Old November 11, 2001, 21:26   #31
Argonaut
Prince

Local Time: 16:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I might be interested in picking up my usual, the Angels. Basic idea for a history: (Which hopefully would make more sense for them as a faction)

In the war with the Progenitors, Data Angel holdings were wiped out, with rag tag groups of survivors finding sanctuary in the bases of others. Datajack Roze herself is killed in the final attack on Data DeCentral.

After the humans sucessfully eradicate the Progenitor threat on Chiron, no efforts are made to reinstitue the Data Angels. Enemies made with some powerful factions (Morgan, perhaps Hive) refuse to consider the proposal and no strong leader comes forward to fight for the Data Angel cause. Data Angel refugees are treated as second-class citizens across Chiron and frequently resort to crime as a means of getting by. Sort of creating an Organized Crime ring across Chiron, with an emphasis on computer hacking.

When the FTL is developed they steal the plans, and start spreading the information around a little. The plan is to have as many factions as possible creating FTL ships so that they can steal some for themselves, seeing as they have no production facilities.

Eventually they get their hands on ships and make their way out into space. They manage to infiltrate most of the newly colonized planets, but have no world of their own. They have small squadrons of ships, with no permanent base and have now revealed their existance fully to the other factions. They seek to have a homeworld of their own and be given freedom to live in peace.

Just random thoughts spewing out of my head. It all makes sense in there somewhere. I can explain better if anyone cares.

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2001, 21:28   #32
[LordLMP]

Mr. President...i suggest you tone down as to how much of the galaxy is being influenced and travelled by humans from chiron and so on.... I rather keep the human space in the area of space where we have decent names for stars :P the stars with our eyes on earth....... like Vega, Alpha Centauri, Proxima Centauri, Tau Ceti, etc...... actually, suggest we use the names of real stars :P

-LMP
Old November 11, 2001, 22:18   #33
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 11:31
Argo: I already had this in my unofficial timeline. What do you think.

2575-Spartans encouter Gorn. Again limited contact is made. Spartans learn of Gorn hatred for Bree and the Morganite encounter.
2580-The body of Colonel Santiago dies. Mind is transferred to a cloned replica thanks to University technology that was stolen from their labs on the University homeworld. Spartan Federation comes out in support of a Datatech homeworld.
2582-Spartan scout ships encouter and battle Progenator scout ships. Boths sides withdraw.

Looks kind of like to that the Datatech supporters did the Spartans a favor and the Spartans are going to do them a favor. this can be moved up to where it occurs earlier if it suits you better that way. We need all the good people we can get.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2001, 22:19   #34
[LordLMP]

I guess i will take the Pirates...... any thought about my ideas of the Terran alliance and the Fraal? what about the manifold worlds?

Okay, after the Proginator Wars on Chiron the factions acquiring FTL technology aswell as some ships.... the Pirates lose more and more influence on Chiron, mainly because they lag behind in the "instellar race to colonize whatever planets" Also, they have trouble building their own ships as their Space Contruction Complexs is limited as their barely control any land on chiron and their Seabases not capable to launch heavy loads into space.

relations with the Free Drones sours...especially when their society is changing more and more. The Nautilus Pirates becomes the only factions to support the Data Angels, creating a long lasting relationship. Pirates alow Data Angels refugees into pirate bases... but due to crampness in the bases, good portion of the Data Angels still spread across chiron and beyond...but uses Pirate bases as headquarters for their covert operations.

Along with the Data Angels, they succeed in capturing some FTL ships and go off into space.... Of course, they fell to find any worlds to colonize, since other factions get them first and also eventually bump into Terran Alliance...technicly being the first faction to encounter them. eventually, the Pirates, being their pirate selfs pirate other faction ships in Space, establish outposts/bases on various moons, asteroid fields and etc... they still maintain on anf off relationship with the Data Angels. Captain Svensgaard eventually passed away of old age...since his body started to get immune to the Longivity treatments.

