Old November 11, 2001, 09:09   #1
TLG
Settler

Local Time: 17:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI diplomacy is not logical
Let me introduce you the "Me-IA-do-not-always-understand-what-the-human-player-wants-so-I-always-reject-his-offers-when-it-happens" :

Having 121 gold in treasury I contact Elizabeth to change 100 of my gold against 10 gold just to see how sterling pounds look like

Well, my advisor was right, they would never accept such a deal since she declined my offer.

TLG
Fixareus promotion tour 2001
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=33104
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	eliztrade.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	5694  
Old November 11, 2001, 09:13   #2
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 16:32
Well I'd be cautious and suspicious too if someone offered me a deal like that.
Old November 11, 2001, 10:16   #3
Zoetstofzoetje
Chieftain

They always do that, like, if you offer them 10 gold pieces/turn and want 1 gold pieces/turn. My guess is Firaxis didn't get around to making the AI able to subtract numbers, because such a deal is illogical and unnecessary to begin with!
Old November 11, 2001, 10:18   #4
tishco
Prince

DP
formerlyanon@hotmail.com
Old November 11, 2001, 10:18   #5
tishco
Prince

what about 20 gold for 1 gold a turn for 20 turns!
formerlyanon@hotmail.com
Old November 11, 2001, 10:24   #6
Venger
King

Local Time: 10:32
So damn retarded!!!
God I am SICK of seeing $hit like this. I'm still in my first game (can't help it, I kick ass on a big map and am rolling up the AI like a 5 cent whore). But I have seen piece after piece after piece of stuff like this that is clearly the result of shoving the game out the door and up our @$$...

I've noticed that the AI in trading just isn't very smart. Why won't it trade two luxuries for one? Why doesn't it realize a good deal from a bad deal? Why can it be extorted at one time and absolutely retardly indignant another? I can demand and get 15 gold a turn from a Civ with zero in the bank?

Control, control, you must learn control!

Venger
Old November 11, 2001, 10:34   #7
squid
Warlord

I don't talk with crazy people. I do not blame her.

Yes, this is stupid.
Old November 11, 2001, 11:08   #8
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

What I hate is when I ask the AI for a loan and they say "sorry, our treasury is empty"...then I look and they have about 5000 gold in it.
Old November 11, 2001, 11:17   #9
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 12:32
Re: So damn retarded!!!
Quote:
[SIZE=1]
I've noticed that the AI in trading just isn't very smart. Why won't it trade two luxuries for one? Why doesn't it realize a good deal from a bad deal? Why can it be extorted at one time and absolutely retardly indignant another? I can demand and get 15 gold a turn from a Civ with zero in the bank?

Control, control, you must learn control!

Venger
Actually, most AIs already have the maximum number of 8 luxuries. Having more will not help them. If you badly need a luxury, just offer 25-50 gold per turn, and most of the times the comp will agree.

And you can ask 15 gold/turn simply because an empty treasury does not mean you don't have revenues.
Old November 11, 2001, 13:26   #10
Peterk
Chieftain

> God I am SICK of seeing $hit like this

Take it easy. They just didn't account for every stupid thing us users might try and do. The offer is pretty retarded to begin with so I'm not surprised that it fell through a hole in the code somehow. As long as the AI deals with "normal" trades ok, what's the big deal.
Old November 11, 2001, 14:14   #11
David Murray
Prince

Old November 11, 2001, 14:14   #12
David Murray
Prince

Yeh, this is a REALLY, REALLY big bug!

It REALLY epitomizes all the flaws in the AI!

I can just imagine the HORDES of Civvers who won't be able to sleep at night because the AI won't give them 10 gold in exchange for 100 and other such realistic, day-to-day agreements!

Yeh, terrible diplomacy system Firaxis!
Old November 11, 2001, 14:29   #13
Akaoz
Prince

Re: Re: So damn retarded!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Oncle Boris

Actually, most AIs already have the maximum number of 8 luxuries. Having more will not help them. If you badly need a luxury, just offer 25-50 gold per turn, and most of the times the comp will agree.

And you can ask 15 gold/turn simply because an empty treasury does not mean you don't have revenues.
How many luxuries are there?

-Alech
Old November 11, 2001, 15:44   #14
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 08:32
Quote:
Well I'd be cautious and suspicious too if someone offered me a deal like that.
I would be cautious too... but I would take it. And then when I'm pillaging their towns I would kindly say, "Oh by the way thank you for that loving gift earlier."

