Old November 12, 2001, 01:27   #1
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
BTC, abondon your cause. The LE is not worth it!
BTC,

There is no good reason to agitate for the LE edition. Yeah it may hurt to be left out on a specialty product (since you live in Siberia ). But you are way better of without the LE. Read some of the threads here about the problems with the videos, tech tree poster and lacking designer's notes.

Ask yourself, what are you really fighing for? Even if you have lots of cash to burn, this is not a good choice. The package is not a luxury package.
Old November 12, 2001, 02:13   #2
Malthis
Settler

Local Time: 08:35
Totally agree, LE was nothing but a tin box. But I can understand people still wanting it, after all with it being a total dissapointment as far as a "Limited Edition" I still enjoy having the cool tin box that basically says "I love CIV no matter how much it costs!". It's a fan thing.
Old November 12, 2001, 02:41   #3
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:35
tin is thin and nice
there are no designers' notes
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 12, 2001, 07:47   #4
Barnacle Bill
Warlord

Local Time: 11:35
The "designers notes" is a one-page letter with no real info in it, where I had been expecting something more on the order of a detailed explaination of all the design decisions that went into playing the game - why they changed what they changed from Civ2, why the kept what they didn't change, why they didn't reapply certain major features from SMAC, etc... The "making of Civ3" videos are more like infomercials pitching the game than providing insights into, well, the sort of stuff I expected in the designer's notes. It's kind of cool to see what some of these guys from Firaxis who post here look like, but not that cool. The tin is a funny shape that seems a bad fit on the shelf with my other games. All in all, hind sight being 20-20, if I had it to do over again I would not have boght the LE. In fact, I felt that way as soon as I opened the box (in the car in the mall parking lot) and saw the "designer's notes".

So, my message to the BTC is "be careful what you wish for..."
Old November 12, 2001, 09:44   #5
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

(had some problems posting this)

Last edited by Jusbaummer; November 12, 2001 at 09:56.
Old November 12, 2001, 09:52   #6
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

Re: BTC, abondon your cause. The LE is not worth it!
Quote:
Originally posted by GP
BTC,

There is no good reason to agitate for the LE edition. Yeah it may hurt to be left out on a specialty product (since you live in Siberia ) . But you are way better of without the LE. Read some of the threads here about the problems with the videos, tech tree poster and lacking designer's notes.

Ask yourself, what are you really fighing for? Even if you have lots of cash to burn, this is not a good choice. The package is not a luxury package.
USA rules. Others are nothing. So who cares about them and where they live?
Old November 12, 2001, 10:17   #7
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Oh, don't be so serious! Or did the Siberia comment hit a little too close to home? Go pet the reindeer and have a sauna!

(Serious mode) smaller markets will not get as many product versions as larger markets. It's a logistics issue. Same as if you lived in BFE in the States. (Capiche?)

Last edited by TCO; November 12, 2001 at 10:33.
Old November 12, 2001, 10:31   #8
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 11:35
Quote:
In fact, I felt that way as soon as I opened the box (in the car in the mall parking lot) and saw the "designer's notes".
You know the same thing happened to me. I opened the box in the mall parking lot and was INSTANTLY DISAPPOINTED with the LE. I should've tried returning the game right there, as EB has a pretty good return policy, and bought the regular version.

Other than that I've been having fun playing the game. If only my wait time between turns would be less than 3 minutes as the game progresses.
Old November 12, 2001, 10:48   #9
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

Do you think I sounded serious?
That's the problem with internet chat.
And that's why there are smilies.
They're not just decoration.

And here's one to tell you my mood:
Old November 12, 2001, 10:55   #10
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Good, cause I'm actually an honorary Finnish citizen. Earned by being one of 3 crazies (out of 50) in company training program to sauna and then run outside and jump in snow naked...
Old November 12, 2001, 11:11   #11
Wolfshanze
PolyCast Team
Warlord

Local Time: 10:35
LE is a waste
Another "here-here" that LE is just not worth the metal tin it's distributed in.

Yes, it has a metal tin... if a metal tin is worth an extra $10 (or $20) bucks, then go buy the tin, because that's the only major differance between LE and "regular" Civ3.

Oh no, wait... did I mention, you also get a useless crappy cardboard CD holder that scratches your CD's and is nearly impossible to get the CD's out of? First thing I did after opening LE (I waited till I got home), was to make a new cover for the game, and insert it into a REAL plastic CD Jewel case and toss the useless cardboard caddy.

No, unless you want your christmas cookies distributed in a Civ3 tin, it's just not worth it.

Case in point:
At my EB store, regular Civ3 was $52, LE Civ3 was $62... I shelled out for the LE and got my tin... next day, I go to Walmart, and spot regular Civ3 for $39 bucks... damn... did I feel ripped off!

Drop any "campaign" to get LE... it just seems silly!