Old November 12, 2001, 16:32   #61
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 17:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
my gf was away for 2 days. she came back and was shocked. i had a 3 day beard, thick smoke was hanging around our flat, beer cans everywhere and i had a lunatic's glow in my eyes (big black circles under them, of course). i just won

she said i looked like a wreck.
Yes, despite some shortcomings, itīs quite addictive.
Old November 12, 2001, 16:39   #62
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
we will see about moo3. dont believe the hype
Well, in this case I do.

1) First of all, their approach is not really what I consider 'hype'. Itīs the fairest way I can think of to treat their customers.

2) Second, their lead designer comes from board games, so my hope for a really complex hardcore strategy game is not entirely unfounded.
Old November 12, 2001, 17:55   #63
Analyst Redux
Settler

Local Time: 16:20
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
If you are indeed "the" Analyst from those days, I most certainly remember you! You were one of the poster who, as above, seemed to be able to cut through the garbage and get to the heart of things. If you are the same guy, I really hope you hang around.

Assuming I'm still around when you buy the game, perhaps MP will be functioning by then. I won't take much shame in being beaten by a guy with the name Analyst, after all.
"If"? Hmmm, well I have to admit: I don't have any way of conclusively proving my identity to you. I registered a new handle because I could no longer remember the password for the old one, and it was under a different email address, so it seemed too much bother to resurrect it. Ah well, guess I'm just the guy claiming to be Analyst now.

But it's a moot point, as I don't intend to hang around here much--certainly not to weigh down the board with comments when I don't even own the game. My life circumstances are substantially different from a few years ago when I was spending so much time online arguing about a game--got a wife and kid now, and I just can't devote the time and energy to wasting my time and energy that I used to.

I just felt compelled to drop in, say "hi", "thanks for the review" and *maybe* I'll see you on the multiplayer circuit, assuming that a workable playable multiplayer version ever presents itself. You never know when I'll be lurking though......

Later,

Analyst Redux
Old November 12, 2001, 19:12   #64
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 12:20
No, I wasn't asking for proof. And hey, I also have a wife and 3 year-old daughter. Never stopped me from wasting my time! (actually, I waste my employer's time, but that's just their bad management ... honestly, it is ... I'd rather be busy).

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 12, 2001, 20:01   #65
fanatic civver
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I cant believe how much yin has changed - from a whining firaxis hater to an intelligent poster, all because he bought civ 3!

Thanks for the review and comments. After reading these boards I think I'll wait a bit before buying civ 3.
Old November 12, 2001, 21:43   #66
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Hmmm, a back-handed compliment. Tricky ...

I'll just say that I never 'hated' Firaxis. I think they drop the ball a lot, and Civ3 still needs work. What is true, however, is now that the game is out, I've let go and put my hope in the patch process and the fans to fix things up.

Old November 13, 2001, 00:27   #67
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 18:20
Excellent scale and review...
(Yin: You were right, I don't need to add mine. You've said it mostly already.)

Ok, let's se my scale:
  1. -2 Yes I wanted a lollipop and much more
    (But how can just some new and old have +1??? Yin were you fixing your own score? )
  2. -1 After SMAC they should have had MP
  3. +1 Don't like them, but hey in Civ many "bugs" are on gamebalance.
  4. +1 Always leave something in the dark, but not all.
  5. ?(+1) Under all conditions a poor loser, so this is tricky one to me...
  6. +1 I can live with it. (But SMAC had a nice planet buster )
  7. +1 And on this topic I must say that FIRAXIS did a good job. FIRAXIS, I apologize for my earlier hash comments about the screenshots, the final product looks good. Also like the Modern times background music.
  8. -1 Have read the manual and it was a waste of my time mostly.
  9. -1 Well, just look at Firaxis askthecivteam lastest - they just answer things I would have liked to find easily myself.
  10. -1 I can wait some time. But on a huge world with 8 civs on my 1.1 GHz I could take coffebreaks between turns in lategame...
=> -1
Conclusion: Civ3 have hints of brilliance in it, that much is quite clear. But right now Civ3 is a beta and I have grerat expectations in future patches.
Old November 13, 2001, 05:50   #68
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Adm., I look forward to that time as well, and to your valued contributions.
Thanks for your kind words (but I'm still around, only less frequent poster and probably missing some good threads here and there).

Quote:
Originally posted by fanatic civver
I cant believe how much yin has changed - from a whining firaxis hater to an intelligent poster
Nah, you miss many previous Yin phases
A teacher in a team course at my job, once said to us that if you know better a person you can see many more positive traits that on first impression (I suppose banned some real vicius criminal ).

Friends and smart people can usually keep the best and discard (or live with) the rest
Just do it, and you can enjoy many people around here, Yin as one of them.

Disclaimer: suggestion above could not work with my bad personality

Jeje2, I noted your vote is really near mine and Yin: is it a prove for the quality of the test or against it? I mean, have Yin designed a test who describe the game or more a test who rank Apolytoner expectation?
Old November 13, 2001, 06:15   #69
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Jeje and Adm.: The test is actually just a Jedi mind trick! Actually, I think expectations *are* the game, so to speak. Ooooh, deep!

Old November 13, 2001, 07:16   #70
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
The test is actually just a Jedi mind trick!
A True Master you are. The Force, Dark and Right side, powerful in you is. Humble student I am.

May I have a LightSabre with the first Civ III patch, or is for LE only?
Old November 13, 2001, 07:17   #71
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:20
how come yoda is so smart and all but he cannot learn english grammar in 800 years? sorry, OT
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 13, 2001, 17:18   #72
JimMac
Prince

Good job on the review Yin, (or is that our review?-Good trick that: we compliment you on your review without realising that we are co-authors )

After reading so many whiney threads, I was surprised to find that I get +4 on your scale. This, (and the fact that I know I havent got the willpower to resist it) means that I know I will buy it this weekend when it arrives here.

I really know I should wait for the patch, but hey.. what can I do - I could never diet either.

JimMac
Old November 13, 2001, 17:33   #73
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 09:20
I got a zero on the ying scale so I think I will be safe buying Civ 3 after MP and a patch are released. BTW Ying I never thought I'd say it but your review has been the most thourogh, objective, and fair review I have seen. Great Job.
Old November 13, 2001, 17:35   #74
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Civ3 gets a +1 from me on the Yin scale.
Old November 13, 2001, 17:39   #75
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I am not believing the hype, simply following what the developers actually TELL us and following along with their design notes.
Gaming history is filled with developers biting off more than they can chew (Black and White comes to mind here). So, we'll see.

And Analyst: Love it or leave it!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 13, 2001, 22:12   #76
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Oerdin:
Quote:
BTW Ying I never thought I'd say it but your review has been the most thourogh, objective, and fair review I have seen. Great Job.
Why, thank you sir.

Old November 14, 2001, 19:51   #77
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
how come yoda is so smart and all but he cannot learn english grammar in 800 years? sorry, OT
A Jedi trick it is. Understanding Yoda not easy is. More attention people will pay.