Old May 24, 2003, 16:06   #91
Mark_Everson

Local Time: 12:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hi Laurent, thanks for the mini-review of GalCiv. So far I've resisted the temptation. I guess I'll wait until I have a substantial amount of time to blow. . . maybe sometime in 2006!

Quote:
Originally posted by LDiCesare
I want AI to be able to attack walls:
AI must be able to switch production to good units. (snip)
Sounds like you're making good progress! Your approach here sounds good to me.

Quote:
Now I have more or less coded the "ask for reinforcement of a given type" order, and it will take existing idle armies and give it to the required command.
Again, your take on it sounds good, certainly at least for now.

Quote:
However, I still don't have the "change econ orders" plan. This is what I will really need now. If you have any suggestions on how to handle this, in particular what this means in terms of various levels of ai, I am interested:
The ai currently works by having units ask for orders to higher order plans, which take decisions when asked. This really means each unit executes its orders until it is over. So the high level ai is actually quite lazy, as it makes some computations in its thread, and gives orders off-handedly when asked by the real-world units. This doesn't work for econ orders, which never ask for anything.
The way I would do it is to give the overall military AI (Assuming you have one) a "BuildTF" Plan. The BuildTF plan would remember the lower-level Plan that requested it. The various BuildTF plans would also need some way to assign priorities so that the most vital units are built first. When the build called for by the plan was completed it would let the initiating plan know, and transfer control of the existing units over to that plan.

I could throw out further specifics, but I want to make sure this is the sort of thing you were looking for first. Please let me know what you want me to make further suggestions about.
Mark_Everson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 19:52   #92
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 18:33
Mark, your answer makes me think of a way to handle it:
Currently, the military spendings are assigned at the beginning by script, can be changed by script. I'll change that into a BuildTF plan as you suggest, and this plan will get input from the taskforces that ask for reinforcements. It should be able to handle variations of the orders while keeping the same overall military budget (except maybe units support cost for a start).
LDiCesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2003, 14:23   #93
LDiCesare
Emperor

I have implemented the BuildUnitsPlan, which doesn't build task forces but only units, but at least it has notions of which proportions of units it wants to create.

I am in the process of writing the "ask for reinforcement" plan.
My question is when should this be called?
I thought first to call it when I realise that an attack plan will fail. The problem is I won't select that attack plan, and decide to use another plan instead. I could ask for reinforcements as a backup plan, the way the "stay here and merge" plan works, but that doesn't seem very clever unless I can estimate success correctly.
So, either I have a higher level plan which says "take this square" and realizes it needs reinforcements, or something else, like allowing an "attack plan" to trigger an "ask for reinforcement" plan when it sees its success is too low. This would lower the success of the plan in case of success but allow it to work... or something else...
The problem with the higher level plan is I have to build the upper layer of orders. Right now, orders are given to task forces, they try to see if they can do them and that's all. I don't think building a catapult to take down a city should require much more strategic thinking.
Opinions welcome, as always.
Old June 27, 2003, 13:40   #94
LDiCesare
Emperor

I'm still coding... If you've tried the latest code/newai, you may notice that in Jericho, the ai is very passive. This is because Jericho ai rates 'wait' order very high and there is little or no randomness in the appraisal of the wait order. I am changing the wait weight in Jericho ai and better handling randomness in the choice of ai decisions in order to give it less fixed (and thus less predictable) behaviour.
Old June 27, 2003, 15:34   #95
Mark_Everson

Hi Laurent:

I haven't tried the new AI in Jericho yet. I put in all those wait orders because they made the old-style AI work better. Clearly with a more sophisticated AI they shouldn't be there anyway. Its good that you are changing the weight of wait
Old July 25, 2003, 14:52   #96
LDiCesare
Emperor

Value of success, armies, squares etc.
I reached a stage where I'm almost calling reinforcements when needed. After several ideas of design, here's what I've come up with, and the list of questions that goes along with it:

When a plan to take a square is not as successful as expected (1) during a simulation, the plan decides that they need reinforcements, compute these (2), will simulate again, check for success, and then see if the success of the plan minus the cost of reinforcements(3) is worth it in order to compute the overall success value of the plan.

(1) Yes, "not as expected" is quite vague. Right now I coded it so it's just "if it failed", like the units couldn't take the square at all. It could be more evolved than that.

(2) Computing reinforcements is based on heuristics. That is not catastrophic because we will run a simulation again after having the reinforcements, but a bad heuristic here may kill the ai. Something random might be in order. More or less, the idea is to ask for (at least) as much power as what the opponent has left at the end of the simulation. So if you had an army of 4 fighting an army of 10 and ended the fight with 0 vs. 8, you'll ask for 8 reinforcements, giving odds of 12 vs. 10, which is short but should win. The heuristics for walls is even worse, as I consider the estimated amount of breaching power needed to breach the wall in half the number of ticks a turn lasts (so the rest of the army wan attack after the wall is breached). This will need testing.

(3)Here come many questions:
What is the cost of a unit in terms of Success objects?
What is the value of a square?
What is the value of a plan with regards to another plan?
Currently, each plan has a value based on the figure given in the militaryai.xml file. This value is multiplied by the success of hte plan, which is usually either 1 (for a plan like 'wait') or 0 if you couldn't take the square and something between 0 and 1 based on the casualties you take. This is fine for comparing plans between themselves.
This is not so fine for comparing plans to the building of units.
A unit has a building cost, including a number of personnel, which can be used to compute its value. In a plan to take out an enemy army, the value of the enemy army is of the same kind, so the success of the plan could be maximum (as read from xml file) if you kill the opponent with no loss, and a fraction of that based on the value of your losses vs. the value of the opponent.
Now for squares, this is even worse, since squares, units and plans each have their own values. Units and plans have costs or success values assigned form a file. Squares have nothing right now.

The value of a square is a function of many things:
- Strategic value (based on map ai);
- Economic value (based on what resources there are);
- Attrition value (better mine than someone else's).

The last one is very subjective and may be ignored. The first one is not going to be implemented soon except that cities and capitals will, arbitrarily, be worth more than regular squares.
So the big question is: What's the economic value of a square, or, how many units can be lost in order to conquer the square? Existing infrastructure, potential infrastructure (sites), and existing population, should all be part of the equation, but I have no idea what the equation even looks like (I can always put the figures in a file, but I'd like to have feedback/ideas about what the variables I should use are, and how they relate to each other).
Old July 26, 2003, 14:13   #97
Mark_Everson

Hi Laurent! Thanks for all the hard work!

Success on 0-1 scale now really bothers me. It seems to me that an absolute scale is much easier to handle. That way you can directly compare winning the war to winning a skirmish, and see that the one is vastly more important than the other. So, as before, I suggest using cash equivalents to evaluate success. I will write my suggestions using that assumption. You are free to re-scale these to a 0-1 scale any way you like if that is the way you prefer to do it.

The cash equivalent approach is summarized in “The AI Plan Object -- Second Draft (Feb 11 2002) “ earlier in this thread.

Value of Military units

For military units the obvious cash equivalent is the resources needed to build the unit. This can come from the Cost object for building the unit. Probably there should also be an effective cost associated with manpower. For now, I guess just pick a value. Maybe make each 1000 manpower = 10 Cost or something like that. The build cost of a unit only enters into the plan success if the unit is lost or reduced in function during plan execution.

In addition to the build cost there should be an opportunity cost associated with each unit. Using a unit in a plan means you’re not using it somewhere else. Something of order 5% of the build cost per turn might be right for this for now. This automatically ensures that two plans that are equal other than in travel distance will have success with the quicker-executed one showing up as better.

Value of a Square

As you say, Strategic and Attrition value can be ignored for now, so I’m going to focus on Economic value here. There are several types of economic value that we might want to give a square. I’ll go through some different choices, and my rough take on how they should be used. You can take my input and tweak it as you would like. There are two main distinctions for econ value: current economic value, and potential future economic value. The starkest case of potential value vs current value is a square with resources, but no people in it. First I’ll focus on currently-occupied squares since that is what I think you are mostly concerned about at this point.

Populated Squares, which already have an economy have two relevant values that are easily gotten in the code. They are the tax base (crudely, what the square is worth to the people themselves), and tax revenues (what the govt. really gets out of the square). Note that both these miss the value due to undeveloped special sites in the square. But special sites are usually exploited fairly early, so this loss doesn’t seem big for now.

This info is obtained with the two following lines of code:

economy.getEconomicInfo(Economy.ESTIMATED_TAX_ REVENUES)
economy.getEconomicInfo(Economy.PRODUCTION_TAX_BAS E)

Where lower case “economy” is the economy of the square, gotten with square.getEconomy() and “Economy” is the Economy class.

On a given turn the value of a square to a civ is something like value = taxes + 0.05 * tax base. The second part with the tax base is a placeholder for non-tax benefits that a civ gets from holding the square, like technological innovation etc.