After the death of their leader, the Pirates pretty much splintered into various gangs. Occasionally fighting among themselves, but will group together against other factions and aliens. but the main Pirate Gang is the one still in control of the seabases back on chiron and representing the Pirates in the Council. rest of the gangs eventually get adept in space like they were adept among the sea. they contruct moveable starbases, establish outposts/bases all the place, mine some moons and asteroid fields and Pirating other factions. Only way other factions can seriously fight the pirates is self defence when they attack...and when they do try to exterminate the pirate holdings at various places, they still show elsewhere. Pirates hae mix up fleet....each gang operating their own fleet of ships. The gang on Chiron is the one not really pirating...else the other factions will gang up on them on Chiron

So Argonaut, maybe have the Data Angels partly merge with the Pirates? but both factions still do their own thing, and a lot of times working together?

-----------------------------------

the Fraal: The Factions will contact them after they contact the Terran Alliance....which is small in comprison to the Factions holdings and forces combined. But the terran alliance more adept at interstellar combat as they been fighting themselves in the Sol system for several hundred years.

Anyway, the Fraal is nomadic, have big motherships moving about and have bunch of smaller ships mainly scouting, observing, and the occassional trading with others. No Race attack the Fraal, as their is pretty advance... motherships have powerful weapons (Phasers? Ion Beams? etc)... and will equip their smaller ships with similar weaponry when threating by anyone. So the Fraal is just the wise folks that been around in the galaxy for quite awhile Fraal mainly trade information/technology they have for resources or whatever they want. fraal is the aliens with big black eyes...most common in real life for kidnapping humans and etc... Oh, and they are telepathic, and the Fraal like talking with the Gaians

Terran Alliance: Alliance is comprised of various factions/nations/corperations/groups/etc....

here is some:

the Scions: they are the only alien like humans in the sol system and only control the Dark Planet... Scions are a fuse of Human and biometal.... Their origins go far back to the 1990s...where it seems Humanity as been fighting over biometal (which is use up throughout sol at the time, and only the Scions is capable of producing it) in the Sol system unknown to the rest of the world...Scions were created on earth and they broke off... the two big nations fighting over the biometal join forces against them... Scions (at the time, known as Furies and the Black Dogs before that) retreated and discovered the Dark Planet, practicly covered with infrastructure and artificial atmosphere....abandoned by some past unknown race. Later, the Scions are discovered and the joint secret earth forces fight them again....wearing out the earth forces and causing scions a lot of damage. They form a treaty where the Scions do not expand into the rest of the sol system and earth forces leave them alone. Scions kept that promise...so they stay quiet and properly grow on the Dark Planet..... while the earth force is disbanded, shuting down various outposts and etc...mainly due to lack of Biometal. The Biometal Wars, Scion War and the Scions are forgotten and Earth eventually ge stuck with its own problems...like the coming to WW3, United Nation building UNS Unity.... all this happening unknown to the Scions as the Scions didn't bother contacting Earth or check them out or expanding.......... the Scions were discovered again few hundred years later during the Sol system...partly dragging the Scions into the Sol wide warfare.....and eventually became part of the Terran Alliance after the contact of the Fraal. (Yes, i am mixing another game with SMAX :P why not? I love the Scions )

The Belters: They mainly control the Asteroid Belt in the Sol system, which they succeed in completly controlling it during the Sol wide wars.....the belters started out when they rebelled at various Asteroid mining operations against the nations of earth... (after the Starlancer type days ). Belters is the first group to declare (more like fighting for) their independence...the first offworld "nation"/"faction". They are superior at mining and quite use to live in harsh cramp conditions among the asteroid belt.... they were technicly the pirates during the Sol wars. So they are a group which the Nautilus Pirates and Data Angels can get along with

any other ideas for Terran Alliance factions? of course, if you people even agree with my Terran Alliance idea... and they can stay quiet while we play the Chiron factions

-LMP
Old November 12, 2001, 03:49   #35
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 02:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The star names are a concern, but it really doesn't matter where space exploration goes, as long as someone keeps track of which stars are which.

Terran Alliance sounds cool. We might try some Ben Bova-style schisms between Earth and Mars, or between Earth and the Moon, or something like that.

I think someone was talking about religion before. It seems likely to me that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam will still be around in some form. There could be other religions that appeared more recently; I was thinking about one (inspired by Isaac Asimov's robot novels) that worships Earth, the birthplace of mankind. That one would probably exist off Earth, on Chiron or elsewhere. They (some of them at least) may want to claim it politically as well as religiously.

