Old November 11, 2001, 19:00   #31
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 11:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
ICBMS should be able to totally destroy a city, with a few of them. With one city, after it's been bombed, it should be really really badly hurt for a bit, so it can't do anything, even with what it has left. Like a massively massive civil disorder except with everyone content -- disaster tends to flatten out the public oppinion. It should also make all of your other cities incredably loyal, but should halt WLTK days for a bit (maybe have a new day, for We Support the King instead to show national support but not happyness). In other words, I don't think it's reasonable for a city to be nuked and then resume work a turn later with half poplulation, fewer units, and destroyed improvements but besides that nothing wrong. Instead, city should be devistated for the time being, but able to recover.

As for Tactical Nukes, I can take what Hugo said when it comes to them... though I think they should completley destroy all units on the square where they land (that's the point of one), I can accept this without that.

-- adaMada
Old November 11, 2001, 19:19   #32
GNGSpam
Warlord

Local Time: 16:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Its silly to discuss the historical equivlant of the Civ Nuke in terms of single missles, and especially in terms of the bombs of World War II.

First off, the 2 bombs that hit Nagasaki and Hiroshima would be considered tactical Nukes, having no propulsion of their own but having been gravity dropped by a bomber.

Secondly, the ICBM in Civ3 does not represent a single ICBM missle. The US is currently reducing its arsenal to 2,250 missles. No one in Civ3 has built 2,250 ICBM units yet, and I doubt anyone well except as some gag.

Therefore its perfectly reasonable to assume that the ICBM unit represents not one missle but rather an entire silo of missles, and that launching it at a city represents the concentration of multiple warheads at a single region.

Further its important to realize that a city is not just a single city but also the surrounding area, including nearby suburbs, villages, and the countryside.

In Civ2 terms New York would not only be New York City, but the greater part of New York state, New Jersey, Conneticut, Mass., and Rhode Island.

Just offering some perspective