Old December 21, 2000, 04:57   #1
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:12
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Problems w/creation; Solutions?
A problem has cropped up w/the MODERN AGE sceanrio that is still being tested. I wonder if anyone could offer any advice on solutions?

1.) I have an event that gives a "no,no" (European Obsolescence) tech to any of 5 different player-positons in the scenario when those players research and acquire another, researchable tech (Modern Troops). When I initially scheduled this event, it gave the "no,no" tech to the players that were supposed to receive it when the event was triggered, but on every subsequent turn too! Not good. It should only happen once w/each player. If I alter the event w/a "just once" order, does that mean that the event will only be triggered once in the game? That all 4 of the subsequent players who reach the trigger, researchable tech will NOT receive it because the event has already fired off "just once?" If this is the case, will it help to create 5 indentical events w/the same trigger so that all 5 players each receive the "no,no" tech, or will those multiple triggers simply ALL be activated by the FIRST player to reach the trigger tech? Was that decipherable?

Wrestling with the act of creation,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
"a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
"or a very good liar." --Stefu
[This message has been edited by Exile (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old December 21, 2000, 07:59   #2
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 01:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If you are using FW you will have to make a seperate event for all 5 civs in order to get that to work right. In ToT there are more possibilities but I am not familiar with them.

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
http://members.nbci.com/thalys
Old December 21, 2000, 08:05   #3
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 02:12
quote:

If I alter the event w/a "just once" order, does that mean that the event will only be triggered once in the game?

Yes, only once for the specified civ, when the conditions are right.

quote:

...will it help to create 5 indentical events w/the same trigger so that all 5 players each receive the "no,no" tech, or will those multiple triggers simply ALL be activated by the FIRST player to reach the trigger tech? Was that decipherable?

Yes, thatīs the solution. Make five similar events for each civ, add the JustOnce to every of these events, then every civ should receive the No/No tech after the research of the other, researchable tech. The multiple triggers will NOT be activated All by the first player if you specify the correct civ as receiver of the No/No tech...

Edit: Hmm, Mathias youīve beaten me...
------------------
Civ2000
[This message has been edited by BeBro (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old December 21, 2000, 08:08   #4
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 01:12
Lightning Hendrik strikes again...

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
http://members.nbci.com/thalys
Old December 21, 2000, 08:09   #5
Exile
King

FLASH of insight! Thank you so much, gentlemen! Yes, of course that's the solution! Got it!

My primordial ancestors figured out fire. Eventually, I will rise to their standards.

OK, here is another, maybe even the final problem; There are a host of wonders in the scenario I'm working on. The wonders that are placed seem to be functioning, (but how do you find out?) but the wonders that are not placed at the start of the scenario are NOT functioning--they are not even appearing when the requisite tech is acquired, and the AIs are not building them either. At the start of the scenario, the Magellan wonder is under construction in 3 different cities. Playtesting has revealed that if it is built, it will appear and it WILL function normally. If one of the building players discontinues construction of Magellan, he cannot resume building it. It will not appear on the build list in his city screen. Suggestions? Explanations?

Eureka!
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
[This message has been edited by Exile (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old December 21, 2000, 08:46   #6
Patient English
Prince

Local Time: 00:12
I'm guessing you have the Victory Point option turned on in this scenario and the "count Wonders as Objectives" set too. (These are in the scenario parameters - victory conditions).

This is just a bug in FW. Turn off the "count Wonders as objectives" and your Wonders will be buildable.

Wonder effects only happen if the Wonders are not obsolete. Check that area in Rules.txt.

John
Old December 21, 2000, 09:20   #7
Exile
King

Tried your suggestion about wonders as objectives. Absolutely correct. It works fine now.

Thank you very much,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
Old December 21, 2000, 18:59   #8
Exile
King

A new problem has appeared. My events file keeps disappearing. When I open the folder, the text is there, but when I go into cheat mode (in the game/scenario) with the intent to alter events, the event file is empty. It happened once before, then I simply redid the entire file. There was a text warning that something was wrong. It looks like I'll have to do it again. At least it CAN be done; did it last time. But this is annoying. Are there hidden rules I should know about before using the events editor/manager/whatsit? It seems like I lose the stuff every time AFTER I make an adjustment to a number that is already part of a trigger. Sound familiar? I just know someone is going to say, "change it from notepad; stop using the editors." Tried to use the "parser." No idea how or why. Failed.

