Old November 10, 2001, 17:57   #1
Venger
King

Local Time: 10:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Earth first wackos
From the people who brought you SMAC, home of the talking planet, you are suprised you get global warming and politically tinged economic systems? When the planet started talking to me in SMAC, I started looking for the Death Star wonder...

The depletion of oil, if 1 in 200, and let's say you have 4 supplies, SHOULD happen once every 50 turns. But it sounds like you got screwed. Assuming new supplies are occasionally found, you are likely to get 200+ years out of such a supply, IF that holds true as far as the resource supply goes.

And if indeed it does check every one attached by road, and if deleting the road to all but one fixes the problem, then that means the game mechanics are BROKEN. It should only check depletion for used supplies...either your Civ or the one you are trading...you shouldn't have to do stuff like that to make the system work.

Bug/gameplay problem #419...

Venger
Old November 10, 2001, 17:59   #2
Venger
King

Local Time: 10:29
Wierd!
This was supposed to be a reply to a thread, SOMEHOW it go posted as a new thread. Can the moderator remove this thread and move the first post to the thread called who hired greenpeace?

Thanks...

Venger
Old November 10, 2001, 18:28   #3
Setsuna
Warlord

Local Time: 11:29
Honestly, pollution bothered me even more than corruption did. At least corruption didn't stop my cities from growing (As much.)

And global warming. Bah!
Old November 10, 2001, 19:07   #4
Spagina
Settler

Local Time: 16:29
The pollution is driving me insane. It's mainly the reason why I quit my games towards the end. Every turn 6 new pollution piles pop and I feel like punching my monitor. In fact, I'd say it's probably one of the reasons I stopped playing CivIII for the past week, the pollution in the later stages turns my games into a hectic nightmare when I try to contain all those clouds only to have 6 or 7 more pop next turn.
Old November 10, 2001, 21:46   #5
karlmarx9001
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:29
Statistics fun
Actually, if you run the numbers:

The individual chance of 1 oil supply not disappearing on one turn is 99.5%, or 199 in 200.

The chance of 4 of them not disappearing on one turn is (199/200) ^ 4, or 98%.

The chance of 4 of them not disappearing over 34 turns is (49/50) ^ 34, or 50%.

Oil and uranium have high disappearance rates to balance out their incredibly high value; if they were treated like iron then whoever got them first in the late game would have a ludicrously enormous advantage.