Old November 11, 2001, 22:38   #1
Ray K
Prince

Local Time: 11:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Contact" victory?
The absolute weirdest thing happened to my Civ3 game tonight, and I'm becoming convinced that I have found an undocumented victory condition.

Basically, I was playing the Greeks and working on a spaceship victory when I suddenly received a message that SETI had made first contact and I was the winner. It happened so suddenly that it really didn't sink in until after it asked me if I wanted to continue playing. At first I thought it had something to do with the spaceship, but the "Hall of Fame" screen shows the victory as "Contact".

Someone please tell me they have seen this as well, or am I the first to find this?
Old November 11, 2001, 22:51   #2
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 10:35
Looks like you might have found an easter egg? Can someone at Firaxis or someone who is adept at looking at the game files or code confirm this?
Old November 11, 2001, 22:57   #3
Keyser Soze 0
Settler

What did the end-leader screen look like? You know, where all the leaders get to say things towards you (diplomatic victory has treaties, space has the interior of the ship, etc.)
Old November 11, 2001, 23:37   #4
tleilaxu
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
screenshot?
Old November 11, 2001, 23:52   #5
Ray K
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Keyser Soze 0
What did the end-leader screen look like? You know, where all the leaders get to say things towards you (diplomatic victory has treaties, space has the interior of the ship, etc.)
Not sure what you mean. I played for a few more turns before it sank in that the game was over. I was still trying to build spaceship components, LOL! After that I retired and looked at the hall of fame.

Anyway, I think this was a totally cool way to win.

I've attached a screenshot of the Hall of Fame. I am a little hesitant to post this because I probably hold the record for all-time lowest score -- that's what happens when you don't leave a defender in your first city.

Also, I learned the hard way to not use the UN unless you are sure you that you have a majority of the votes! The Contact win is the same game, reloaded before the UN vote.

BTW, I had to crop the screenshot to 600 pixels wide in order to upload it. I tried shrinking it, but the text was illegible when I did that, so I cropped it instead.

Last edited by Ray K; November 13, 2001 at 10:25.
Old November 11, 2001, 23:59   #6
Ray K
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray K

BTW, I had to crop the screenshot to 600 pixels wide in order to upload it. I tried shrinking it, but the text was illegible when I did that, so I cropped it instead.
OK, let me try to upload it again. It didn't seem to work. Now when I try to upload it, it says "The image that you have attached is too big. Please make it no bigger than 600 x 0."

I've cropped it from 1024x768 to 600x600 and saved it at 90% jpg. The file is 124K. why can't I upload it?
Old November 12, 2001, 00:02   #7
Ray K
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray K

OK, let me try to upload it again. It didn't seem to work. Now when I try to upload it, it says "The image that you have attached is too big. Please make it no bigger than 600 x 0."

I've cropped it from 1024x768 to 600x600 and saved it at 90% jpg. The file is 124K. why can't I upload it?

Maybe this will work. I have the full screenshot if anyone wants it.

(edit: I figured out what I was doing wrong with the upload. Here is a more complete shot, without the bottom cropped off)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rankings2.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	5726  

Last edited by Ray K; November 12, 2001 at 00:08.
Old November 12, 2001, 00:26   #8
tleilaxu
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:35
that's definitely interesting.... i wonder what the chance of that happening is?
Old November 12, 2001, 00:29   #9
kimmygibler
Warlord

Local Time: 09:35
Wow, an even more random way to win the game. The next obvious question is how do you turn off "contact" victory?
Old November 12, 2001, 00:55   #10
DaddyCool
Chieftain

I smell a hoax.

I found the place where the Victory Type strings are stored (Civilization III\Text\labels.txt line 848) and this is all I found:

None
Domination
Military
Cultural
Diplomatic
Space Race
Retired
Rank
Score

I did try to change these strings and the changes were appropriatley reflected in my hall of fame rankings (this could also have been done for the above screen shot).

So either Firaxis went to *great* lengths to hide this from us, or it's a hoax.

Last edited by DaddyCool; November 12, 2001 at 01:02.
Old November 12, 2001, 01:05   #11
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 12:35
Well, if this is a hoax, bravo, to both of you for pulling the veil over and removing it.

If not, and if, in fact, there is no string in the editable files to reflect it, this could become a problem for scenario creators.

