Old November 9, 2001, 10:32   #1
SITS
King

Local Time: 16:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Gripes, grumbles, bugs and suggestions
Just a few things I've noticed while playing. Sorry if they have already been posted...

1) Once you send a worker to clear pollution manually (i.e. move him there and tell him to clear pollution) you can no longer tell another worker to clear pollution via SHIFT - P.

2) Not tried this one again and it was on Warlord level. I forgot to adjust my science/tax rate so I was going to go into the negative. When the computer finished moving it came up with that I didn't have enough funds and that it would disband an artillery unit. Since I was going to go about 200 in the red it seemed like a fair trade to me.

3) It would be great if the new tech came at the beginning of the turn so you could tell cities to make the new units that have become available instead of going back through all the cities.

4) After a square is polluted it should go back to the original cities control. The turn after I've clear pollution I look and see a city is starving and notice that a city next to it has pinched the now clean square.

5) One pop-up that annoys me is when your foreign advisor tells you that civ 'A' has signed a military alliance with civ 'B' against civ 'C'. The next pop-up is telling you that civ 'A' has declared war on civ 'C'. To reduce the number of pop-up's you could have one that says something like "Civ 'A' has joined Civ 'B' in a military alliance and has declared war on Civ 'C'." You would then get all the information in one pop-up.

6) Shakespeare's Theatre is useless. Since units are no longer supported by one city they don't cause unhappiness in the same way so having 8 happy citizens in a city doesn't really help anymore. An alternative use for it would be that it produces 20 culture points in that city. There isn't really a wonder that does that and the ST would then be really useful and desirable.

7) Resources running out is random. I discover refining and so was able to see oil. I couldn't build any units that used oil nor could the AI but the next turn one of the oil resources ran out.

It would be nice if some of these were fixed for the patch (except 7.) Overall I'm enjoying the game.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 9, 2001, 10:47   #2
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 10:23
Re: Gripes, grumbles, bugs and suggestions
Quote:
Originally posted by SITS
Just a few things I've noticed while playing. Sorry if they have already been posted...

1) Once you send a worker to clear pollution manually (i.e. move him there and tell him to clear pollution) you can no longer tell another worker to clear pollution via SHIFT - P.

3) It would be great if the new tech came at the beginning of the turn so you could tell cities to make the new units that have become available instead of going back through all the cities.

4) After a square is polluted it should go back to the original cities control. The turn after I've clear pollution I look and see a city is starving and notice that a city next to it has pinched the now clean square.

6) An alternative use for it would be that it produces 20 culture points in that city.
1)I didn't know Shift-P worked the first time. I use Shift-C. Trust me, I've done it way too many times. I really hope they patch it so you can move stacks and issue stack orders for workers.

3) -4) good suggestions.

5) Wow, that's really nitpicking. There a *lot* of other problems I'd rather see fixed first. It doesn't compare to the game delay the "go back and forth dance" enemy units do that delay the computer's turns.

6) Soren acknowledged that this was a good idea in the Apolyton chat. It doesn't guarantee it will be changed but there's a good chance.
Old November 9, 2001, 10:58   #3
bahoo
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:23
1) It would be nice to be able to wake all units of a certain type at once, much like the upgrade all, so when I want to mobilize my all my tanks to go to war I don't have to go to all my cities and click them.

2) There should be some sort of notification when things like the SAM battery and coastal fortress do something (maybe they just don't do anything, I'm not sure)

3) The city screen would be more useful if instead of showing heads it just gave a count of happy compared to unhappy citizens.
Old November 9, 2001, 11:04   #4
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by bahoo
1) It would be nice to be able to wake all units of a certain type at once, much like the upgrade all, so when I want to mobilize my all my tanks to go to war I don't have to go to all my cities and click them.

3) The city screen would be more useful if instead of showing heads it just gave a count of happy compared to unhappy citizens.
1) In the military advisor screen you can find all units of a particular type. It's much faster than going through *all* your cities.

In case you didn't know already, you can also wake all units in a stack by shift - right clicking the stack. You still have to click each one but it's definitely much faster than what you describe.

3) Well content citizens are important too. We Love the King Day is crucial to my strategy and drastically reduces corruption in the cities that are really far away that would otherwise only produce one shield.
Old November 9, 2001, 11:06   #5
SITS
King

Re: Re: Gripes, grumbles, bugs and suggestions
Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton

5) Wow, that's really nitpicking. There a *lot* of other problems I'd rather see fixed first. It doesn't compare to the game delay the "go back and forth dance" enemy units do that delay the computer's turns.

6) Soren acknowledged that this was a good idea in the Apolyton chat. It doesn't guarantee it will be changed but there's a good chance.
My points weren't meant to say these need to be fixed above all else and I tried to restrict myself to ones I hadn't seen mentioned before. I think sometimes the little problems get ignored to fix the big ones even though they too add to the overall playability of a game.

Soren said it was a good idea (which pleased me as I suggested it!) but I wanted to get it out into wider audience and hopefully others will post their agreement and that Soren won't foget! Cheers!
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 10, 2001, 00:17   #6
SITS
King

BUMP

Old November 10, 2001, 00:22   #7
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

SAM battery and coastal fortress are bugged for human players. They don't work, and neither to human air superiority missions.
Old November 10, 2001, 23:42   #8
SITS
King

Bump

Hopefully with Soren on now he might have a look!

Old November 11, 2001, 04:52   #9
Yoleus
Warlord

I am not so confident in a reply, but to hope is free
BUMP
Old November 11, 2001, 05:55   #10
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 08:23
Oil
Quote:
7) Resources running out is random. I discover refining and so was able to see oil. I couldn't build any units that used oil nor could the AI but the next turn one of the oil resources ran out.
If a strategic resource has a road on it that is connected to a city it can randomly disappear (resource depletion). If you discover oil, but are not building any strategic units with it delete the road that is on the oil resource. Now you won't randomly lose it, otherwise your citizens have access to it & will buy their big SUVs to dry up your oil. In my opinion, oil could easily be considered a luxury item too. If you have 4 oils, using 1 & trading 1 other then remove the road over 2 of the oils... thus giving you 2 "oil reserves".

Good ideas for #3 & #6 (especially #6). I agree #2 should be fixed. I'm indifferent to the others.