But the civ should value the square based not on one turn’s value, but the value stream of the square projected into the future. For now we can just pick a multiplier to apply to the one-turn value. Something like 10 or 20x seems about right.

For an unoccupied square one can use
game.economics.settlement.settlementPlan.calculate EconomicHappiness() * population
as roughly equivalent to the tax base. The taxes number would then be the civ’s tax rate * tax base. Why don’t you put in a square.getEconomicValue() function that does the work for an already-existing economy as I outlined above, and just returns 0 if there is no economy. I will then flesh it out to do the unoccupied-square part in the future. Work for you?

Value of one Plan vs Another

Given my discussion above, I think the value of a plan is something like:

Plan Value = Econ value of target (if it is taken) – Mil units lost – Mil opportunity cost

(There are of course more things that need to go in this equation, like destroying enemy units, but I am focusing on the items under discussion right now. Also as discussed in the Plan doc, this should be done using the average of several simulations if the sims aren’t deterministic to get the idea of a range of outcomes.)

If you use the cash-equivalent approach, then you can directly compare two plans’ values. Two plans with value within about 10% of each other are probably roughly equivalent. You can also measure the value of one high-level plan vs another. Lets say we are comparing two overall plans that each use an army composed of 12 units. One overall plan might involve sending four groups of three units each to conquer a number of separate provincial capitals. Another might be to send the whole army to try and take the capital of another civ. We can compare the value of the overall plans by just adding up the values of all the component plans in the two alternatives.

I hope this is most of what you were looking for. Let me know what else you want suggestions on.

-Mark
Old July 26, 2003, 18:31   #98
LDiCesare
Emperor

Thanks a lot, Mark. I'll probably put the getEconomicValue() into Square.
To clarify, the 0-1 range I use is the "success" measure, which is then multiplied by the "value" of the plan. Currently, plan value is read from file, and success depends on whether objective is reached or not, and casualties taken. With a more cash-based approach, the evaluation would be different, since value wouldn't be arbitrary (except for plans like wait).

One thing which may not have been clear in what I said:
Up to now, plans were suppsoed to work at constant resources, so you'd compare plans with various existing resources. What I am doing is making a plan that asks for building a new type of units (siege engines) when none exist. If the plan requires the building of new units in order to succeed, its value will be: (averaged over simualtions) value of square (if conquered) - lost mil units cost - existing mil units opportunity cost - mil units which have to be built cost.

I think the Square value will be very important, in particular in order to assess the value of defending a square, or sending scouts/sentries.

Note I'll always modify (muliply) the value of a plan by a factor depending on the ai type (aggressive, stonewall, random, etc.) so all ai's don't act the same.
Old July 27, 2003, 08:54   #99
Mark_Everson

Hi Laurent:

Your approach sounds decent overall. I think you will soon need to move to something like a cash-based approach. Your current method, unless I misunderstand, rates a basically worthless square the same as one with a thriving economy that is very valuable. That lack of assymetry will make the AI do weird undesirable things IMO. But I can see why you wanted to keep things simple just to get the AI up.

I can't wait to play your new version!
Old July 27, 2003, 09:18   #100
LDiCesare
Emperor

Quote:
I can't wait to play your new version!
You'll have to. I'm not finished for a while... You don't start realizing how dumb a computer is until you start coding an artificial intelligence:

(Me) You need catapults to take down the walls, and then some armies to take out the garrison.
(Computer) How can I know they take down the wall or take the garrison?
(Me) Well, here's a nice heuristics which tells you how much breaching power you need and how much attack strength, defense etc.
(Computer) Wow, great! I love those figures. How do I find out which units I need, now?
(Me, starting to despair) Well, you just check the figures, find the unit that best fits the profile...
(Computer) Yes, I can do that!
(Me) Sure, I already coded you to. Then you subtract the attack strength and all that and see how much you still need.
(Computer) Great. So if I haven't got any unit that can breach the walls, I cycle endlessly hoping one is created ex nihilo?
(Me) No, just send an exception, catch it up and tell the plan that the cost is infinite.
(Computer) Great! So now I know how much the units cost, and even have an idea what they are. I can decide whether to create them or not. When do I create them?
(Me) I have to reexplain you how to ask for reinforcements, because last time I told you how to fetch a unit and now I am asking you how to fetch a task force.
(Computer) Gee! I'm eager. How do I do that?
(Me) Wait a bit, I must compile you first.
(Computer) Great. I just don't understand why you put a ":" there, I expected a ";", but that doesn't matter much. You didn't tell me how units in reserve will behave or how all those nice new things will affect my current behaviour, like merging existing task forces...
(Me) Argghh... Not yet, wait a bit. Merging should be OK, you inherit the evaluation function from TakeSquare anyway so the multiplier for the econ value of the square is in already.
(Computer) Yes, but what about units which wait or are in reserve so they can be sent to merge? And how do I decide to send reserves there and build new units here? And how should I evaluate the cost of the plan if it gets resources from reserves versus if they are jsut built? And could you please explain me why you wrote "return result" in that void method?
(Me) ... (corrects the last compilation error)
(Computer) Oh, by the way, how will I tell the newly created units that they belong to that plan? You'll just add them to it? But will they stay where they are while others are created or join the other units? And what will be the meeting point? I thought I heard someone talk about a thing called "escort", do I need to know what that means right now?
(Me) (switches to apolyton forums).