Anyway, more Free Drone ideas: I was going to keep Domai for the early parts of the story, but have him resign or be compelled to resign as Drone society continues to metamorphosize. They want to shed the rogue image they gained in past years and enter the community of respected nations. The government is wary of the remnants of the Data Angels, but is willing to lend qualified support for a Datatech homeworld, hoping it would cut down on the crime and the spying. As for the Pirates: they don't exactly hate them, but they don't trust them and would be happier if there was less actual piracy going on. They sometimes, however, use some of their splinter groups as mercenaries, particularly to keep the Bree in line without taking direct action, and to keep tabs on the movements of Gorn, Progenitors, and the Terran Alliance. Relations with the Peacekeepers have soured (perhaps influenced during the alliance with the Spartans? ), and they see the Cyborgs as a strategic competitor.

I'm not sure yet what I want to happen on Vega. Once idea: the creators of the Vegan technology are extinct, but some of the machines themselves are sentient, and are beginning to awaken. Something along the lines of mechanical intelligence meets biological intelligence.

The other Manifolds are, I think, supposed to be very far away in a different part of the galaxy. However, it would be fun to have someone find them and tangle with the Progenitors who occupy them. I designed a custom faction just recently, a Progenitor faction that was neither the Caretakers nor the Usurpers: Manifold Chaos, +1 Industry, -1 Research, whose goal is to dissolve civilizations and return the galaxy to primordial anarchy.

OK, enough out of me for now.
Old November 12, 2001, 05:42   #36
Sprayber
Emperor

It might be better to keep some things a little vague. If we get bogged down on Terran relations with lunar colonists this will never get off the ground.

There will still need to be some interaction between the different factions. So say that Mr. Pres can make up drone relations with the Cult of Planet as long as no one is playing the Cult. There is so much that can be done, but we need to be able to get started first.

This is who I see as the major players

Spartans(They think it's their mission to bring order to the Human systems. That and they still have a score to settle with a few factions and the bugs)

Peacekeepers(they have control of chiron, since everyone seemed to take off)

Hive(If you thought they turned weird on Chiron, think about them being isolated in Space for decades)

Pirates(splintered and disorganized, they are looking for some loot. The spartans just hope they don't stumble across a planet that happens to be 85% shallow seas that lies on the border between them and the Drones.)

Believers(should enjoy converting the masses that are without factions guidence.)

Data Angel insurgents(soon to have a homeworld and back in the spy business)

Drones(posses great industrial potential, But can they survive the machines and the Bree)

Cyborgs(Since they built the first FTL comm devices, they seem to be always on the leg up on comm abilities. And why are they listening to everyone elses comm traffic.)

University(Still has the greatest tech and the greatest mindes)

Morganites(Very large Interstellar presence. They are trading with everyone it seems like)

Gaians(still meddeling in other factions enviromental policies but not even the Spartans relish the thought of invading the Gaian homeworld full of sentient native creatures.

Cult of Planet.(giving the Pks a hard time and anyone else that they happen to come across)

Unless someone wants to take care of the aliens they are just for backdrop. With incursions every so often.

Earth. This should be a flashpoint in the future. As each Chiron factions fight for influence of Earth and the Terrans think that the large human empires rightfully belong to Earth.

A note about Earth. I don't think that the Terrans should be too powerful. The should have colonized the Sol system thouroghly but really haven't gone much further except to fight the Frall. I do like the idea of the Chiron factions playing different groups on earth against each other. Might even lead to a wider war between the factions.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old November 12, 2001, 07:43   #37
[LordLMP]

No wars with the Fraal please :P they just wander, explore, observe, trade information, have great conversations with factions like the Gaians (Telepathy), aliens no one seem interesting to fight and who would want to? Fraal is so friendly Fraal will only be in the background have motherships and scout ships all over th eplace. :P Like I said, the Terran Alliance is quite loose and comprise of its own factions..... The nations pretty much dissolve into various groups throughout the the sol system. And since the Terran Alliance gain FTL bit late in comparison to Chiron, they don't seem to have much room to expand....and don't have to many FTL ships, but they do have a lot of STL ships combined in the Sol system And should have in bonus in ship to ship combat

Terran Alliance factions/groups:

Earth/Terra: home of humanity and homeworld of the Terran Alliance...

Mars: Ben Bova style...declared independence from the various nations who controlled Mars and started a Earth vs Mars schism...but eventually join the Terran Alliance, but still don't trust Earth and worried that Earth will gain to much power in the loose alliance. Mars is quite terraformed and now have a barely breathable atmosphere.

