rookie" mistakes as you so aptly put it.

The in-game video sequences may be mainly eye-candy but the fact they're missing should have meant that the same time and effort went somewhere else, but it really doesn't show. I just don't get the same "wow!" feeling at all -- and I've never stopped enjoying several of the video/audio sequences in both games no matter how many times I see them. Taken alone that wouldn't be a big deal but for this and other reasons Civ3 fails, in my view, to establish the same kind of engrossing environment that Civ2 or SMAC did. As a result, at this point, I don't put it the same same class as either of those.

But I'll wait and hope to see how it really turns out after the Beta test
Old November 9, 2001, 19:02   #43
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 17:20
Great review; ingenious method!

I score a -2, just like yourself, though not always for the same reasons. My first impressions of the actual game are slightly better, in the +1/+5 category. But my opinion is still forming here, I am a pretty slow player -still at my 2nd game-, and I will need to play at least 4-5 games to really make up my mind about if I rate CivIII a 6.5/10 or a 9/10 -that would be about my range, mostly dependent on how competent the AI turns out to be.
Old November 10, 2001, 05:54   #44
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

FYI: I have decided not to play the game anymore until some serious patching is done. I fully understand there are those of you enjoying the game, and I won't get in your way.

Frankly, after a few more days of intense play, I simply find Civ3 horribly tedious, dull and buggy. And no: I won't be on these forums ranting about it, either.

Old November 10, 2001, 10:32   #45
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 10:20
Can you say "burnout"? Yin (and perhaps many others) are exhibiting the classic symptom of over indulgence. It's like diving into a vat of chocolate and gorging yourself until you are sick of it. Too much of a good thing (like the one-more-turn feeling which yin admitted to) can turn anyone against it. Now you know why I usually approach all new games slow and easy. In the 10 days I've had Civ3, I only put in 8-9 hours total (still on my first game). I will not get burned-out from playing Civ3 or any other game because the fun factor is the most important thing for me. I always try to maintain a high level of fun factor and if that means playing slow and rotating games, then that's what I'll do. Take a break, many of you have been over-indulging and thus have lost perspective. Just my advice.

On a related note. The Civ3-General forum has degraded into a complete waste of time. That is to be expected since about now, the burnout factor is showing. Hopefully in the next month, many such folks would be weeded out (as in, go elsewhere) and what we'll have left are those that can play Civ3 for fun, despite its quirks (just like what has been going on the past few years in the Civ2 forums). Personally, I will wait patiently for the scenarios, for that when the real fun begins for me.
Old November 10, 2001, 12:54   #46
siredgar
Prince

The scientific approach.
I liked the way you did your review. I got 0 or -1 and I think your accompanying description is quite good. Good job!
Old November 10, 2001, 18:08   #47
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Steve: Well, I was burned out on the forumula to begin with ... the other issues just were the straw to break the back, I suppose. Still, I'll see what the patches come up with.

siredgar: Thanks.

Old November 10, 2001, 18:10   #48
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

+10.... you surprised?

And Yin, I'm shocked! This review was rushed!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 11, 2001, 18:06   #49
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
On a related note. The Civ3-General forum has degraded into a complete waste of time.
Yeah, too much info are no info for me. The forum is filled with thread I can't read quick enough (well, I'm a pretty quick reader in italian, but english slow down me a lot) and sometime aren't worth enough the effort.

About burnout, well, it can be half fault of a very intense couple of years spent waiting and suggesting about the Civ of our dream, and half a fault of a game not ready enough to keep to the (really high) advertising from Firaxis and community expectation.

I have more faith in the game support and the positive effects of the first couple of patches than in the dust settling down "per se".

I'll try to survive and be around here to see this second trial and its effects
Old November 11, 2001, 19:49   #50
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 10:20
Adm., I look forward to that time as well, and to your valued contributions.

I think the scores on the Yin Test could corrolate directly with expectation levels. That's why, I believe, all of the controversal posts during pre-release between the pessimists, optimists and realists factions. I still say that having a realistic expectation is the proper way to go, esp in not feeling the contrived anguish that many here seem to be going through. Just my .01
Old November 11, 2001, 19:59   #51
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Yes, that's why I finally decided to call it: Yin's Civ3 Expectation Scale!.

I realized that so much of the arguments going on around here center on expectation levels. So it only makes sense to give advice to people thinking about buying the game by asking them what they expect.