Last edited by LDiCesare; July 27, 2003 at 09:29.
Old July 27, 2003, 11:32   #101
Mark_Everson

LOL!

Yep, AI can be a real hassle. But the rewards will be enormous when you're done. Remember in the AI for a lot of games the comp asks all those questions of the programmer who then says "ignore that, I'm on deadline".

Don't worry, I won't be sitting, looking at my watch, waiting for your AI! But it had better be soon.
Old August 1, 2003, 14:40   #102
LDiCesare
Emperor

Right now I have to create a new Command, which I use to create rally points:
If a task force needs reinforcements, it will create a MergeCommand on top of itself into which all reinforcements will be sent. When they all reach the same square, they'll all be merged into the initial taskforce again...
Old August 10, 2003, 15:15   #103
Mark_Everson

Hi Laurent:

Thanks for the details on how you're going to do it. They make sense. I assume no update this weekend means you have too much RL. I hope it was the fun kind of RL rather than the other!

-Mark
Old August 13, 2003, 16:43   #104
LDiCesare
Emperor

It was the really bad kind of RL... (my wife was ill, then I had left my computer in Paris and couldn't take it back home until today when she was better, and now I got that worm which kept rebooting the PC, it took me two hours to get rid of). The whole thing under a moist 37 Celsius degrees (100 F) in the coolest places. The good news is I'm on holidays (though my wife is not, which means I'll stay home with the kids, so I my have some time to program while they kill err.. play with each other)

Anyway, I did some progress last week, maybe will be able to get a few things done this and next week:
Mostly, I made a test scenario in which the player stands idle not doing anything while th pitiful ai plans an attack. While still not great, the scenario proves the ai is better than before: It won't move before it has a sizeable enough army. It may sometimes move too early, but instead of moving ten units one by one towards its target and then leaving them there waiting for them to decide to merge or leave to attack another place, the ai now groups its units together before moving them to a plae it knows it can take.
The ai also knows when it wants reinforcements, and what kind, but I'm not yet up to it building the units (or putting them where it knows it can use them).

I got rid of the threads part for the moment, because that ate too many resources and I mostly did it wrong. I'll have to redo it later when it works when everything is in the same thread.

Here is how I used to do the simulations: Run them independently of the turn the player was in. This didn't work well because I kept simulations of a fight 3 turns ago with more current ones, when both attacker and defender had changed. I now reset all simulations at the start of every turn, and reassess everything. This works fine, but I'll need something better when I tackle mid and long-term plans.
I hope I'll be able to send you the code either this week end or sometimes next week. I'm not sure I'll be able to, but I'll try.
Old August 15, 2003, 09:58   #105
Mark_Everson

Hi Laurent, good to hear from you! I had some RL of my own. . . I was caught in the big blackout in the States! Fortunately we were only out of power for 16 hours, and didn't lose water. I think all the food in the freezers is fine, although some of the ice cream got very soft. Another 8 hours or so, and I would have had to throw out everything. Fortunately we were in the first 10% of the Detroit Metro area to get our power back. That was a lucky break, since it may be most of the way through the weekend before most everyone has power back.

My sympathies on your wife's illness and the temperatures. Hopefully the kids won't annhialate each other .

