Old December 5, 2000, 23:36   #1
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 20:11
Local Date: October 30, 2010
New World Map

Howdy all, i'm a bit new to the creation forum, but in light of a new ultimate diplomatic game that Capo and i are starting in January i started looking around for a good world map to use. Unfortunatly i didn't find anything, the apolyton maps section was pretty dry on world maps, so i set out to make one myself, and now it has become my project of the moment. I think it is pretty damn good. Sitting down with a bunch of maps and really going for realism.

I used the map edit program on apolyton to give a bit more room to the map, but not as much as i wanted. Could someone tell me where to find the program that lets you expand the map to 32,768.

Right now i'm pretty much done with shaping and sizing everything, i just have to fill in all the continents now.

------------------
Ozzy - King of Metal
Ozzy - Hungarians in Eurodip I
Ozzy - Proud Sayen member
Ozzy - Prez of NYRA, http://nyra.ecg.net
Old December 5, 2000, 23:42   #2
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

working on getting maps to work

[This message has been edited by OzzyKP (edited December 05, 2000).]
Old December 6, 2000, 00:02   #3
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

oops, working out pic bugs
[This message has been edited by OzzyKP (edited December 05, 2000).]
Old December 6, 2000, 00:05   #4
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Trust me its a great map, just give me a sec, i'll figure it out.
Old December 6, 2000, 00:09   #5
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Ok, i got help this time, crossing my fingers.
Old December 6, 2000, 01:32   #6
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Few more changes since last post. I shrunk Mexico down a smidge. I extended Siberia so it'd meet Alaska. I expanded scandinavia and reshaped Britian.

Still working, ask for the file and gimmie tips.

Old December 6, 2000, 08:13   #7
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 00:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
What size is it ?

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old December 6, 2000, 14:19   #8
Panda
Prince

JB sparked a craze for larger maps. In my years I've gone from an improved 75x120 world map, to a rationalised 87x116 map, and now an oversized 90x120 map (nice round number for ToT linking) for my scenarios. This current one is on my home site @ http://www.btinternet.com/~aplivings...rio/90x120.zip

Here's a preview:

------------------
"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on" - anon

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower

"Treaties are like roses and pretty girls: they last while they last." - Charles de Gaulle
Old December 6, 2000, 15:12   #9
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

My map is 91 X 120, so basically the same size as the previous guys, but i downloaded his and he still has the obscenly inflated europe and other problems. It looks like all he did is add alot of rivers and islands to the standard map and expand the pacific.

Mine is totally reshaped to represent the real earth map much more accuratly. Those who have seen it say it is the most realistic world map they've seen.

------------------
Ozzy - King of Metal
Old December 6, 2000, 15:28   #10
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:11
Man, that is a terrific map.
Just a couple of suggestions (I don't want to be picky):

The Caspian Sea is a bit too thin to the southeast, while Lake Suprerior goes too much into triangular in the north (try pushing in a land square in the south) and lacks connection with the other Great Lakes. Lake Victoria is missing as well as Lake Malawi and Tanganyika. The Aral Sea should be bit more "round" to the south.
You should also include either Lake Titicaca or Lake Popó in Peru or Bolivia.
Greenland should be expanded a bit more eastwards.
Alaska is a bit too flat to the north.
I'd also recommend to include Hawaii, Fidji and a couple of islands in the Pacific (like Micronesia) and the Indian Ocean (like Seychelles, Maledives, Cergueles etc.)
In the Atlantic I suggest to include the Azores and the Falkland Isles.

I hope I did not offend you in any way. It really is a wonderful map. It is very hard to get Europe, Turkey and Asia look right in such a map. You made it.

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country.
-George W. Bush

Shahan Shah Eran ud Aneran

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
Old December 6, 2000, 15:39   #11
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Any attempt to portray the Earth's surface as a cylinder (the civ "round" world shape) will necessarily involve some compromises. One man's "most accurate" map is another man's abomination. I prefer a map that emphasizes accurate landmass areas (so Australia is larger than Greenland), but an equal-area cylindrical projection results in insane exaggeration of east-west distances near the poles, and also distorts land shapes considerably. To each his own...

Old December 7, 2000, 01:06   #12
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel on 12-06-2000 02:28 PM
The Caspian Sea is a bit too thin to the southeast, while Lake Suprerior goes too much into triangular in the north (try pushing in a land square in the south) and lacks connection with the other Great Lakes. Lake Victoria is missing as well as Lake Malawi and Tanganyika. The Aral Sea should be bit more "round" to the south.
You should also include either Lake Titicaca or Lake Popó in Peru or Bolivia.
Greenland should be expanded a bit more eastwards.
Alaska is a bit too flat to the north.
I'd also recommend to include Hawaii, Fidji and a couple of islands in the Pacific (like Micronesia) and the Indian Ocean (like Seychelles, Maledives, Cergueles etc.)
In the Atlantic I suggest to include the Azores and the Falkland Isles.

Please don't be afraid to give advice, i need all i can get i want this to be perfect. Right now the map is nearly finished. I filled in everything and picked the best resource seed and whatnot, it should be ready to go now. I just want to have a few of the most nitpicky people i know look over it to iron out some problems.

Alot of the problems you saw in the representation i posted we due to limitations of the map. Yes Lake SUperior does connect to the other great lakes, it just doesn't show that on the map. I had forgot about islands, so i went and added hawaii, and alot of other small islands to make it interesting.
Aral sea is tough, because of the grid pattern of the map board i can't make something that small accurately shaped. So it'll have to stay as is. I did add lake tittikaka, but as an isolated river square rather than an ocean swuare. I ddi this for a few other small lakes that weren't big enough to warrant a full tile of ocean.

I'll see what i can do with the shape of the caspian sea and lake superior, it might just be the map, or it might be probelms i'll look.

Some one else told me about greeland, i'll work on it, but i want to take care that the reason everyone says it is wrong is not because of their familiarity with falty maps, alot of people tell me that africa is too big, but i measured it out exactly and it is truly to scale.

Please give me lots of suggestions, and be sure to contact me via email if you want a copy sent to you. "OzzyKP@aol.com"

------------------
Ozzy - King of Metal
Old December 7, 2000, 14:35   #13
Panda
Prince

Well here's a suggestion: DaveV was perfectly correct to point out that different people like different kinds of maps. If you downloaded my map you should have read the documentation that came with it. It was not supposed to be an ultra-realistic world map (the Mercator map already holds that spot), and as such you have no right to judge it by that standard or express your opinions in such a disparaging and disrespectful manner.
Old December 7, 2000, 16:02   #14
drake
King

I think all the maps presented so far show a lot of great work and have potential for some great games. Keep up the good work. Ozzy could you forward me the revised version some time? You should have my address still

------------------
I am the one you warned me of