Old November 9, 2001, 17:56   #1
Daetrin
Settler

Local Time: 16:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help with REX
I kicked ass at a Chieftan level game (Built the UN in 1942 and gave the other civs Steam Power, Electricity, and Medicine to bribe them into voting for me) so I decided to make things a bit more difficult the second time around.

I decided to play as the Babylonians, figuring that I would try for a Cultural victory this time.

I started out with the Warrior - Warrior - Settler plan. I started on the east coast, and my first warrior found desert to the south west and extensive hills and jungle to the north. Past the desert i found that i was on a narrow peninsula, and but there were some grasslands along the coase with a cow resource, about 15 tiles away from my first city. I figured this was a great place to build me second city. Unfortunatly I also found the Zulus there tp the northwest, and shortly thereafter found the Germans to my north.

I traded all the tech with both the Zulus and the Germans I could, and as soon as the settler finished building I sent him over to the spot i'd picked out. A few turns before he got there, the zulus put a city down nearby, but I figured there was still more than enough room for me.

A few turns after i found the second city, before it finishes it's first warrior, the Zulus attack. My scouting warrior had gone on to explore the peninsula to the south, so the Zulus just walked right in.

After doing a lot of cheesey reloading, I managed to keep myself in the fight, however after the second settler poped out of my first city, I had to devote production to producing bowman to keep myself alive. I'm doing okay techwise do to the trades (and thats the only reason why =) and the Zulus can't walk all over me anymore, but I only have three cities, and it's 900 BC!

Anyone have some suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Clearly I should be doing something to either not get in the war in the first place, or not have it drag on so long, but I'm not sure how to do that while sticking to the warrior - settler - warrior - setteler REX strategy.

Thanks
Old November 9, 2001, 18:09   #2
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Hey guy@! I just posted some game notes on the Babylonians over in my strat. thread that might help you out!

My guess is that the Zulu's started really close to you and hemmed YOU in....if so, that really reeks, but there's not much you can do about it in the short run....

If it was me, I'd sue for peace at whatever price ('cept for one of your three cities), and then get back to the business of expansion. Get 8 cities up and running asap, then switch to bowman production, burning pop points to speed build them.

Mass 12-15 of them, and charge!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old November 9, 2001, 18:29   #3
Daetrin
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx

If it was me, I'd sue for peace at whatever price ('cept for one of your three cities), and then get back to the business of expansion. Get 8 cities up and running asap, then switch to bowman production, burning pop points to speed build them.

Mass 12-15 of them, and charge!

-=Vel=-
Well in the area of the peninsula left to me, there's room for about four non-overlapping cities, five if I sneak one around the edge of the Germans territory. Well, technically there's room for more, but two or three would be in the middle of the desert that I started next to.

I'll try doing the bowman rush with just the cities i can create though.