Quote:
Anyway, I did some progress last week, maybe will be able to get a few things done this and next week:
Mostly, I made a test scenario in which the player stands idle not doing anything while th pitiful ai plans an attack. While still not great, the scenario proves the ai is better than before: It won't move before it has a sizeable enough army. It may sometimes move too early, but instead of moving ten units one by one towards its target and then leaving them there waiting for them to decide to merge or leave to attack another place, the ai now groups its units together before moving them to a plae it knows it can take.
The ai also knows when it wants reinforcements, and what kind, but I'm not yet up to it building the units (or putting them where it knows it can use them).
That sounds really good. You need to remember that to make a really good non-cheating AI is an Extremely time-consuming task. It seems what you have is already a very substantial improvement. It will really help with all the scenarios when you think it is ready to be used on a routine basis.

BTW, I just heard from Richard, and he expects to have time to work on scenarios in the near future. For that reason when you get to something that is useable, it might be a good idea for us to release it to Richard as a Testbed version. I'll rely on your judgement as to when its ready, and will certainly want to play, er, I mean test it too!

Quote:
I hope I'll be able to send you the code either this week end or sometimes next week. I'm not sure I'll be able to, but I'll try.
Sounds great, good work.
Old August 15, 2003, 14:10   #106
LDiCesare
Emperor

Mark, any idea how I can check the ai build orders? I made it so that the ai gives some build orders, but I want to check if that works. The econ.txt file gives a lot of output, but mostly for player civ. Or where should I put a trace in the econ code to check the ai got the orders correctly?
I just want to get some reinforcement code to work before I send the code. This will probably not allow to breach walls yet, but there is a figure in the xml files to tweak the quantity of breachers and attackers the ai thinks they need, so it might be tunable (when I'm sure ai reinforcements work).
Old August 15, 2003, 16:52   #107
Mark_Everson

Quote:
Mark, any idea how I can check the ai build orders? I made it so that the ai gives some build orders, but I want to check if that works.
Hi Laurent:

The orders for each Economy object are in a Map that is held in the class GovtEconOrders. You get it by calling econ.getGovtEconOrders(). First you need to get econ from either the square, province or civ object to which you sent the order, but you should already have that. In case you haven't discovered it already, most of the stuff you will need is in the game.economics.orders package.

Once you have the GovtEconOrders object you can call getGovtEconOrder(String name), which returns null if the order name doesn't exist there. If it exists it returns the GovtEconOrder object that is the individual order. It may be that all you need is to verify the order exists where you think you put it! However, if you need more specifics on the order that is there, you can use a large number of public methods in GovtEconOrder to find out details about the order, if you want to go that far.

Note that any economy that has had the econ interface called up for it will have one of every type of order there already. Most of them will be '0%' build orders that do nothing. It was done that way to make the interface have a copy of each order that could be shown in the gui. I am just warning you about this since its possible you could use the interface to verify some orders, and get mislead about whether you have created an order or not. For these dud orders, calling getPartOfLocalTaxesToUse() will always return 0. You can use that as a crude discriminator of whether you put the order there, or the interface did.

I hope this is the info you need. As always, if you need more, just let me know.
Old August 16, 2003, 02:36   #108
LDiCesare
Emperor

I sent the code

Here's what the ai now does (requires -newai on command line to run):

It simulates fights before it sends units away, not just when it is by the target square.
Although this is much better, you probably won't see the results of it because the ai doesn't cheat and so it doesn't see your units, unless the map is revealed. If it knows one of your cities is defended, it will do some computation before going kamikaze.

When it can help, the ai will change build orders to get some reinforcements. The reinforcements should come from a reserve plan, but that's not yet implemented. The ai does change build orders, however. It adds one build order for a given unit type each time it wants reinforcements. This will eventually have to change, as in a long game, its build list will grow huge for little gain, but in the meantime it works. The ai chooses one unit, which best looks like the average of what the opponent has, and, if it targets walls, has breaching power.
The exact algorithm for reinforcements is to bring back the same quantity/quality of troops as what the opponent had in the square at the end of a simulated lost fight. This figure is multiplied by a constant (10 by default) if the opponent is behind a wall, and catapults (or other units that can breach walls) are required to breach the wall too. The quantity in case of walls needs tuning.

There are two things which could vastly help the ai:
- Getting the reserve plan to work;
so the ai will build new units and assign them to this plan. If I can remember the profile of armies I put in the plan, I can remove them when they are no longer needed. I'd have to be able to know that a unit has been produced because of a given order for that, which means I'd like to have two build orders, one Legion and one Reserve Legion. I'm not yet sure how to handle that. I also need to be able to build more than one type of unit as reinforcements.