My expectations weren't entirely met, but I'm still in the hopeful category. Fair enough, I say. Firaxis still has a lot of time to add in all the polish and balance here. I just hope that is their plan.

Old November 12, 2001, 03:48   #52
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Can you say "burnout"? Yin (and perhaps many others) are exhibiting the classic symptom of over indulgence. It's like diving into a vat of chocolate and gorging yourself until you are sick of it. Too much of a good thing (like the one-more-turn feeling which yin admitted to) can turn anyone against it.
my gf was away for 2 days. she came back and was shocked. i had a 3 day beard, thick smoke was hanging around our flat, beer cans everywhere and i had a lunatic's glow in my eyes (big black circles under them, of course). i just won

she said i looked like a wreck.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 12, 2001, 05:51   #53
Sikander
King

Local Time: 09:20
#1) I wanted the game to revolutionize the genre, but would have been satisfied with a game that showed 1/2 of the innovation that SMAC had. < - 1.5 >

#2) Multiplayer / Editor. I don't care much about either of these, though I do appreciate the value added when they are there. < +1 >

#3) I expect bugs, but there is no reason why major gameplay elements like interception should not work. None. The game was not ready. The scale here is flawed, I don't think that it's unrealistic to have a game that has been properly tested. < -1 >

#4) If I want mystery, I'll play Myst. < -1 >

#5) I like variable AI personalities. < 0 >

#6) I like realistic effects, like over 50 years with nuclear weapons and only two used so far. None of these categories fit that, so I give myself a < 0 >

#7) Servicible, and preferably not annoying. < +2 >

#8) A good manual, like SMACs for example, is great. It allows you to study up on some concepts where you can't be playing the game, like the bathroom. < -1 >

#9) The interface should be very good, because it will save you thousands of discreet actions over time. This interface is not good by the way, I prefer both SMAC and Civ 2. < -1 >

#10) I don't know of any way around the long turns at the end problem, other than allowing a builder type player to build in peace without playing on a larger type map. < + 2 >

Total = <-2.5>

I am already bored by Civ 3 to tell the truth, and fired SMAX back up today. Perhaps I will give Civ 3 another chance after the patches come out, but if anyone wants to buy the game from me for half price let me know. I seriously doubt that the game will really be 'fixed' enough for me to enjoy it over the long run. I won't be buying anything else with the Civ name on it. The concepts are old and played out for the most part. There will always be good new empire games coming out, but Civ has become such a franchise that apparantly it must be conservative to the point of being dull. It's too bad really, because Fireaxis is obviously capable of building really innovative games. I'm waiting for MOO 3 and praying for MOM 2.
Old November 12, 2001, 08:07   #54
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by mattcj
Interesting review... I came out a +3. I have the game although have not had time to play it, yet. I tell you though, Yin... you'd never make it in the software industry. As a developer myself, I can safely say that the pressure from above to release something on time can be quite taxing. At my company, I have a director of marketing that was ready to release my stuff with no testing at all just because when he watched a demo, it didn't crash at all!! Luckily, somebody talked some sense into him.
You stated So let me get this straight... you want them to develop a perfect game, a perfect multiplayer game, keep the world well informed of their progress, etc. In the software world, it don't work that way. The day you see that is the day the world grinds to a halt.
He didn't say he wanted a perfect game and perfect multiplayer in addition to being kept informed he said he wanted to be kept informed and to have a game that doesn't have major flaws/bugs.

This is not impossible or even unreasonable. You doubt me? Go to moo3.quicksilver.com and check that site out and tell me again how "it don't work that way."

My biggest question is this:

If Moo3 is a certified smash, then what other EXCUSE will game companies have for NOT keeping their customers informed during the development cycle?
Old November 12, 2001, 09:24   #55
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous

He didn't say he wanted a perfect game and perfect multiplayer in addition to being kept informed he said he wanted to be kept informed and to have a game that doesn't have major flaws/bugs.

This is not impossible or even unreasonable. You doubt me? Go to moo3.quicksilver.com and check that site out and tell me again how "it don't work that way."

My biggest question is this:

If Moo3 is a certified smash, then what other EXCUSE will game companies have for NOT keeping their customers informed during the development cycle?
we will see about moo3. dont believe the hype
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 12, 2001, 09:30   #56
Ozymandous
Prince

Hmm, -2 on the scale.

Pretty accurate. After being disgusted by the "facelift" only changes between Civ1 & Civ2 I was hesitant to get Civ3 even after hearing about all the supposed changes.

