American F-15 6 4.05%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11, 2001, 13:47   #1
Wulfram
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Which is the most useful Unique Unit
Just wondering which Unique Unit is thought to be best. Here's their stats (taken from Most Useless Unique Unit vote)

Aztec Jaguar Warrior 1-1-2 Cost:10shlds (none)
Zulu Impi Warrior 1-2-2 Cost: 20shlds (BronzeWorking)
Greek Hoplite 1-3-1 Cost:20shlds (BronzeWorking - Greece starts with)
Babylonian Bowman 2-2-1 Cost:20shlds (WarriorCode)
Egyptian WarChariot 2-1-2 Cost:30shlds+horses (TheWheel)
Roman Legionary 3-3-1 Cost:30shlds+iron (IronWorking)
Persian Immortal 4-2-1 Cost:30shlds+iron (IronWorking)
Iroquois MountedWarrior 3-1-2 ZOC Cost:30shlds+horses (Horseback Riding)
Chinese Rider 4-3-3 ZOC Cost:70shlds+horses (Chivalry)
Japanese Samurai 4-4-2 Cost:70shlds+iron (Chivalry)
Indian WarElephant 4-4-2 Cost:80shlds (Chivalry)
French Musketeer 3-4-1 Cost:60shlds+saltpeter (Gunpowder)
English Man-O-War 3-2-4 (3-1-2) Cost:60shlds+iron+saltpeter (Magnetism)
Russian Cossack 6-3-3 ZOC Cost:80shlds+horses+saltpeter (MilitaryTradition)
German Panzer 16-8-3 ZOC Cost:100shlds+oil+rubber (MotorizedTransportation)
American F-15 8-4-1 (4-0(6)-2) Cost:100shlds+oil+aluminum (Rocketry)
Old November 18, 2001, 11:45   #2
J10
Settler

Re: Which is the most useful Unique Unit
Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfram
Chinese Rider 4-3-3 ZOC Cost:70shlds+horses (Chivalry)
You also need iron to produce a Rider.
Old November 21, 2001, 20:06   #3
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:33
I think this is too difficult to answer yet. First of all, I doubt many people have tried out all the civs yet to see how their specific unique unit helps. Second, a lot depends on what style of play you prefer. Third, it matters how much stronger the unique unit is compared to the standard counterpart (has anyone made a comparison of that yet?). Fourth, the terrain matters; some unique units can be greatly negated by playing a map with lots of impassible terrain. Fifth, length of game matters; if I play to win before the Modern Age, German Panzers and American F-15's aren't going to even come into play.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old November 22, 2001, 00:19   #4
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:33
i echo your thoughts as well Cavebear... time will see alot of changes in strategies ..its too early still
Old November 22, 2001, 01:54   #5
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 18:33
I haven't tried all the civs yet, but I suppose the Panzer and Man-O-War are my favourites. But I won't give my vote yet.
Old November 23, 2001, 10:10   #6
Signless
Settler

We have to wait for F-15 till patch come out, Air units is bug and useless, became enemy keep bombing on my land and I have Jet fighter or F-15 dont do their job with SMA I forget spelling that.
Old November 28, 2001, 21:55   #7
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

Hoplites are great - every other civ needs to wait until the second age in order to get a unit that is as good as this one, which the greeks can build right away. amazing if you're going any non-militaristic route, and great if you are and want to secure your conquered cities.

I think that immortals are my favorite, but the persians are my favorite civ (i love scientific/industrial as a combo). the attack of 4 is unmatched until the middle ages, and since persians start with bronze working, they can get iron working as their first tech to be researched and have a major advantage. when you get them, go attack!! NOW !!!! winning cities and getting workers this early in the game can make or break the rest of the game. By the time you can build them, your enemies will have many small cities ripe for the plucking.

I also love cossacks - the ability to conquer and the staying power to defend the cities afterwards makes them nice all-around. Heck, they even look cool, and they come at a time where getting a golden age (if you haven't already got one) is a great advantage - your empire is big and can get that boost that you can ride right on in to the industrial ages

finally i have to say that panzers are amazing, but only if your ultimate goal is TGD. If not, don't take germany - its simple really. Personally, i know that they are amazing but i'd never take germany because i love to conquer early, and by the mid to late industrial ages, lay back, fortify my cities and start the culture/diplomatic/scientific race to the finish line.

but thats just what i think

Cheers and good gaming everyone!
~Alex
Old November 29, 2001, 07:10   #8
King of Rasslin
Prince

Legion is the best, but depends on age
For early on, the legion has the swordsman's attack and the pikeman's defence. Plus, the Persians are not commercial like the Romans. You won't have a higher defence unit until you get the musket man. And the musket man doesn't have 3 attack.

The cossack is also good for having a high defence for such a powerful, mobile unit. And since it can attack many times, the Panzer is much more powerful than the normal tank.

I would go for a general purpose unit that can be good for anything. The babylonian bowman is a good choice, but 3/3 is also great.

I find military tradition and cavalry come too soon to make the samurai useful

But for the middle ages, the samurai rules. It depends on when you actually want to wage war. I just like legions for early defence and power, thats all.
Old November 29, 2001, 15:05   #9
KoalaBear33
Warlord

Personally I think the best UU so far (I tried all of them except the late game units like the F-15) is the Persian Immortal. You need to get iron but if you can get that then you can rush and attack all the neemy civilizations. Rushing usually eliminates one or two civilizations (if they are reasonably close to you).

KoalaBear33
Old November 29, 2001, 16:48   #10
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 18:33
I have finally made up my mind; the Persian Immortal is my favourite. At least it has been useful against the Roman Legions in my current Roman campaign.
Old February 23, 2002, 17:04   #11
Pius Popprasch
Warlord

The first vote for the Iroquois Mounted Warrior.
Fast and 3 attack points and well upgradable.

Hoplite is nice and might be a good choice in a multiplayer game.
Immortal was more useful for me than Legionary. Samurais are nice but come a bit late.
Old February 23, 2002, 17:52   #12
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 13:33
i found the samurai to be more useful than the immortal. its great having a mobile attacking unit thats as good a defender as the best defender of the age the musketman. plus you dont need horses. the good part is they even upgrade to cavalry for some reason.
Old February 23, 2002, 21:04   #13
Invoker
Settler

Local Time: 10:33
I find the panzer to be useful, considering its late debut in the game. I find when I play as a civ with its UU early in the game, i hit a golden age when my empire is smaller than it could be. When I get panzers, not only can I start rolling over my opponents, but if i hit a Golden age then, I can really get the party started.
Old April 19, 2002, 06:34   #14
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 02:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Difficult question to answer. The best way to answer it is to think about when you want to go to war, when you want your Golden Age, etc.

An ancient era UU like the Jag. Warrior, Hoplite or Impi which you can just about get right away starts the golden age too early, as your empire is too small and has little to no infrastructure to take advantage of the GA.

Middle ages UUs are the most useful when you want a GA started. Its about the time of the middle ages when you have enough infrastructure to take full advantage, and get your wonders done quickly.

As for Industrial-modern UUs, the Golden age from them comes too late to make a difference.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson