Old December 3, 2000, 19:45   #1
ruebarb
Settler

Local Time: 00:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
can I create impassable terrain?
Hey guys - first time post - I've been playing Civ II again (gold edition) and I want to design a scenario that uses a map of Philip Jose Farmer's "Riverworld"- Think a canyon a mile or two wide, with sheer cliffs impassable to foot travel, and a river running down it. Now picture this canyon and river running around the world from pole to pole. Get the idea? I need impassable terrain - and I've tried editing the rules.txt, but it seems like the AI can still traverse it.

I'll use ocean for the river, so I can build boats, but I'm at a bit of a loss for info on keeping all ground troops in the canyon. (air will be allowed - they can build blimps) -

Any suggestions?

RB
Old December 4, 2000, 01:46   #2
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 18:11
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Get Test of Time.
Old December 4, 2000, 02:00   #3
zyxpsilon
Warlord

Not without using available "terrain" slots.
Now... Trees, mountains, hills AND >coastal squares< onto which no ground and sea units can cross.
Another "tricky" way could be the making of an extra unit -invisible-, not allowed to move, with defensive factor high enough to sustain any attack (BUT, that's theory, only!)
Heard, also, that such an impassable terrain has been designed into TOT. Since i don't own that version, i wouldn't be able to indicate how it was done.
Anyone?
Old December 4, 2000, 10:33   #4
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 20:41
You could use TOT but to could also take a regular terrain like "Tundra" and draw it to what ever you want it to look like. The put it's required movement to like 99 and then very few units will be able to go over it. Just place the new turdra tile where you want the no movement to be. The only downside is that you loose the regular tundra as a terrain type. That's why I always use Tundra.

If you need any help just ICQ or e-mail me.

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"If LESS is MORE, just think of how much MORE, MORE would be!"
I AM CANADIAN!
Civfanatics.com Civ 2 Multiplayer Ladder!
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old December 4, 2000, 16:35   #5
Waku
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 01:11
Have a look to the scn "Athel Loren":
http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/civ2/db/review.cgi?ID=487

It has an impassable terrain i think you can find interesting

c u
Old December 4, 2000, 21:04   #6
ruebarb
Settler

ok - really stupid followup - I have ToT, but couldn't find a map/scenario editor with that one. I understand it has impassable terrain, but I'm not sure how to implement it.

I also tried making a type impassable (my mountains) by increasing their movement to 99 in the rules.txt file, but every unit gets at least one square, no matter the cost, so it doesn't help.

Anywhere I can go for Test of Time editors/map editors that let me use the impassable terrain?

One other interesting point - I'm not sure if I'm leaving the research paths the same or not. The premise of Riverworld is that everyone ever born gets reborn/created on this experimental world. You wonder how you would do research when the knowledge is already there. (Just not the materials) - Should be fun if I can do it.

RB
Old December 5, 2000, 00:33   #7
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 18:11
ruebarb, there is no built in editor. Use your Windows Explorer and find the Rules text file in your scenario folder. If there isn't one, then copy one from the ToT 'original' folder. Open it and find the terrain fields (after the units field). The last variable for each type of terrain is a yes for impasssible terrain or no if not.

Then go to the units advanced field farther down. Look for the G column. You can override the impassible flag for each type of unit. It's the 5th flag from the RIGHT. A 1 allows that unit to traverse impassible terrain, a 0 does not. Air units can pass freely over impassible terrain.

It's really not too difficult. You can check out the design tips available on the Scenario League site. William Keenan and Cam have done some excellent work on ToT tips. (link at the bottom of this page) Hope this helps.
Old December 7, 2000, 02:41   #8
Kestrel
Warlord

Here is an example of using impassable terrain from one of my Secanrios :

From the 3-D Scenario rules.txt

I don't want any units to be able to "travel" underground unless there are tunnels

so :

@TERRAIN1
Cont. Shelf,8,2, 0,0,0, no, 0, 0, 5, For, 0, 4, 1, no, yes, ; Drt
Mudstone, 8,2, 0,0,0, no, 0, 0, 1, For, 0, 4, 1, no, yes, ; Pln
Clay, 8,2, 0,0,0, no, 0, 0, 2, For, 0, 3, 1, no, yes, ; Grs
Tunnel, 1,2, 0,0,0, yes, 1, 8, 2, Hil, 0, 2, 2, no, no, ; For

But the "Tunneling Unit must be able to build the tunnels in the first place (by mining the relevant impassable tile) so in the @UNITS_ADVANCED section it has :

11111111, 00001100, 0, 0000000100000000,0000000100000000,0000000000000000 , 00110000 ;Tunneling Unit

It is the fifth byte from the right that sets the impassable terrain override.

Hope that helps.