Old November 12, 2001, 05:01   #1
fikrii
Settler

Local Time: 16:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
5816 Years of Our History - The Rise of Prometheus
Here's an account of my Emperor level game, won with space victory (just trying my hand at writing a short story )

The savegame is at http://fikrii.brinkster.net/winspaceemperor.zip, and also attached

Founder's Diary, 28 December 1816

Gleaming on the horizon is the Prometheus, bringer of a new hope to our people, and the people of this planet for that matter.

Exactly 30 years ago, our scientists, with their always-inquisitive minds, have devised a comprehensive program funded by the government to Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence.

Ever since the dawn of the Theory of Evolution (discovered by our Persian friends for the benefit of all mankind), we have begun to wonder about our place in the universe. From the nagging questions of origins comes the realization that there may be others, and that our lone blue planet is a mere cosmic dust in the vastness of space and time.

Out of this new enlightenment arises a new drive in our society. We are going to reach out for the stars! We shall leave behind our millenias of struggle on this lonesome rock, and walk among the stars like giants. Global warming and the declining resources of the Earth (shared in the uneasy peace by the Four Great Powers) will be a thing of the past. Human civilization will be united in a grand new destiny. And Terrania, will lead in this new quest.

Our first colonization ship to the nearest habitable planet (discovered almost by chance by the powerful SETI scanners some twenty years ago) is almost ready. Its outer protective casing had just been laid in place a few months ago, and the final entertainment module was installed just a few weeks earlier.

Ahhh, it has been a long way. Oh yes, a long way indeed.
It has been a long road, getting from there to here. Our time is finally here.

FIRST CONTACT
I can still remember when we laid the foundation of our first building. A simple stone hut for my throne. We were a ragtag bunch of nomads who were tired of wandering around, and have finally decided to settle down. I still remember the face of Marhaen. If this civilization owes anything to anybody, it is to Marhaen. He discovered farming, which allowed us to build our first settlement instead of hunting and gathering for eternity.

We were a tough bunch. As I recall, the first contact we made with another tribe was with the French. Joan was a fine lady indeed. Alas, we were at peace for only a short while, until war was declared in 2230 BC. Our brave archers sacked the French town of Orleans that year. The first in many.

A thousand years passed by uneventfully. We acquired masonry from the French as a part of our peace accord, and learned to build better buildings as a result (including some improvements made to my palace of course!). But fighting broke out again in 1025 when we again conquered a French town, this time it's their capital of Paris. We maintained a steady front for 525 years, and finally finished off the French in 1550BC.

By this time I had hoped for a long period of peace. Three thousand years of struggle against the French had stretched our resources to the limit, and we had not expanded our empire a we wanted to. Much of our resources were used up to build the army. Our armies of swordsmen, the bravest men of the iron age.

THE GREAT EXPANSION
Alas, also by this time, our scouts and travelers informed me of the Great Russian Empire with their capita of Moscow, home to Queen Catherine and The Oracle. It did not take long for the Russians to expand their cities too close to our borders. They troubled me greatly, since our primitive, almost barbaric culture would certainly be quickly devoured by the highly cultured Russians.

Fortunately, our General at the time, Thadeusz, had devised a bold plan. It called for the reactivation of our long dormant swordsman units, and the creation of a dozen new swordsman divisions. It was a bold plan indeed. We had to resort to much forced labor to create this magnificent army, and a great many died for the glory of the Empire.

We initiated hostility with the Russians by capturing their outer city of Kiev in 670BC. This war would continue on and off for 1000 years. We finally drove the last of the Russians off our contilnental coast in 890AD with the capture of Tbilisi, and mopped up the remaining outposts by 1710 AD. By this time, the Russians were very culturally inferior to our industrial Terrania.

THE GOLDEN AGE
The capture of Tbilisi was a pivotal moment in our history. It initiated a period of peace for almost 800 years. During this time, we confirmed that we occupy a small continent, and procedeed to colonize OUR continent. Science and the arts flourished. Contacts were made with the great nations of India, China, Japan and Persia. Trade flowed across the great oceans that separated our great continents. Trades of luxury goods and exchanges of scholarly studies fueled the world's economies. Terrania remained at peace for the remainder of these years. With the continent securely ours, we proceeded to build up our once-barbaric culture. A new monarchy was instituted. Temples and cathedrals were built. Universities and libraries were comissioned as soon as they were deemed feasible.