Venus: population small, and colonies few on Venus... the people who originally colonized Venus were considered quite crazy by rest of humanity in the sol system quite a dangerous world to live on... yet they succeeded and slowly started to tame their environtment.... Usually keep to themselves, but have gone into a few spacial wars...as no one else is interested in landing troops on venus.

The Belters: talked about them already.... merge the pirates and free drones in space, voila....before their metamorphasis.

the Scions: talked about them and will post the proper description of them from battlezone2.... but i like them and like the Dark Planet idea

and few other factions in the Sol system...........

-LMP
Old November 12, 2001, 09:37   #38
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:31
Holy cow! I turn my back for a moment and the thread increases in size a twenty-fold Perfect ideas, Terran Alliance, the Aliens, the factions, the time.

I have no own ideas as of yet, but I think that the University does sound very appealing, however. So I think it will be the University, or "University of Galaxy"
Can't wait to have all that advanced tech around!
Old November 12, 2001, 10:36   #39
Alynzia
Warlord

This is so cool!
Hey guys,

This is so cool! I would love to join in or just read if this becomes another role playing game. It's amazing what SMAC gets us thinking up! Do you finish playing a game and think 'Aww, dammit, dominating one Planet is never enough!'

Alynzia.

p.s. Are you (mostly) all still hating me from the Chiron Chronicles? Need I post an apology?
Alynzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2001, 11:20   #40
Sprayber
Emperor

Re: This is so cool!
Quote:
Originally posted by Alynzia
Hey guys,

This is so cool! I would love to join in or just read if this becomes another role playing game. It's amazing what SMAC gets us thinking up! Do you finish playing a game and think 'Aww, dammit, dominating one Planet is never enough!'

Alynzia.

p.s. Are you (mostly) all still hating me from the Chiron Chronicles? Need I post an apology?
Yeah, you can join in. We need everyone.

About the apology, I'm not the one that can answer that.
Old November 12, 2001, 21:42   #41
Sprayber
Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
FTL Drive. Pretty much everyone uses the same type of FTL drive. The University may have better ones or maybe radically different ones. That is up to whoever wants them. Now each faction can attempt to improve their drives but lets say for the sake of consistency that they are mostly the same.

Quote:
What about Warp type engines? it is more realistic to achieved according to Popular Mechanic I agree too...the theory makes sence then "Hyperspace" in Babylon 5 and etc.... but of course hard to know where your warping too...so have Nav buoys... also dangerous to directly in/out of the system unless you fly to the edge of the system....where you don't risk warping into a asteroid, meteor, another ship, etc..... Nav Buoys will use the FTL Comm technology.
Hmm, i never said what kind of FTL Drive.

Quote:
As for travel times, I volunteer to organize it just need an agreement as to using the stars we know....which makes sence if there is an Alpha Centauri....and Free Drones takes Vega I am sure i can find a map of stars atleast withing 100 to 500 lightyears radious of Sol... I know that Alpha Centauri is 4 lightyears from earth or if people prefer, can use Parsecs to measure distance. With distances, we can agree as to how fast the FTL drives are...establish common star lanes/trade routes using Nav Buoys and etc...... But for some aliens like the Fraal, they have deep space sensors to know where they are going
The Fraal can have deep space sensors I guess, but the reason I wanted the humans to not have them was to not have it turn into Star Trek. The humans should be less shophisicated and sleek as you see on Star Trek. when a human fleet is in warp, they should be more or less blind until they return to normal space. Now maybe the University labs can come up with something later on. Bree would be the same way. Gorn may be more advanced.

Quote:
TERRAN is the proper spelling and it is an alliance not dominated by earth...earth just the location of the headquarters and their Terran Council, comprise of representives from Mars, Venus, the Belters, the Scions, and other colonies/groups in the Sol system...... don't think Earth as to much problems with the Luna by the time the game starts Luna is so close to Earth and easy reach to pounce on any rebellions and blockading it.
Hey I was a hurry to get this wrote before my girlfriend called. . You can do whatever you want to with Earth.

