Old November 11, 2001, 17:26   #1
z0dd
Settler

Local Time: 16:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3 + WinXP = horrible?
I recently went from Win2k to XP, after a format of my boot partition. Civ3 now runs like dirt!!! The difference is unbelievable. Actually, it's now unplayable IMO. Ir went from fast and smooth to slow and unresponsive. It seems like the gfx aren't being rendered quickly anymore.

I have a monster rig:
P4 1.7
384 RAM
GF3 (using 21.83 official drivers)
SB Live
All latest non-beta drivers

I consider myself extremely knowledgable about tweaking and configuring systems. I noticed improvments in other games, but Civ3 is horrifying slow. Map redraw is terrible and input response is 10x slower.

Anyone have any ideas? So far, I'm not thrilled with XP and I'll most likely go to Win98SE soon.
Old November 11, 2001, 17:31   #2
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

I've seen on these forums references to the latest drivers for the nVidia cards causing slowdown problems. You could try back-dating your drivers, either to the ones that came with the card or to the WinXP ones if the ones you have are indeed the latest. I have a GeForce 2 and for this reason am not updating drivers atm. I believe nVidia is working on an update to fix this issue.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old November 11, 2001, 17:32   #3
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 11:34
Re: Civ3 + WinXP = horrible?
Quote:
Originally posted by z0dd
I recently went from Win2k to XP, after a format of my boot partition. Civ3 now runs like dirt!!! The difference is unbelievable. Actually, it's now unplayable IMO. Ir went from fast and smooth to slow and unresponsive. It seems like the gfx aren't being rendered quickly anymore.

I have a monster rig:
P4 1.7
384 RAM
GF3 (using 21.83 official drivers)
SB Live
All latest non-beta drivers

I consider myself extremely knowledgable about tweaking and configuring systems. I noticed improvments in other games, but Civ3 is horrifying slow. Map redraw is terrible and input response is 10x slower.

Anyone have any ideas? So far, I'm not thrilled with XP and I'll most likely go to Win98SE soon.
Roll back your detonator drivers. This is a known problem with nVidia cards running under 2000 or XP with the latest Detonator installed.

Dan
Old November 11, 2001, 17:42   #4
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Yay! I posted an identical solution to Dan's one minute earlier! I'm so happy
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old November 11, 2001, 19:42   #5
facistdictator
Chieftain

Dont understand that, ive got a pentium 4 1.5 gig 384 megs of ram and a geforce 2 and my game flies with tremendous speed and no slowdown. Is your computer have a pentium processer or some cheap parts, that may be the problem. Only use intel and microsoft stuff trust me.
"How must the man be constituted who will lead Germany back to her old heights?" The man, should be a dictator not averse to the use of slogans, street parades and demagoguery. He must be a man of the people yet have nothing in common with the mass. Like every great man, he must be "all personality," and one who"does not shrink from bloodshed. Great questions are always decided by blood and iron." To reach his goal, he must be prepared "to trample on his closest friends," dispense law "with terrible hardness" and deal with people and nations "with cautious and sensitive fingers" or if need be "trample on them with the boots of a grenadier." ---Rudolf Hess
Old November 11, 2001, 19:43   #6
facistdictator
Chieftain

Im using win xp too sorry forgot to post that.
"How must the man be constituted who will lead Germany back to her old heights?" The man, should be a dictator not averse to the use of slogans, street parades and demagoguery. He must be a man of the people yet have nothing in common with the mass. Like every great man, he must be "all personality," and one who"does not shrink from bloodshed. Great questions are always decided by blood and iron." To reach his goal, he must be prepared "to trample on his closest friends," dispense law "with terrible hardness" and deal with people and nations "with cautious and sensitive fingers" or if need be "trample on them with the boots of a grenadier." ---Rudolf Hess
Old November 11, 2001, 20:22   #7
squid
Warlord

Win2k is fairly solid and stripped down. It is an engine to run programs. XP is home user bloatware. You should have known better, my friend!
Old November 11, 2001, 20:30   #8
Wolfshanze
PolyCast Team
Warlord

Local Time: 10:34
If it ain't broke...
Hmmm... maybe that's why I fear change...

I have Win98SE, and you can take it from me when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

I have tried WinMe, Win2K, WinXP... each time I try a new OS, I find out it has compatability problem this, driver problem that...

Each time I go back to the "problem free" Win98SE... then I start chuckling to myself everytime I hear someone has a problem with Win2K, WinMe, or WinXP.

Every game, every driver I've ever used has had no problem with Win98SE... sure, it crashes every so often, but heck, I NEVER have compatability problems with ANY game.

I'm primarily a gamer, so compatability is my thing... despite promises of the moon, no Operating System since Win98SE has been as compatable as Bill Gates has promised, and YES THAT INCLUDES XP (Maddona's song doesn't convince me it's better either).

Okay, so I'm rambling nothing very meaningful... maybe I'm like that stone-age guy who says "I fear pants... I will continue wearing bushes".
Old November 12, 2001, 14:51   #9
z0dd
Settler

What version of the det drivers are you guys using in XP to make Civ3 smooth? Number please.

I'm using 21.83 now and it's VERY slow.
Old November 12, 2001, 14:56   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by squid
Win2k is fairly solid and stripped down. It is an engine to run programs. XP is home user bloatware. You should have known better, my friend!
Just so you know, chief, the problem also happens in Windows 2000.
It's Nvidia's latest NT drivers that have the problem, it's not XP's fault.

Take your propaganda elsewhere.
Old November 12, 2001, 14:57   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by z0dd
What version of the det drivers are you guys using in XP to make Civ3 smooth? Number please.

I'm using 21.83 now and it's VERY slow.
Use the ones on the Windows XP CD.
I'm using 12.41, works perfectly fine.
I had 21.83 on my GeForce 3 and it ran like crap, and it's fine now with the 12.41s.