I bought it anyway.

Game play is a lot of fun and is different enough, with culture and resources, to bring back the fun factor of Civ1.

Problems I have with the game...

1. Not enough tech's and/or VERY slow discovery of tech's.

Thirty-two turns between discoveries? That's a tad long. How about adding MORE tech's and cutting down the time factor?? With so few advances there are to many "tech's" they try to cram into one advance.

2. Not enough construction options.

I went to war at least twice in the game sinply because I had 50-100 turns where I could build nothing of import other than "wealth". This from a player who doesn't normally go to war until either late in the game or early to get enough room to grow.

Going to war because it's more productive to build military units instead of commerce (ala the WEAK "wealth" component) doesn't seem to bode well with the idea of winning via any other means than conquest.

3. Minor other things covered by other folks.

Including:

AI building small cities on useless terrain (discovered all resources, there was nothing near these cities).

AI ignoring borders to send settlers/units across my terrain, borders should MEAN something other than for culture.

Resource "clumping". I am playing in a game now on small continents. Four civilizations had smallish "island" size continente and the rest of us are on the large land mass. There are 10 patches of oil in the game (huge, 16 civ's). Five patches of oil on the main land mass, one in my territory and 4 in the other main Civ's territory. We both control maybe 60% of the total area on the large continent. The other 5 patches of oil you wonder? They are ALL on one of the smallish "island" territories controlled by a Civ that isn't even out of the medival(sp?) age yet. I thought resources (from what I heard) are supposed to be more random/scattered than this???

Pollution causing land degredation. Has anyone actually studied the "greenhouse" theories lately? Try this on for size...

1. Global temperature goes up a fraction of a degree (which is has done for thousands of years anyway, it's a cycle, not entirely man-made).

2. Ice caps melt a little.

3. Oceans rise and more humidity goes into the air due to increased water and increased temperature.

4. More rain/snow falls due to higher humidity and increased water coverage.

4. More rain equals MORE fertile areas which in turn EQUALS more trees, bushes, etc. NOT LESS. More snow equals MORE ice in the polar regions, NOT less.

5. The cycle repeats until we start to enter another ice age (which we're still recovering from BTW).

Now then, with this simple logic in play how is it that global warming, in less than 150 game years since anyone discovered how to build factories do we have grassland already turning into plains???

I realize there should be some negative aspect to pollution but make a certain amount of citizens unhappy (that can't be mollified due to luxuries, luxury rate, city improvements or entertainers, but STOP the stupid "global warming theory"!

Anyhow, good game, as addictive as the first yet still leaves me with HUGE blocks of time where I can build nothing and am simply waiting to ge the next tech advance. Hopefully when the editor comes out we can add more advances and/or more city improvements to spread units and city improvements out to balance things a little more. After all who wouldn't mind having more units of buildings to play with? Maybe not as many as the CtP series had but a few more than this at least.
Old November 12, 2001, 09:36   #57
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso

we will see about moo3. dont believe the hype
I am not believing the hype, simply following what the developers actually TELL us and following along with their design notes.

It's nice to see a company actually realizing that fans can have ideas to suggest that might make the game better and not acting as if they were working on the A-bomb during WWII.

Oh, and for the record, I hope Moo3 is as DIFFERENT from Moo2 as Civ2 was NOT different from Civ1.

Hopefully this will be a true lesson on how you can take the general game concepts and make them much more indepth and better instead of the same tired old formula.

If people don't like change, tough, the concept is called innovation and it's what has us using nifty things like PC's and the Internet as oposed to living in caves and fighting for simple survival.
Old November 12, 2001, 09:36   #58
Analyst Redux
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Yes, that's why I finally decided to call it: Yin's Civ3 Expectation Scale!.

I realized that so much of the arguments going on around here center on expectation levels. So it only makes sense to give advice to people thinking about buying the game by asking them what they expect.

My expectations weren't entirely met, but I'm still in the hopeful category. Fair enough, I say. Firaxis still has a lot of time to add in all the polish and balance here. I just hope that is their plan.
Hello, Yin. I wonder if you remember me from the SMAC boards? I recognize your name, and I recognize Imran still displaying his "love it or leave it" bumper-sticker WRT all Civ-related products, but I don't recognize many other names. Are any of my old buddies from the TICHQ around? Do you even remember what TICHQ stands for? LOL

I wanted to add my praise to others for your incisive expectation-based review and analysis of the latest product from this team. I think you've done an excellent job of focusing on some very salient points. One's reaction to an updated Civ game is, indeed, something driven powerfully by expectations.