Quote:
FRAAL is the proper spelling.......yes, i am picky
ok. sure

Quote:
I would prefer to keep this game focus in only in one small area of the Galaxy... so can't have to many big notch aliens in such a area.....but can still maybe find worlds of aliens that aren't advance enough yet to launch stuff into space.......:
I was mainly referring to evidence of ancient alien civs, kind of like Mr. President has already come up with. The ones I mentions are the only ones I see popping up. And like I said before, they are only for background story and the occasional flare up of war when someone comes along that might like to control them.

But you did bring up an important thing that everyone should pay attention to. There can be less evolved species on certain planets that the humans might take advantage of. This might also lead to PK condemnation but what can they do about what goes on deep in an empires boundries?
Old November 12, 2001, 22:07   #42
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Quote:

But you did bring up an important thing that everyone should pay attention to. There can be less evolved species on certain planets that the humans might take advantage of. This might also lead to PK condemnation but what can they do about what goes on deep in an empires boundries?
What a great idea! I never thought of that. It's a good idea, though.

By the way, the Peacekeepers don't have complete control of Chiron, since Free Drone headquarters is still there. I'm thinking of a storyline where most of the Drones left on Chiron leave because of disaster or something. Speaking of which, can I have a slightly altered name for my faction, like the Free Drone Republic or something like that?

If we need, I can use my astronomy texts to get a list of stars visible from Earth, many of which have cool-sounding names! Hint: You can conserve star names by settling more than one planet or satellite in each system.
Old November 12, 2001, 22:20   #43
Sprayber
Emperor

You can name your faction whatever you want.

But it would be nice to retain some form of the original like you did with yours.

Yeah the PKs have chiron as their seat of government but other factions still have some land there.

Your point of settling more than one planet is good. Some factions may spread themselves thin or some may pack into one system.
Old November 13, 2001, 00:12   #44
Sprayber
Emperor

Mr. President:

Here is a link to Vega

Here is the link for a list for the brighter stars . List
Old November 13, 2001, 03:21   #45
Alynzia
Warlord

As an add on...
Here is a list of all the stars within 10 light years of our sun...

Alpha Centauri - 4.4 l.y.
Proxima Centauri - 4.3 l.y.
Barnard's Star - 5.9 l.y.
Wolf 359 - 7.7 l.y.
Lalande 21185 - 8.2 l.y.
Sirius - 8.6 l.y.
Luyten 726-8 - 8.9 l.y.
Ross 154 - 9.45 l.y.

Of course it might be good to know the distances between each of them relative to each other... but I couldn't find them.

Alynzia

p.s. Can I be the future star-hippy Gaians?
Alynzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2001, 06:43   #46
Sprayber
Emperor

Re: As an add on...
Quote:
Originally posted by Alynzia
Here is a list of all the stars within 10 light years of our sun...

Alpha Centauri - 4.4 l.y.
Proxima Centauri - 4.3 l.y.
Barnard's Star - 5.9 l.y.
Wolf 359 - 7.7 l.y.
Lalande 21185 - 8.2 l.y.
Sirius - 8.6 l.y.
Luyten 726-8 - 8.9 l.y.
Ross 154 - 9.45 l.y.

Of course it might be good to know the distances between each of them relative to each other... but I couldn't find them.

Alynzia

p.s. Can I be the future star-hippy Gaians?

Gaians it is then.

And if anyone wants to look at a cool site here is another site that lists stars.

http://www.glyphweb.com/esky/stars/gienah.html

Last edited by Sprayber; November 13, 2001 at 06:49.
Old November 13, 2001, 17:25   #47
Mr. President
Emperor

Thanks for the links, Mr. Sprayber. Most useful indeed.

I love astronomy and space travel, so it's nice to have an activity where I can finally put my various obsessions to some use. I used to dream of writing a galactic empire novel like Asimov's.

I assume that all the factions have mastered all the research projects from Alpha Centauri, like N-Space Compression, Singularity Mechanics, and Temporal Mechanics? Because if they have, we can figure out what general sort of form the FTL drive should have.

Since this is after all of the Alpha Centauri research, I propose that FTL be exactly what it sounds like - a way to travel extremely fast without being destroyed in the process. Temporal Mechanics could offer a way around the problem of time moving backwards at speeds greater than light. The various matter manipulation technology would protect effectively against stray particles and other effects at that speed. I'm not even sure Einstein's theories wouldn't be proved inaccurate by the year 2700 or whenever we start.

edit: I keep meaning to ask and keep forgetting: How do you post pictures in these messages?
Old November 13, 2001, 19:00   #48
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President

I love astronomy and space travel, so it's nice to have an activity where I can finally put my various obsessions to some use. I used to dream of writing a galactic empire novel like Asimov's.

I assume that all the factions have mastered all the research projects from Alpha Centauri, like N-Space Compression, Singularity Mechanics, and Temporal Mechanics? Because if they have, we can figure out what general sort of form the FTL drive should have.

Since this is after all of the Alpha Centauri research, I propose that FTL be exactly what it sounds like - a way to travel extremely fast without being destroyed in the process. Temporal Mechanics could offer a way around the problem of time moving backwards at speeds greater than light. The various matter manipulation technology would protect effectively against stray particles and other effects at that speed. I'm not even sure Einstein's theories wouldn't be proved inaccurate by the year 2700 or whenever we start.

edit: I keep meaning to ask and keep forgetting: How do you post pictures in these messages?
Yeah I would think the AC tech tree is researched out by now except transcendance, Which would make our little game usless.

Mr. President: When you go to post a message, look below the text box, then below the little blue smilies, then below the the options boxes, you will then find Attach file. I usually move the image onto my desktop, which makes it easier to find. Just click browse and it will show all the files on your desktop, just click the desired file and press your submit reply button. You can only have one image per post and the Maximum size is 500000 bytes. Most of the time you have to resize or crop. That and use jpg and gif files.
Old November 13, 2001, 21:06   #49
Argonaut
Prince

Hey, Sprayber works for me. Do you mean in the sense that the Spartan's supporting the Datatech Homeworld, in that they support the Data Angels' demand for a Homeworld?

As for people relating to the Angels, I'd prefer to keep that to a minimum until recently. Basically, people had hoped they were exterminated and now they're rearing their heads again. But can certainly be cooperation with the Pirates to a degree due to their similar life styles currently. And of course, there are likely to be some Angel's within the Pirate gangs themselves....

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2001, 00:51   #50
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Argonaut
Hey, Sprayber works for me. Do you mean in the sense that the Spartan's supporting the Datatech Homeworld, in that they support the Data Angels' demand for a Homeworld?

As for people relating to the Angels, I'd prefer to keep that to a minimum until recently. Basically, people had hoped they were exterminated and now they're rearing their heads again. But can certainly be cooperation with the Pirates to a degree due to their similar life styles currently. And of course, there are likely to be some Angel's within the Pirate gangs themselves....
I mean that since the Data techs have done certain things for the Spartan Federation in the past, they would help secure a homeworld for them. The thing you would have to decide is. Would you want to be a nice guy and start on planet you would have to build up from scrach or would you want to take a developed planet using the might of the Spartan Federation. Keep in mind the Spartans would expect the Data techs to remain loyal. But either way the Spartans would prevent any outside power from interfering.

Maybe one of the many independent worlds that exist out there?
Old November 14, 2001, 05:37   #51
Sprayber
Emperor

Here is a peek at the Spartan System
Yes Syrma is a real star and all of its stats are real. The planets of course came out of Spartan History and my mind.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	polyfile01.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	5849  
Old November 14, 2001, 05:45   #52
Sprayber
Emperor

I had to move Hermione(last planet) in some to get the max size allowed.

Anyway here it is...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	graph.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	5851  
Old November 14, 2001, 09:24   #53
[LordLMP]

I rather that the Factions haven't discovered all of the SMAX techs....else they will definatly have an edge in space, to advance and etc...especially for the Terran Alliance........ why not say there was a huge tech stagnation during the time University invented its warp type FTL drive? Warp makes sence as it is simply making space closer....stretching space and use it to sling shot itself into high velocities....and some warp bubble/field is created that prevents the ship to tear apart. Don't need high SMAX techs to achieve that and quite realistic for something like that to be invented here in realife in the next 50 to 100 years....if they have "money" to spend on... (damn capitalism)

-LMP

Quote:

Old November 14, 2001, 22:42   #54
Mr. President
Emperor

I don't think it's such a hot idea to use Warp Drive. If we do, this will quickly turn into Star Trek. When I asked for all factions to have access to SMAX technology, that included the Terran Alliance. Maybe they can pick it up from the Fraal or something. Besides, warp drive would require enormous amounts of energy that you could probably only get from a singularity chamber anyway. In my mind it is much more feasible to move extremely fast than to tinker with the structure of the universe. (String Resonance apparently does this very thing, but it's always easier to destroy than to be gentle.)

Anyway, I attempted to put up the proposed map of Chiron , but it didn't work. If anyone wants it, put your e-mail addresses where I can see them (you aren't allowed to attach files if you use Apolyton's e-mail button) and I'll send it to you.
Old November 14, 2001, 23:25   #55
Sprayber
Emperor

Id like to take a look at the map Mr. President. chrisspr@hotmail.com

Just an idea, but exactly what means did the progentors use to achieve FTL speeds. Maybe the university did more reverse enginering than inventing???

FTL travel for humans should be difficult. Going from Sparta to Earth should be a big deal and not a weekend trip out in the country. This is not the sleek world of Star Trek. I see this more of a Starship Trooper type enviroment. I know, some say bad writiing,but I liked its style. It was more "real" then star trek. Maybe Aliens 2 or Space above and beyond are better examples.
Old November 15, 2001, 00:59   #56
[LordLMP]

Quote:
I don't think it's such a hot idea to use Warp Drive. If we do, this will quickly turn into Star Trek. When I asked for all factions to have access to SMAX technology, that included the Terran Alliance. Maybe they can pick it up from the Fraal or something. Besides, warp drive would require enormous amounts of energy that you could probably only get from a singularity chamber anyway. In my mind it is much more feasible to move extremely fast than to tinker with the structure of the universe. (String Resonance apparently does this very thing, but it's always easier to destroy than to be gentle.)

Anyway, I attempted to put up the proposed map of Chiron , but it didn't work. If anyone wants it, put your e-mail addresses where I can see them (you aren't allowed to attach files if you use Apolyton's e-mail button) and I'll send it to you.

First of all, don't have to use the word Warp....and don't have to be startrek like..... Starwars "Hyperdrives" is similar to warp drives...just faster in the starwars universe And says who you need considerable amount of energy? in the startrek universe, the first human warp drive was powered by Fission/Fusion.

Just saying Warp type FTL drives is more realistic to achieve in real life then Wormholes, "Hyperspace", 2.51 days jumps in Alternity, instant jumps in Battletech and etc...

And Warp engine does move you very fast without tinkering the Universe like wormholes, "hyperspace", and etc....... Simply uses Space as a slingshot in a sence. I say we don't go way to advance in the techs and as it would be pathetic and silly....... oh look, big bad super singulirity lasers!!! look at those super armors on those ships!! etc........

I already said Fraal doesn't advance tech, especially if it can easily be use for military applications. Scions won't give any tech either....which is mainly biometal and some advances in nanotechnology. Possible to travel space with Fusion reactors hook up to a FTL drive.....

Wonder why the large Proginator of the empire was able to so quickly reduce themselves practicly almost back into the stone age..... Advance super techs of amense power, pretty quickly blast themselves to smithreens, especially with big bad Singulirity Bombs.

in my opinion, have all the technologies in SMAC/X ruins the game...just going to make the game into a big power play between very advance factions then actual room for stories....
As anyone play Total Annihilation? With super techs, thats the kind of feeling i get.... two large empire duking it out for ages in a galaxy.....wrecking the galaxy at the same time.....

-LMP
Old November 15, 2001, 01:25   #57
[LordLMP]

Quote:
Id like to take a look at the map Mr. President. chrisspr@hotmail.com

Just an idea, but exactly what means did the progentors use to achieve FTL speeds. Maybe the university did more reverse enginering than inventing???

FTL travel for humans should be difficult. Going from Sparta to Earth should be a big deal and not a weekend trip out in the country. This is not the sleek world of Star Trek. I see this more of a Starship Trooper type enviroment. I know, some say bad writiing,but I liked its style. It was more "real" then star trek. Maybe Aliens 2 or Space above and beyond are better examples.
I haven't read the Starship Trooper book, don't remember any details concerning FTL in Aliens 2 and haven't seen a episode of Space: Above and Beyond that explains their method of faster then light travel........ so explain in general terms.