Need a decent editor first, but let's say I make, say, a Powerpuff Girls scenario. Townsville has the "MoJo JoJo's Lab" wonder, with the attributes of SETI program, to reflect the awesome evil research created by MoJo JoJo himself. Unfortunately, if contact victory is possible, my Powerpuff Girls scenario could be ruined by a random "contact victory" for MoJo JoJo. What could be worse?
Old November 12, 2001, 03:16   #12
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:35
someone else building mojojojo's lab and making contact
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 12, 2001, 07:09   #13
Ray K
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DaddyCool
I smell a hoax.

I found the place where the Victory Type strings are stored (Civilization III\Text\labels.txt line 848) and this is all I found:

None
Domination
Military
Cultural
Diplomatic
Space Race
Retired
Rank
Score

I did try to change these strings and the changes were appropriatley reflected in my hall of fame rankings (this could also have been done for the above screen shot).

So either Firaxis went to *great* lengths to hide this from us, or it's a hoax.
That's very interesting, but it doesn't explain why the game suddenly ended. I know what happened. I'll restart from a saved game and see if it happens again. If it does, I'll get a screenshot of the victory message.
Old November 12, 2001, 07:31   #14
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 17:35
Creepy. I was just watching a couple of "ET" programs on Discovery Channel.

I smell a conspiracy. I shall be abducted tonight!

Still, this is utterly fascinating. If Contact is a victory, it was very clever to hide it somewhere in the game. Contact is an elusive thing in real life, and look what it's doing here! Fantastic!
Old November 12, 2001, 07:33   #15
DaddyCool
Chieftain

When it comes to UFO sightings, I'm just one of them skeptics
Old November 12, 2001, 09:30   #16
Wolfgang76
Chieftain

Hey Sorren
Hey sorren, is this legit?
Old November 12, 2001, 09:43   #17
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 19:35
Very good job, either at finding this, or fooling us .
Old November 12, 2001, 11:16   #18
zapperio
Warlord

Local Time: 16:35
It sure is cute Ray K.
If only you had positioned the text "contact (won)" 1 pixel higher I would have found it a lot more convincing.

Zap
Old November 12, 2001, 11:39   #19
Knasboll
Settler

Local Time: 16:35
Yup... Strange that the W in Won seems to be correctly aligned though

Edit: Sorry... It isn't.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rankings2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	5747  

Last edited by Knasboll; November 12, 2001 at 11:47.
Old November 12, 2001, 12:02   #20
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Knasboll
Yup... Strange that the W in Won seems to be correctly aligned though

Edit: Sorry... It isn't.
The thought that it was a hoax obviously crossed my mind, but then I thought no-one in their right mind would go to such lengths to do something so lame, but I guess some people are reeeeeeealllly bored.
Old November 12, 2001, 12:04   #21
DaddyCool
Chieftain

Busted!

If you would've edited the text files like I tried, you wouldn't have had to worry about the alignment problem.

I give you points for creativity though! SETI establishes first contact Priceless!!
Old November 12, 2001, 13:28   #22
Ray K
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DaddyCool
Busted!

If you would've edited the text files like I tried, you wouldn't have had to worry about the alignment problem.

I give you points for creativity though! SETI establishes first contact Priceless!!
Glad I could get a laugh!

Too bad, I had a better in-game screen shot coming...

In all seriousness, I was thinking that, since we have diplomatic, military, and cultural victory conditions, that a "scientific" victory should be possible as well. SETI seemed like a perfect choice since it comes too late in the game to be useful for research, but at a good time to be a victory condition (like the UN).

Ideally, as soon as SETI was built there would be a miniscule chance per turn of "contact", but if it happened the most scientifically advanced civ would win the game.

It was a small step from suggesting an improvement to editing a screenshot with Paint. It occupied a mere fraction of the time I've actually spent playing the game
Old November 12, 2001, 15:31   #23
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

That was evil done, Ray!

OK, and a little funny!

Only a little!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old November 12, 2001, 18:05   #24
fanatic civver
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:05
had me there for a minute until I scrolled down a bit

contact victory sounds like a really cool way to win the game for scientific civs. Maybe in an expansion pack
Old November 12, 2001, 18:37   #25
Bereta_Eder
Settler

and I was for a minute there thinking of the parameters that would be required for a contact victory and all that