Old November 11, 2001, 15:25   #1
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 16:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
War weariness question
War weariness has stopped my crushing of the french and the Egyptians. Damn. And they started the war! the French landed on my continent and I asked Joan to leave or declare war. She chose war. And I had NO horses. I had to kiss Caesar's ass to get some horses for cavalry as Cleopatra jumped in and declared war too. Luckily I had a mutual protection pact with my neighbors in China. Mao held off the Egyptians long enough for me to build a lot of cav and artillery and take out four of her cities. I managed to invade France and take a city but just as I built modern transports and loaded them up to smash the frogs coastal cities war weariness crept in. Half of my empire is in turmoil so I had to make peace with the french. I thought that would help long enough for me to at least take one more egyptian city, but no dice. So I made peace with them too. (the foreign advisor tells me that "Cleopatra is a known liar and a cheat" so I expect this peace will not last long.) Well, the war was a long one....My question is this...now that I'm at peace will my citizens calm down or do I have to make a lot of entertainers and raise the luxury rate?

FYI: I'm playing the greeks, huge map, warlord level.
Old November 11, 2001, 19:56   #2
Wolfshanze
PolyCast Team
Warlord

Local Time: 10:33
Damn Republics
Same thing is happening with me. I'm the Germans, and I have a two-front war with the French on one side, and the Romans on the other....

I've been at war so long with these losers, that my people are practically in revolt... it sucks too, especially when I'm winning the war!

Now that I'm winning, people want to quit! My Germans aren't worth my great military leardership!

I haven't reached the Fascist government on the tech tree yet, so that's not an option... it's either make peace, or switch to a Monarchy.

I hate the senate!
Old November 11, 2001, 20:22   #3
squid
Warlord

Wolf rambled onto the wrong forum, methinks
Old November 12, 2001, 11:18   #4
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 11:33
Although war weariness appears much less scientific than in Civ2 (where units outside of cities = war weariness), so far it is working well for me in this game.

I was a Republic and French. I captured a city, the Germans captures a city, both off continent. My people were ok. Next turn, those sneaky Germans attacked and captured a city on the main continent. ALL my cities went into revolt (each got an additional unhappy face). I set my luxuries higher, recaptured the city, and then set my luxuries back down and everything was ok. So, to me it was very realistic. As soon as I lost a city on the mainland everything went to pot, but before it was stable.
Old November 12, 2001, 12:37   #5
Wolfshanze
PolyCast Team
Warlord

I actually like it
Actually, I think the "War Weariness" of Civ3, though difficult to put a finger on, is much better handled than Civ1 or Civ2.

Of course, it makes me want to develop Fascism that much quicker!
Old November 12, 2001, 12:57   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:33
Actually, I think the "War Weariness" of Civ3, though difficult to put a finger on, is much better handled than Civ1 or Civ2.

Of course, it makes me want to develop Fascism that much quicker!
?????????? ????????
are you playing civ2
Old November 12, 2001, 15:55   #7
Wolfshanze
PolyCast Team
Warlord

Civ3 Fascist Patch
Nope... I'm playing Civ3... and indeed, it does make me want to develop Fascism quicker!

If you'd like to develop Fascism in Civ3, then try the Civ3 Fascist Patch at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...r/homepage.htm
Old November 12, 2001, 16:23   #8
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Not having civ3, I was wondering if during a war the defender who is attacked first gains happiness at the beggining of the war in the same way the attacker is supposed to?
(Soren Johnson himself said during a war first theres more happiness, then it goes down steadily)

The civ2 unhappiness with units even during peacetime was rubbish, this should be better (though i hope we can still 'kick arse' in wars).
Old November 12, 2001, 16:36   #9
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 11:33
Actually in my most recent game, war weariness, while an annoyance, isn't really a problem.

I'm playing a regent game, 7 opponents, standard map.

I'm in the modern age, as a democracy, and I've fought several wars. The key is naturally to keep them short. My war weariness seems to become a problem around 18 turns or so, just before my alliances run out anyway. I ussually jack up luxuries enoguh to tide me over, and then when my alliances come due, i call for peace.

The only problem with this, is when the enemy won't make peace. Which is damn annoying when you can't even find them.
Old November 12, 2001, 16:50   #10
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

The better way to do it is like in my new game i'm making, where unhappiness only occurs when one of your units loses a battle or takes high casualties.
Even when technically at war, if no battles are happening and the enemies the other side of the world your people won't be worried about it - in real life.

email peter@artpac.demon.co.uk for more info or to help with my game Mantra.