- Seeing enemy units;
Of course, I could cheat, but I don't want to. I'd also like to remove the knowledge of other cities locations which is still in the code. In order to be able to see enemy units far away, we need espionage/scouting. I'll check if I can unearth a thread related to that topic. If someone else finds one, they're welcome to bump it.
Old August 16, 2003, 08:24   #109
Mark_Everson

Quote:
- Seeing enemy units;
Of course, I could cheat, but I don't want to. I'd also like to remove the knowledge of other cities locations which is still in the code. In order to be able to see enemy units far away, we need espionage/scouting. I'll check if I can unearth a thread related to that topic. If someone else finds one, they're welcome to bump it.
Hi Laurent:

I got the code, although I haven't opened it yet. I'm dying to try it out! Unfortunately I am very busy today, so I may not have time for much more than this post. Then again I may be back before long!

Can the AI see the units just as the player does? I think that is what you are saying, but I just wanted to be sure. I agree that we should keep the standard as a non-cheating AI, since we want to emphasize how different the Clash AI is from all the other games. However it might be worthwhile to put in an -AIcheat flag or some such so that the player can, at their discretion Allow the AI to see everything. What do you think? Is there a huge amount of added work involved? It could also be useful in that it would allow you to see how your AI does with perfect info.
Old August 16, 2003, 16:37   #110
LDiCesare
Emperor

Quote:
Can the AI see the units just as the player does? I think that is what you are saying, but I just wanted to be sure.
Exactly.
You can see how the ai works with full info by removing the fog of war altogether. I did it in the scenario I added (check the list of scenarios, the last one is called 'reinforcement test', and is just that). So you don't really need a hard coded flag.

I'd like to have some spying set up so that both players and ai can see through the fog of war somehow. I think it would be nice for the ai and player both, and that is something which is not well done in any game that I know.
Old August 20, 2003, 05:26   #111
LDiCesare
Emperor

Currently, the ai manages single objectives (attack square X or square Y), but we'll need to have more complex plans, like (attack and defend). Any idea of the value of defending a square?
Defending is worth the square value times the probability of an attack if the square was not guarded? What defense should be put and how much?
Any better ideas?
Old August 23, 2003, 05:26   #112
LDiCesare
Emperor

I think here's how to handle defense vs. offense:
Currently I have only implemented low level ai (task force level). Each task force uses the same attitude, which means they'll all attack or all defend...
It will be better to implement defense by adding a layer of ai on top of the task forces, so that each task force is attached to a higher level plan, each plan considering it needs a gicen proportion of the existing armies (or something more complex) to be successful: Typically, an attack plan and a defense plan.
This way, I can leave the code that handles task forces as is, and provide a beginning of a higher level thinking.
I'm not yet there, though, but at least, I can safely postpone the problem.
Old August 23, 2003, 11:09   #113
Mark_Everson

Hi Laurent, I think that sounds good for now. I have to admit that I had been thinking about the problem, but hadn't come up with any particulary good near-term solutions.

Certainly you can start with static offensive and defensive apportionment of forces as a percentage of the total. Probably a bit more quality can be gained fairly easily by having that proportion be a simple function of relative combat strengths of the different civs involved. That will have to wait until you have some simple spying or other info-gathering functions implemented.

One thing I did way back in Demos 3 and 4 was to have code that determined what the overall military posture should be based on forces available (it knew total forces of all the combattants, but not where they were) and the relative diplomatic statuses of the civs. When you get further along, we could bring something like that back.
Old August 23, 2003, 11:34   #114
LDiCesare
Emperor

Quote:
One thing I did way back in Demos 3 and 4 was to have code that determined what the overall military posture should be based on forces available (it knew total forces of all the combattants, but not where they were) and the relative diplomatic statuses of the civs. When you get further along, we could bring something like that back.
That's the way they do it in Galciv.
It's prone to many abuses, like building lots of cheap units which aren't handled correctly in terms of power (many poor units won't beat one good unit with a lesser total strength in that game - probably too in Clash though to a lesser degree), and diplomatic statuses weren't ascertained correctly either (ai would go to war with a weakling even though said weakling had a very powerful ally).
That said, I may go for it, but I'd like to get some spying in place before.

On the code front, I'm in the process of refactoring the whole reinforcement code so that the units built to provide reinforcement will be better fit to the task (type of unit updated every turn based on what has already been sent), and so I won't clutter the economics with hundreds of obsolete reinforcement build orders.
I'm still struggling with reserve units. I may go the rich way, i.e. have no reserve but always build reinforcements when I need some, or consider that units which have the same goal as my current unit are good candidates for a merge (typically if I have surrounded a city with 2 TFs, they might want to merge together and take the city rather than ask independently for reinforcements or change objective).
Old August 23, 2003, 15:35   #115
Mark_Everson

I think your approach is good Laurent.