Warp style still as a higher chance to achieve.....but won't be as easy like startrekl makes it......actually in the new Enterprise series, will show how hard warp travel is without proper long range sensors, proper warp field to prevent particles to nail the ship....especially if there ain't any shields....
As for the reverse effect....makes sence, but such effect to happen you need a Quantum Drive (Quantum reactor is splitting a light particle in SMAC/X)...that your actually using light particles to sling shot you to FTL velocities....or turning ship into quantum light effect........ As for Einsteins theories...i don't think it is complete and his theories only applies if your using quantum like engines....become light.....and that light takes 4.4 years to get to alpha centauri.... physicly, will still be the same age, but in reality, 4.4 years as elapse. or as for the revers effect....the stars of alpha centauri we see right now is how it look like 4.4 years ago...so if you quatum drive in light speed, into that image...then your effectively going back in time...so get to Alpha Centauri, same age and etc...just time elapse -4.4 years.

Warp drive simply uses space as a sling shot.....warp field grabs the space in front and pulls it towards the ship, and then that space is release at the back of the ship, sling shoting the ship.... with effective warp field, can sling shot the ship into FTL velocities. Won't exactly be experience any high Gs because space is brought to you, not some reaction engines pushing you to it. and using a warp bubble or whateverm particles don't get threw.... warp field/bubble as to make a smooth ride through space... like wings of an airplane cuts through air to keep the plane aloft.

As for what the Proginators used....don't know... but watchng the intro in SMAX, looks more like they Warped in like in startrek and instantly started firing at each other. as for slower then light engines, looks like the proginators uses from form of inertial type engine, like in the STL engines in the Honor Harrington books, instead of reaction like impulse engines in startrek.

-LMP
Old November 15, 2001, 01:55   #58
Sprayber
Emperor

I am mad
Here I take all the trouble and time to make a star system and not one even comments. All you can talk about are warps and hypers and frills and fralls and frilly fralls..

BTW. I am making a new sign in thread. I ask of you Please just state what you want to play and give some of your timelines for your faction. Please discuss any problems you may have in the first discussion thread.
Old November 15, 2001, 05:18   #59
Mr. President
Emperor

More insanity from the brain of Mr. President:

Breaking The Light Barrier - Idea 1 (The Quantum Method)

Quantum tunneling is commonplace among stray particles in the void. This method involves using advanced resonation techniques to amplify the disturbance into a "hole" large enough for a starship to pass through. The ship appears up to three light-years away in almost no time. Problems (for users): Not all quantum tunneling events are stable; it is very difficult to reliably position the exit point. It can be done with comm buoys broadcasting faster-than-light string-level resonations; but without these buoys it is extremely unsafe.

Breaking The Light Barrier - Idea 2 (The Brute Force Method)

Vizorium-5 and Kalciate are forced together under extremely high temperatures in the presence of an artificial singularity (the equipment for this reaction can only be carried on the largest classes of ship). The energy generated is channeled into string resonators that set up an enormous force at the level of the Planck length, propelling the ship in the opposite direction at nearly twice the speed of light. The ship is quite literally hurled away from the space it just occupied, by that space itself. The equations of temporal mechanics are the basis for the creation of a stasis field around the ship, which allows time on board to run in a "normal" fashion. (Particles such as tachyons which travel faster than light experience time in the opposite direction from the rest of the universe.) Problems (for users): The ship is unable to use conventional sensors while travelling faster than light; it is almost impossible to change direction once the FTL engines have been fired; requires almost an entire light-year as stopping distance. Emergency stops or direction changes may be effected by firing string disruptors; this usually damages the ship severely.

I like your solar system Mr. Sprayber. How did you make it?
Old November 15, 2001, 06:04   #60
Sprayber
Emperor

I like number 2. Going by that, I assume that smaller class vessels would have to go along for the ride with the larger FTL capable ship? And insanity can be good at times..

Well the first one I just went through the entire list of stars until I came to one that was about the right distance from Earth and could reasonable support planets. I never knew that binary stars were so common. At least when it comes to the brigher stars in the sky. (I think we can make up stars that wouldn't appear as bright as some neigboring stars. ) The second one I just used a model of our solar system, moved some around, and used planet classifications from a star trek site as my guide. I had to edit the jpg cause you are restricted to 600X470 for the size.

http://www.glyphweb.com/esky/default...rs/gienah.html

http://www.ucip.org/miscellaneous/planets.html

http://www.jtwinc.com/Extrasolar/star.asp?StarID=30