A few hundred years later the newly democratic Terrania, fearing long wars and suffering, have become a peaceful nation.
Only minor military expeditions were dispatched to finish off the Russians and, 60 years later, the devastated English. Our new Panzer divisions made short work of the English' outdated spearmen. Also, with the victory over the English, our country had become confident enough to hold its head high in the world arena, our golden age began.

Alas, despite our progress, Terrania had remained behind in our scientific pursuits. The great nations of China and India, having absorbed the cultural centers of England and Japan, had come to dominate as the world's premier centers of learning. We had to resort to spying in order to stay competitive. Our spies were hard at work trying to capture as much information as possible about the Chinese and Indians' secret technologies. Fortunately, our great Intelligence Agency scored many successful infiltrations into their heavily guarded labs.

With these stolen technologies, we improved our large, yet vulnerable nation.

THE SPACE RACE
By the mid 1700s, the world had been divided into The Four Great Powers of Terrania, Persia, China and India. Peace and prosperity (made possible by relentless trade and skillful diplomacy of the great nations) ruled the world. A peace we had not seen in 5600 years.

Out of this period of peace comes the realization that all is not well with the Earth. Global warming and pollution had taken its toll on the once tranquil mother nature. Even Terrania, which had not had much industrialization was beginning to feel the pressure of pollution from the new factories were built.

And finally, with the advent of the Persians' Teory of Evolution and the new findings of the SETI program of Terrania, humanity has realized that there is much possibility in the vastness of the universe. Peace of the world was strengthened by this newfound enlightenment. With the founding of the United Nations 36 years ago, nations come together as never before in this new era. The only question that remains was: Who shall lead us out of our cradle into the vast playground of the universe?

It was agreed in a United Nations special session in Nanking that the decision would be left to a competition of the nations. The first nation to colonize another star system will have the honor of leading humanity into the stars.

Soon after the first flights into space were made, the Four Great Powers begun building their spaceships to leave the crowded planet. The space race had begun. China and India geared their massive industrial capacities at building the massive spaceships. The Indians' Krishna were being built almost as fast as the Chinese' Kung Ming.

Here my dear friend, is where our last great struggle began.
Millenias of constant war had delayed Terrania's rise to world power. Terrania had entered the space race late. The nation had just emerged from the industrial age some 40 years after the other great powers. Factories and universities were our priorities up until the time of the space race.

Hundreds of years of peace had left Terrania's once great armies in disfunction. Only two panzer and several mechanized infantry divisions were operational. Homeland defense takes second priority to industrial production. As a result, I ordered our department of defense to begin rearmament programs.

But with the space race, ICBMs were converted into Space Ship Thrusters, and most of our industrial productions had to be quickly converted for use in our fledgling space program.

Well, it's 1816.
Rumors had it that the Chinese' and Indians' spaceships were only two years away from being fully operational and ready to launch.

But a great leader by the name of Richthofen had pushed the construction of our space ship exterior casing from 6 years to 1. It is now ready for launch.

I named it Prometheus, after the Greek God who gave fire, and ultimately the world, to Man. It too, will give humanity its fire of the future.

Today we stand at the brink of a historical moment in human history.

We shall touch the sky, and walk among the stars.

It's been a long road.

A very long road indeed.

THE FOUNDER

Game settings: Standard, mid continent, all victory conditions enabled, normal, temperate, roaming.

Terrania = Germans; militaristic, scientific.

I hope you enjoyed it
Attached Files:
File Type: zip winspaceemperor.zip (179.5 KB, 7 views)
Old November 12, 2001, 07:28   #2
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 18:36
Superb! If I had written this in an english story on school, I guess I would have gotten 6(best grade!)!!!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old November 12, 2001, 09:17   #3
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 17:36
Best one I have read. Now go do another one!
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars