Old November 10, 2001, 06:28   #1
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 18:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is it AI selling techs cheaply?
Is it AI selling techs cheaply?
I mean, if I put science rate to 10-20% and go for Monarchy, when I get monarchy, I already bought allmost all of ancient techs with then extra gold (80-90% tax).

Ai shouldn't sell tach. so cheaplt.
This could be fixed in patch (maybe value of techs multiplied by 3?)
Old November 10, 2001, 09:13   #2
Venger
King

Local Time: 10:26
Sounds cheap
Sounds cheap, but you've obviously got a system that works!

I think technology is the most important item in the game, and you are correct, I think it is taken far too cheaply, not only in selling it to you, but in just giving it willy nilly to other civilizations.

Countries jealously guard secrets. A civ should be closely tied to your before they even THINK about trading or selling technology...

Venger
Old November 10, 2001, 09:23   #3
Zyzzarzaz
Settler

Local Time: 11:26
The AI seems to value "old"-techs light.

In my current game I can sell my new high end techs for 30 gold per turn to several civs, even thought I only have a marginally tech lead. But I barely get anything (20 gold lump sum or something) for older techs, if they happen not to own them for some reason.

I have 0% gold rate and still goes 150 gold surplus per turn cause of tech sells. I'm in mid-medieval age now.
Old November 10, 2001, 09:48   #4
Plutarck
Warlord

Local Time: 10:26
What mainly should be done is fix the 32 turn thing, or at least make it an option to change.

It really allows you to just go the pure cash-cow route, and the AI seems to understand the shelf-life of techs and just flat-out conspires against you.

They know if anyone else has a tech they'll try and sell it around, so they try and get to it first.

But it has the somewhat annoying effect of pumping everything you can spare into Science when the relaxed AI catches up with you so quickly.

Has it's upsides and downsides, but the simple and prefered fix is just giving techs more weight so you'd prefer to trade tech for tech and not accept just plain cash, which isn't really that useful anyhow.

Creator of the LWC Mod for Civ3.
Old November 10, 2001, 13:40   #5
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 18:26
I think that optimal value of techs, should be their value in science pionts.

If techs value is 300 science points, its basic value in gold should be 300.

Than, it should be modifed with availability (how many player alredy have it), diplomatic relations, etc...
Old November 10, 2001, 20:18   #6
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 08:26
Too Cheap
I agree. Early Techs are FAR too cheap right now. I bought my way into the lead for pennies! Ok gold pennies, but the point still holds. Older techs should be FAR more valuable than they are now in the earlier stages of the game, because these early techs help a civilization advance quicker, which decides which civilizations will be the dominant ones later. The AI shouldn't value techs so cheaply (with gold) in the beginning.

And late in the game, getting 30 gold/turn for a tech the AI is currently researching & will soon learn seems FAR too high. Some game balance needs to be made here.