I have finally had the time to check out last week's version of the AI. You have achieved a lot! All I have done so far is check out the Carthage scenario playing Rome. If I do nothing as Rome the AI functions basically competently until it gets down near Rome. The Hannibal TF of course can't take Rome without reinforcements that can handle the walls. I played until turn 40 and the AI was still calling for reinforcements that were streaming as single units all the way from the Carthaginian homeland. I have several suggestions for things that might improve the AI, although I don't know how difficult they would be to implement. I am just going to go through my suggestions here, and you can evaluate how good they are, and how difficult they would be to implement given where you are now. It is possible that the AI could also perform much better just by changing the parameter files. I haven't tried to do that yet.

1. This is somewhat of an aside, but I thought I would mention it before I forget. In the wave of conquest that spreads across southern France and northern Italy, a few squares get left behind, still in control of the Romans. Since the squares are generally ungarrisoned and would be trivial to take, something in the AI that makes that happen would be valuable. One quick suggestion that I have is to make the value of a square increase if it is held by the enemy but adjacent to friendly squares. Something like a simple small addition to its value per friendly square adjacent might be the right combination. That would mean that an isolated unfriendly square would tend to become a much more desirable target, even if economically worthless, and be taken over fairly quickly.

2. It is very undesirable that Hannibal camps outside Rome for 30 turns when the entire southern part of Italy is open for the taking! I left the two cities adjacent to Rome completely stripped of troops, and Hannibal would not so much as move the single square necessary to take them. I know this is due to the current simple nature of the AI, but an uncomplicated fix might be able to handle it at least for the short term. One idea is that an attack plan should calculate the time needed for the required reinforcements to be built and get there. As this time increases there should be an increasing chance that that plan will be scrapped and replaced with some other objectives that can be achieved in a shorter timescale. For one thing, by the time the reinforcements get there the enemy may also have reinforced, leading to a way to essentially deadlocked the the capabilities of the AI fairly cheaply with a wall city used as bait.

As for how smart planning of this sort can be done well, while still sending the reinforcements for the long-term plan of capturing Rome, I don't know. I think as the scenario is currently set up, it should work somewhat like the real war in that Hannibal should be able to take over much of the Italian peninsula aside from Rome fairly easily. If the AI can accomplish that, you will have achieved a lot!

3. The way that reinforcements go where they are needed is also undesirable. The first problem is that all these individual units moving over the map Really slow down the game. It took many seconds to crank a turn on my fairly new computer. Secondly, they are tactically vulnerable to fairly small forces if they move as single units. For both these reasons I think that some way to group reinforcing units into reasonably-sized TF's needs to come fairly soon. Obviously the amount of groupings importance increases as the distance traveled increases. For now, using major cities that are not too far off the optimal march path as waypoints might be practical. I don't know...

Sorry to hit you with so many requests! You may even have had some of these in mind for the near future, so I don't want to belabor them. Let me know if you want to discuss these further, or have me think about refinements. Otherwise I will just leave you on your personal track of developing the AI, which has been very successful so far! I certainly don't want to slow down the overall progress on the AI by too much fine-tuning at this stage. On the other hand, it would certainly be good to get a reasonably playable AI out there in a demo fairly soon.

Thanks for all the hard work, and I think fairly soon we will be able to claim your AI as a significant further Fun factor in Clash!
Old August 24, 2003, 04:04   #116
LDiCesare
Emperor

Quote:
Since the squares are generally ungarrisoned and would be trivial to take, something in the AI that makes that happen would be valuable. One quick suggestion that I have is to make the value of a square increase if it is held by the enemy but adjacent to friendly squares. Something like a simple small addition to its value per friendly square adjacent might be the right combination.
I agree in principle, but I think such a method would cause the ai to work in circles around its own territory and the player currently doing this finds it cumbersome. It would probably be better if neither the ai nor the player had to mop up the squares, like for example, changing the whole province ownership when the province capital is taken (except where troops remain)?

Quote:
2. It is very undesirable that Hannibal camps outside Rome for 30 turns when the entire southern part of Italy is open for the taking!
Yes. Right now, I'm even worse off with my current iteration of the code . I will try to do something like requesting reinforcements, and then choosing another plan on later turns (i.e. I will not accept plans that require reinforcements if I am already awaiting some). The problem will be to decide of a meeting point between the reinforcements and the to-be-reinforced task force.