Quote:
Why won't it trade two luxuries for one?
I wondered about this too, but besides understanding Oncle Boris' points, Soren mentioned how luxuries are FAR more valuable to larger empires... which makes sense. If I have 30 democracy cities & contact a militaristic civilization with 10 cities... naturally a luxury is going to be far more valuable to the civilization with 30 cities. Additionally, your reputation, culture, & the other civ's attitude toward you also play a role. There seem to be many variables which come into play for trading... not just what is on the table.

When people don't understand something why not just inquire about it in a civil tone? Then if you don't get a reasonable answer start to rant/whine... if you must.
Old November 11, 2001, 15:54   #15
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:32
I found that in my first game where I did what I said I would and kept all agreements, they made deals with me much easier. But in my new game they just have a smirk on there face and won't trade with me at all no matter how much i want to give them. I think it must be because I broke some military alliances earlier on.
Old November 11, 2001, 16:31   #16
Flash70
Settler

Local Time: 18:32
Re: Re: So damn retarded!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Oncle Boris

Actually, most AIs already have the maximum number of 8 luxuries. Having more will not help them...
Not always. In several games I played, the AI did not have many luxuries and accepting my trade offer would have benefited him at least as much it would benefit me.
But still he made absurd demands like asking for two techs, large sum of money and another luxury in return for a single luxury I requested !

This behavior really annoyed me. So eventually what I did was trading my luxuries for money, then spending the money to increase the entertainment.
Old November 11, 2001, 17:48   #17
WyattMax
Settler

You, my Hero ;)
@Avenger

Quote:
... first game (can't help it, I kick ass on a big map and a$$
Maybe it is time to move up from chiftain level to a real level ?

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old November 11, 2001, 18:02   #18
Ulfang
Settler

Nahhhh It's us typically stubborn English!! You forgot to say PLEASE!!!
Old November 11, 2001, 18:48   #19
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 11:32
lol

I think this is a bug (deep thoughts )... should be fixed in a patch. Lol, Soren, if you're reading this, any clue how this manages to happen (I'd think the AI would assign 100 gold a higher value than 10 gold so would accept the offer, based purely on what you've said so far...)? Just out of curiosity, of course...

-- adaMada
Old November 11, 2001, 19:30   #20
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:32
Patch Readme v1.08
- AI now accepts 100 dollars in trade for 10
-sorry, due to time limitations.....
Old November 12, 2001, 05:49   #21
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Haven't tried to make such a trade yet, but what bothers me more (when talking diplomacy) is the AI always want more than they want to give me.

How many times haven't I seen this: They want to talk to me, they propose the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" deal, but the table says this: "They offer World map; They want World map AND one or two techs".

If I want to make a deal, let's say a map for a map, they just get annoyed even if I have the most knowledge about the world. In some Firaxis chat short time ago (never remember names ) it was mentioned the AI doesn't see who is AI and who is human, but I just can't make this fit right in, because the AI always want more than the other one, if that is so, the AI can never make a deal with an other AI, but I still see AI making deals...how can this be if they both want more than they will give
Old November 12, 2001, 05:57   #22
Grim Legacy
Prince

Seems your culture rating is in the picture too. Check the histograph score. I've noticed that keeping up with the enemies greatly facilitates trade.

Also: betrayal on your part makes them very wary, betrayal on their part makes them very humble.
Old November 12, 2001, 08:31   #23
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

It's getting stranger now. I just tried to make a deal. The deal was a tech from them for a tech + 50 gold, the adviser said "We're getting close to a deal here", now I added 50 gold (Just to test it...) and now the adviser said: "They will never accept such a deal"...

If this aint strange (ok, it doesn't beat the 100 gold for 10 gold, but it's close )
Old November 12, 2001, 08:51   #24
Grim Legacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
It's getting stranger now. I just tried to make a deal. The deal was a tech from them for a tech + 50 gold, the adviser said "We're getting close to a deal here", now I added 50 gold (Just to test it...) and now the adviser said: "They will never accept such a deal"...

If this aint strange (ok, it doesn't beat the 100 gold for 10 gold, but it's close )
Changed the techs on the table?
Old November 12, 2001, 08:53   #25
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Legacy

Changed the techs on the table?
Nope, the only thing I changed was adding those 50 gold. And I'm sure because there where only one tech possible each place
Old November 12, 2001, 08:56   #26
Venger
King

Treaty? I don't need no stinking treaty!
Quote:
Seems your culture rating is in the picture too. Check the histograph score. I've noticed that keeping up with the enemies greatly facilitates trade.

Also: betrayal on your part makes them very wary, betrayal on their part makes them very humble.
As to power affecting trade, so far that's nonsense. I'm the most powerful nation on the map and the AI STILL doesn't accept fair trading. Want to trade a luxury? They want THREE in exchange at this point. Trade a tech? No, they want two techs AND gold. Apparently the AI routine that determines what a AI Civ needs simply takes what you offer and multiplies it...

