Old November 10, 2001, 23:57   #1
Omega607
Settler

Local Time: 09:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Would You Say This is Improved or Terrible AI?
I decided to play on a random world map seeing as how I'm very pissed that Sid, in all his genius, decided to get rid of historical starting positions. If you can't tell, that was supposed to be a bad remark towards him...

Anyhow, I had a tiny island all to myslef with probably 6 cities on it. I felt lucky non the less as I usually have to deal with at least 2 civilizations on the same continent when I play on random maps. I built up my cities, cultivated the land, and was feeling pretty good.

I came upon the Romans after I had built the Great Light House and sent a trireme to investigate all that black. Within the end of the century, I knew just about everybody and their territory. It was good, though, because I was able to maintain a nice age of peace.

That is until the Japanese decided to try to take a technology from me. I rejected their proposal and they formed an alliance with the Greeks and delcared war on me. Supriised, seeing as how two AI players have never attacked me before, I decided that I'd pay a few other civilizations to fight for me. I didn't have the navy to support a land invasion. So, I payed off the Egyptians, neighbors of the north of Japan, to delcare war and aid me against them. Then, I payed off the Germans, neighbors of the west of the Greeks, to go after Alexander and his lackies.

Within 20 years, Japan allied with Germany and got them to delcare war on me!

Is this just dumb AI or real cunning, devious AI?
Old November 11, 2001, 00:15   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:30
I've seen the AI do some smart things and some dumb things. When I sent my forces which were mostly along my southern border to attack the Aztecs in the north, Germany took notice and decided to launch a sneak attack, taking most of my southern cities. Because I used a Right of Passage to position my troops in the aztec territory for the attack, the rest of the civs were very reluctant to sign rights of passage. On the other hand, I've seen the AI build a whole navy to sail around in circles in a small inland lake.
Old November 11, 2001, 07:15   #3
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:30
Agreed.

Overall, the AI is a lot better. It is actually challenging to conquer the world now. Although, I haven't had any problems doing it on deity. The AI at least fights strategically now. But I still see weird things. Along the front lines of a huge continental war I was fighting, I see a few lone spearmen with settlers heading in my direction. They walked directly into a mass of knights I had. They were probably trying to build cities on the sites where I just razed existing cities, but they didn't wait until my units left. That is pretty dumb. They just gave me more workers to IFE with. http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=33292 will explain IFE.