Quote:
3. The way that reinforcements go where they are needed is also undesirable. The first problem is that all these individual units moving over the map Really slow down the game. It took many seconds to crank a turn on my fairly new computer. Secondly, they are tactically vulnerable to fairly small forces if they move as single units.
I agree. One thing which can make things better is that currently the task force keeps asking for reinforcements until they reach it. This bogs down the economics and the ai, pathfinding, etc.
So I'm working on having the reinforcements known to the task force (currently they are known only by the plan), so the task force won't ask for the same thing over and over again. Then I must find a way to group the reinforcements before sending them, and find a meeting point. I have no idea how to do that right now. Using waypoints sounds like a good idea, but the AI would have to know the map well enough to do that, and that is not currently the case (it's more than pathfinding, it's finding the nearest city on the path to a moving unit - arg...).
Old August 24, 2003, 10:15   #117
Mark_Everson

Quote:
It would probably be better if neither the ai nor the player had to mop up the squares, like for example, changing the whole province ownership when the province capital is taken (except where troops remain)?
I agree, your suggestion is better overall. I had forgotten the discussions we had on this previously. Unfortunately it doesn't help with the Carthage scenario at all since many of the squares I was talking about are in Italy, and Rome is never taken. I'll think about what rules we might be able to use to streamline conquest.
Old August 24, 2003, 12:36   #118
LDiCesare
Emperor

Quote:
I was talking about are in Italy, and Rome is never taken.
I thought about Gaul.
For Italy, if the ai decides to do somethign when it is looking for reinforcements, I think it should fix the problem.
Old August 26, 2003, 07:18   #119
LDiCesare
Emperor

Status
Here is the current status of the ai, after looking at your observations:

-The ai doesn't perform well in part because it doesn't know your units. If you play Delenda with fog of war off, you should see a different game.
This means I want some spying. I checked the models, and there is no spying model per se, only an allusion to it in the diplomacy model.
I can't search the forums right now to unearth a thread with the corresponding info, but I couldn't find any recent one. The best I found was the diplomatic UI thread, but after looking at the code vovan did, there is nothing to manage spying and very little UI coded.

-The ai takes a lot of time to compute moves when there are many task forces.
I cut down the number of simulations run (this can now be set in xml files, by setting the confidence of one simulation - I used 0.1 which means 10 simulations were run, and got up to 0.4 which means I'll need only 3).
Still, there are several things which can be done to avoid the slow down, which is indeed unbearable in Delenda:
Reduce time taken to wage/simulate a fight. This can be changed by simplifying the military combat model. While this could be done, I'm not keen on rewriting it. I can reduce the number of ticks taken by the simulation, too, to maybe 2 or 3 turns (configurable), which would divide the time by 3 or 5.
Reduce the number of lone task forces. Providing the task forces incentive to merge together when for example they are in the same square and have the same goal.

-Units move about one by one.
This problem is also to be addressed by mergeing the units together more often.

-The ai reinforcement build is not working very well in Delenda. I still have to see Carthage build catapults. I've to investigate more.

-Square values require the economics to provide some figures. I ran into null pointers when there is no publicSector in a given square. I consider that these null pointers mean there is no infrastructure so the value is 0, but hope that this will not cause any problem.

Last edited by LDiCesare; August 26, 2003 at 09:23.
Old August 29, 2003, 16:34   #120
LDiCesare
Emperor

Status
I have corrected some bugs in the map vision of the ai, so the ai now behaves better, though there's a bug there for the player (sometimes it takes 1 turn to uncover fog of war).
It currently takes about 100ms. on my computer to process new orders for one task force, and there are about 8 simulations which means each task force requires about 1 second to process. This means 1 second per ai task force... Way too long. The good use of threads would take care of nine tenths of this, but not on turns when the player immediately presses end turn.
I still can't see catapults built by Carthage.

Ill try to investigate about the time spent on orders, and the number of taskforces (though this number is lowered now because reinforcemetns work better).
I think it should be possible not to evaluate plans whose maximum value is lower than the currently most successful. This could allow to evaluate only 1 or 2 plans instead of 8 msot of the time.

Reinforcements use a poor algorihtm to reach their target: The target of the reinforcements can now move instead of staying stuck where it was. But the reinforcements go where the task force they want to help was when they were given the order. If they reach the square and the task force left, they will follow it. This means they may never merge, or may cross one another without merging. I increased the probability of staying in one place when asking for reinforcements, but that is probably not enough.