Now, as to "betrayal" - that may make some sense. However, what constitutes betrayal? Bulding cities on my continent that I decide I cannot leave intact? Sorry, that's not betrayal. Betrayal should be breaking a treaty mutual advantage, not simply peace.

In Civ3, you get two options - war or peace. What if I don't want a stinking peace treaty with you but don't want war either? Doesn't seem possible. Again, still playing my LONG first game, so there may be something I am missing on this particular point.

However, the Aztecs, who have on many occassions demanded something or threatened war, and never had the nuts to do it, shouldn't get any "indignation points" when I finally open an old fashioned Can O Whoopas$ on him...

Venger
Old November 12, 2001, 09:13   #27
Grim Legacy
Prince

Re: Treaty? I don't need no stinking treaty!
Quote:
Originally posted by Venger

As to power affecting trade, so far that's nonsense. I'm the most powerful nation on the map and the AI STILL doesn't accept fair trading. Want to trade a luxury? They want THREE in exchange at this point. Trade a tech? No, they want two techs AND gold. Apparently the AI routine that determines what a AI Civ needs simply takes what you offer and multiplies it...
"power"? I said culture. Read more carefully next time, eh.

In fact, I think military/population/production power strikes negatively on the bargaining: you get too strong for the opponents taste, and they become reluctant to make you richer.

Quote:
Now, as to "betrayal" - that may make some sense. However, what constitutes betrayal? Bulding cities on my continent that I decide I cannot leave intact? Sorry, that's not betrayal. Betrayal should be breaking a treaty mutual advantage, not simply peace.

In Civ3, you get two options - war or peace. What if I don't want a stinking peace treaty with you but don't want war either? Doesn't seem possible. Again, still playing my LONG first game, so there may be something I am missing on this particular point.

However, the Aztecs, who have on many occassions demanded something or threatened war, and never had the nuts to do it, shouldn't get any "indignation points" when I finally open an old fashioned Can O Whoopas$ on him...
Ya ya, too bad for you. Betrayal is simply going to war or breaking an alliance or any of such pre-defined actions. Territorial harassment, threats and such do not fall into this category. Such is life in Civ. Instead of complaining about it, you could try to harness these means by yourself and know you're not losing any 'trust points'.
Old November 12, 2001, 09:43   #28
Venger
King

Re: Treaty? I don't need no stinking treaty!
Quote:

"power"? I said culture. Read more carefully next time, eh.
Same diff. I have the most culture too. Why would that encourage them to trade with me anyways? Trading should be done on the parties own best interest, not because they think your culture is cool. Either you need Dye and Horses, or you don't. Either the deal if fair, or it isn't. That's that. [/quote]

Quote:
In fact, I think military/population/production power strikes negatively on the bargaining: you get too strong for the opponents taste, and they become reluctant to make you richer.
Which makes SOME sense, but it's not a zero sum gain either. It's complete and utter stupidity is shown in the post at the top of the thread - 100 gold is rejected for 10. This is SIMPLY RIDICULOUS. No amount of "culture" or "you're too strong" makes 100 for 10 a bad deal. What the deal shows is that the trading algorithm needs major work - this is what we get for not playtesting the game...

Quote:
Ya ya, too bad for you. Betrayal is simply going to war or breaking an alliance or any of such pre-defined actions.
Breaking an alliance is not the same as going to war. That the game is designed to reflect that means the defect is in the game, not in the fact.

Quote:
Territorial harassment, threats and such do not fall into this category. Such is life in Civ.
Same as above. It should fall into the category. The failure to is a gameplay flaw.

Quote:
Instead of complaining about it, you could try to harness these means by yourself and know you're not losing any 'trust points'.
Not sure what you mean here...

Venger
Old November 12, 2001, 11:04   #29
mathgoulet
Settler

I wonder if you could do the opposite, giving 10 golds and asking for 100!
Old November 12, 2001, 11:16   #30
Aiya
Settler

I was playing last night as japanese and my ally, persians, was at war against the babylonians. I was just making sure that my ally was happy with the way the war was going and asked to extend the war (not really needed). But I thought, what the heck.

To my surprise, when I asked them to sign a military alliance, they requested 1000+ gold per turn, 1500 gold lump, and 3 techs!!!! I was like WTF!

It didn't matter, they were still at war. But I got pissed, and revolked all my trades with my ally (saltpeter and rubber). Then proceeded to clean out the map. Stupid Ally, now you die with the rest for being so stupid!