Old December 21, 2000, 18:04   #1
SunTzu
Prince

Local Time: 00:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ2 City Limit Project!!!!
My friend John Valdez(a great programmer who creates mod-packs and other utilities) He is going to tackle the hard City Limit. And he wants to best civ2 programmers to collaborate with him to break the code and fix the city limit.
Anyone who is interested, contact John Valdez at jvaldeztoo@yahoo.com
Old December 21, 2000, 19:06   #2
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:12
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Well, the city limit IS annoying. Especially with the new giga-maps now available. What about the number of players? For us scenario-types, 7 players is far too few. I think most of us would like to see, oh, I dunno, maybe another 20 or so. That would be nice.

Just asking,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
"a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
"or a very good liar." --Stefu
Old December 21, 2000, 20:54   #3
SunTzu
Prince

Well John Valdez is working on a new mod-pack called well i don't think he wants me to tell But i'm playtesting it. And it's great!
Old December 22, 2000, 16:38   #4
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 18:12
Have your friend talk to Julius Brenzaida, the creator fo giga-maps. Unfortunately I haven't seen Julius post in a long time.
What does this mod-pack do?

------------------
Save the whales, collect the whole set!!

If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith
Old December 23, 2000, 03:55   #5
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
quote:

Originally posted by jcarkey on 12-22-2000 03:38 PM
Have your friend talk to Julius Brenzaida, the creator fo giga-maps. Unfortunately I haven't seen Julius post in a long time.
What does this mod-pack do?

I'm not dead yet !
I'm playing two sucession games (civ2/general) and one chess game (other games), if you want to see some fresh posts from me. But, it is true, no creation work these days. Don't worry, holidays are here !
I'm no programmer though, and I don't think I can help much with a so difficult (and so important) project.
If I have any idea, I'll let you know ...

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old December 23, 2000, 10:33   #6
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:12
If you were able to remove the city limit, it would make a lot of SLeaguers who wanted an Election 2000 scenario possible.

------------------
"We sought to throw a raging lion ashore; what we got was a stranded whale!" -Winston Curchill on the Battle of Anzio

"Quis custodes ipsos custodiet?" -Juvenal

"I can walk!!" -Dr. Strangelove
Old December 23, 2000, 17:13   #7
SunTzu
Prince

John Valdez's mod-pack called "Greater Civilizations" gives you i believe 10 new civilizations to choose from. New historically accurate units. New technology ect....you get the point It should be great.
Old December 26, 2000, 09:48   #8
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Here’s a message I mailed some time ago. It might be revelant to the subject. Sorry, if it is not too optimistic.

Unfortunately, I am no informatician, and were I one that, I think, it would not be enough to help with the 255 cities. Only the programmers of Civilization II could do so.
Not only is FF a number that appears way too many times for you to find the one linked to the cities at random (what I did for the other fixes), but it is certainly linked with many other datas. Population and gold were independant datas, cities are not. The computer must know many things about each cities, (name, size, food, situation and so on). I'm afraid that simply changing the number would cause the game to crash and see no obvious way to work around it.

If you are of the kind of the true believers, you might try this. Hexedit the civ2.exe programm and replace, one at a time each value 00FF by 01FF (or any number bigger than 00FF). After each change, run civ2 and load a game with 255 cities. If you can't run the prog or build 256 cities, undo your last change and go for the next 00FF. When you reach (but after how many tries ??? 100-1000 or 10000) the one concerning cities numbers the program should allow you to build more cities. And here would come the real test. Either the game goes one fine and you're a genius and will be praised like a god by a few of us, either the game crashes. I think that the latter is more likely (9 chances out of 10) and I think it would take weeks to find where that particular FF is located.
But maybe someone has to try this.

By the way, I have looked through both Tot and MGE and I can tell you the core programs are very similar. So do not hope that ToT should be different.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old December 29, 2000, 09:22   #9
Thue
Freeciv Developer

Local Time: 02:12
freeciv:
2^32 cities and units combined max.
30 players max.

Just though I would mention it
Old December 30, 2000, 15:03   #10
Mike.doc
Chieftain

Julius do you know if your giga maps or the way to get them is available on MacOs? Is it a process?