Old December 23, 2000, 16:32   #1
lamber111
Settler

Local Time: 00:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Force Alliances???
Does anyone know if it is possible to force computer controlled civ's to Ally and attack a common enemy? I'm trying to create a historical scenario and this would be EXTREMELY helpful in simulating certain wars.
Thanks
Old December 23, 2000, 19:35   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:12
You can force the AI to make alliances via the cheat menu, and use the events file to force AI's to go to war against each other, but I don't think that events can be used to form alliances.

You may have some luck using the Eifiel Tower wonder to make nations get on better (eg the Soviet Union being able to build a renamed Eifiel tower following the German invasion in order to simulate the imporovment in relations between the USSR and the West)

Merry Christmas

------------------
If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error
-John Kenneth Galbraith
Old December 27, 2000, 12:47   #3
Fanatic
Settler

One method I have used is to start the civilizations already allied (cheat menu) and then create events preventing them from talking to each other, which will prevent them from breaking the alliance. Unfortunately it also prevents them from exchanging techs. Hope this is of some use.
Old December 28, 2000, 01:46   #4
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 18:12
Local Date: October 30, 2010
You could use an event to give that tech that was just researched to the ally.

------------------
Save the whales, collect the whole set!!

If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith
Old December 28, 2000, 18:48   #5
lamber111
Settler

Yeah, not letting them talk might be helpful. Although the scenario is a middle east scenario, where the Arabs nations are currently allied in an effort to destroy Israel, but as history shows they aren't always that friendly towards each other except when fighting Israel, so I wanted them to be able to fight each other too.
I could force war among the 6 Arab nations upon Jerusalem being captured or something, but then they'd never be able to make peace if I didn't allow negotiations...

And techs aren't really that inportant since I've tried to maintain a slight technological advantage for Israel to give them a fighting chance...
[This message has been edited by lamber111 (edited December 28, 2000).]
Old December 30, 2000, 12:27   #6
Thoth
King

Local Time: 20:12
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by lamber111 on 12-28-2000 05:48 PM
Yeah, not letting them talk might be helpful. Although the scenario is a middle east scenario, where the Arabs nations are currently allied in an effort to destroy Israel, but as history shows they aren't always that friendly towards each other except when fighting Israel, so I wanted them to be able to fight each other too.

If you're using TOT you might try using the "modify reputation" action in the Events file. Use flags to keep track of the state of war/peace between Israel and the Arab states. Whenever there is peace between Isreal and the Arab powers, modify the Arabs opinions' of each other downwards drastically. When Isreal is involved in a war, increase the Arab's liking for each other.

I haven't tried this, and it likely isn't 100%, but it may be worth a try.