Wrestling w/creation,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
Old December 22, 2000, 05:41   #9
BeBro
Emperor

No events displayed in the editor? But the file is there?
Hmm, not sure about this, try to START the scn, do not open an old savegame of the scn, because the events are embedded in the savegame. So, if you open an old savegame it contains old events (or no events, if you created the savegame before you had any events ready).

If that causes the problem, you can also use the little tool Delevent.exe to remove the embedded events from a savegame (simply drag and drop the savegame on the delevent icon), than the savegame will use the events in your scn folder again

------------------
Civ2000
Old December 22, 2000, 08:08   #10
Exile
King

Thanks again, BeBro, but this time I think we are operating differently. I don't think that I adjust and tweak from a save game file. Don't know WHAT or HOW I do it exactly, but here are the rules that I use (so far); units, techs, and terrain can be altered permanently in the scenario under construction by simply clicking on the scenario file while on the "play scenario" opening, hitting the cheat button, and start changing things. No saves are necessary. If I want to create alterations to techs assigned to players at start, events, units at start, victory conditions, or any of the game parameters, then I must hit the "save as scenario" button at the bottom of the cheat menu when I finish. Otherwise, the changes that I make to unit characteristics, techs, and terrain will apparently be saved simply by exiting the game. Some things take a "save as scenario" to actually put them IN the scenario. Other things don't require a "save as scenario" for them to be saved in the scenario. I had to learn this through trial and error. I own all the "guides" but have yet to see anyone coherently address this issue with scenario building. Possibly they have and I'm just too dense to see it.

About the events file; it's there allright, but it won't appear in the scenario at all. Don't know if the events will fire or not. Oh well. I have redone the events file several times. It seems that if I get it right, it will stay. If I have to go back in and change numbers anywhere, I have problems. The lesson; get it right the first time or do it all again. And DON'T adjust numbers in the event file after they are typed in. This is simply my "Newtonian" way of scenario-building; it may not be the "Einsteinian" perfection of someone who KNOWS what the program is doing, but it is sufficiently accurate enough so that I can make it function, (even if I don't really understand what it is doing or why.) I can readily see now why most people dislike the editors. Only through painful trial and error have I figured out how to use the damn things--and I am STILL learning.

Civ3 better be better than this.

Wrestling w/creation.

------------------
Lost in America
[This message has been edited by Exile (edited December 22, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Exile (edited December 22, 2000).]
Old December 22, 2000, 11:24   #11
BeBro
Emperor

Perhaps I havenīt explained clearly what I mean, Exile.

When you open cheat mode and look into the events editor, are there your events listed?

If so, all is fine and the scn uses the events created by you. Then the problem lays in the events itself, I mean, the scn will use them, but perhaps you specified conditions that never happen in your scn.

If there are no events listed in the scn editor, your scn simply donīt use the events file.

BTW, if you use many events with the ANYBODY option, please note that such events often donīt work correctly, then replace ANYBODY with a civ name

------------------
Civ2000
Old December 22, 2000, 19:26   #12
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 00:12
John, so I already missed your debut here. I feel it should have been announced with trumpets blaring a fanfare. Instead, not with a bang, but not quite a whimper. I'm glad to see you here

* Welcome, to the forums.*

Now how long were you planning on remaining obscure?
Old December 23, 2000, 03:55   #13
Exile
King

Bebro; Ok, the problem has been solved, but I really have no idea how or why. No, when the events were not firing, and I looked in the events file from the editors menu, there was nothing. Apparently the program was not accessing the file. You are right, I think, about the "Anybody" command--it seems to be buggy. I'll forego using it in the future.

I've been testing the thing for some time now, playing all civs, with very few new tweaks. It is close to being done. I'll try it again a few more times over the next week, just to make sure. But it seems complete. I am happy w/events, city locations, techs, units, wonders, and even how the game runs on its own. Several times now, the Spanish have both conquered Granada and built the Voyages of Discovery wonder by 1492. Very often, the Turks will take all the Imperial cities in Hungary and lay siege to Vienna, usually by 1505! Occasionally the Turks start to pick off the Italian cities along the east coast of the Adriatic and Ionian islands. The Berbers, of course, attack any and all shipping coming anywhere near them. Now if I could only get the French to march into Italy and take Naples by 1500 . . .

Wrestling w/creation (but almost DONE!),
Exile

------------------
Lost in America