Having been twice burned by rushing out to buy the initially released and, substantially unfinished, versions of Civ 2 and SMAC, I thought that I'd drop by the Apolyton forums *before* buying this time. I'm happy I did. Same bad habits, different release, it seems to me, based on what I'm reading from the more analytical sources on this board.

This time, I'm going to wait. Wait until it appears that the patches have run their course. Wait to see if, just as they did the last two times, they make substantial adjustment to game rules based on early-adopter/unwitting-beta-tester feedback. Wait to see if multiplayer is going to be free or a $20 add-on (those of you who are confident it will be a fully and properly implemented freebie are willfully ignoring the history of this franchise). Wait, IOW, until the game is actually a finished product.

Twice bitten, thrice shy here.

I will buy it eventually, and I'm sure I'll enjoy playing. It's worth some amount of money just to upgrade the game, experience a new look and feel, and explore some new game rules. It seems to me that the rules changes in this release might just finally drive a stake through the heart of over-simplistic rush conquest and ICS strategies, which is a good thing.

As you may remeber, though, my primary focus is on the challenge the AI brings to solitaire play. WRT my pet issue, I'm deeply skeptical about claims of big advancements in the AI. What I've read so far in player reactions that it's harder to do well is more explainable from the rules changes eliminating simplistic winning formulas than an advancement in AI.

Example: The programmers already managed to "teach" the AI to mass units for attack in SMAC. If, in SMAC, you chose to play passively and build (I say "chose" because one never really had to be passive in SMAC), the AI would, eventually, bring a big, mixed load of units to an attack point, though it really took a long time for the AI to manage it. I see two rules changes in Civ3 that make it more likely you'll see such massed attacks by the AI more frequently: (i) the difficulty in pacifying conquered cities that make sustained agressive campaigns an impossiblity, requiring human players to spend less game time in agressive military postures, conversely allowing the AI to build up its mass attacks; and (ii) the freeing of military units from sheild support, which was always something that got the AI into big trouble in terms of building an army of sufficient strength for one of its massed attacks. The same old AI will perform better absent these restrictions.

And on the flip side of this example are all the same complaints about AI behavior that I remember from before. Horrid city placement, insanely agressive behavior when cut off from further overland expansion opportunities, substandard city management and development. I strongly suspect that the new challenges of Civ3 have a lot more to do with rules changes than they do with a more competent AI.

So, I'll ovserve now, as I did on the release of SMAC (which I did run out and buy on Day 1), that if you aren't going to have multiplayer in the release, your claims of challenging AI to play solitaire against better be more than smoke. Until I'm convinced that it is, me and my $50 will stay on the sideline and waste time in the ways I've already become accustomed to, hehe.

Once again, Yin, nice job. You've said everything this old Civ vet needs to know to make his purchasing decision.
Old November 12, 2001, 09:41   #59
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

If you are indeed "the" Analyst from those days, I most certainly remember you! You were one of the poster who, as above, seemed to be able to cut through the garbage and get to the heart of things. If you are the same guy, I really hope you hang around.

Assuming I'm still around when you buy the game, perhaps MP will be functioning by then. I won't take much shame in being beaten by a guy with the name Analyst, after all.

Old November 12, 2001, 10:45   #60
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous
Resource "clumping". I thought resources (from what I heard) are supposed to be more random/scattered than this???
AFAIK, no. The whole concept of resources distribution has been added to force people to trade or conquer valuable resources.

Something as real life limits in large oil fields availablity (hence Middle East crises et all).

It has been debated if some quite common resources (as coal and maybe iron) should be more evenly distributed around.

Quote:
Pollution causing land degredation. Has anyone actually studied the "greenhouse" theories lately? Try this on for size...
Sorry, I must disagree. Greenhouse effects and the hole in ozone part of atmosphere are quite well studied in its general model.
The "pendolum" effect you mention seems definitely out of control when you add to the natural warming and freezing of the planet the large production of industrial and automotive gas, not to mention powerplants all around the industrialized area of the world.

Meantime we suffer lots of bad effects on weather, hence on natural disaster, food production, etc.

That's why so many countries try to share and sign the Kyoto agreement. Too bad industries are trying to milk their revenue as high as possible today, never mind of the future effects