Old November 25, 2001, 13:10   #31
tmarcl
Warlord

Local Time: 11:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MaSsConFUsi0n
tmarcl

i hope that you realize that a lot of people are on this forum to get info and strats for civ3, not show off their impressive english. as long as other people know what they're saying, then there is no reason to get all up in arms about it. i'm sure that if someone writes "your screwed" people assume it means "you're screwed." it's ok to make mistakes... look at me, i never capitalize cause it requires me to hit the SHIFT key and it is just easier to type and go. i'm lazy...

i'm in college, but i don't sit and complain about other people using incorrect grammar. the only people that i DO complain to are those who complain about others using incorrect grammar and then they use it as well. i'm not saying that you're using incorrect grammar, btw. anyway, just realize that a lot of these posters are from other countries and are much younger than myself or you. think about it...

MaSsConFUsi0n
Mistakes are one thing-hell, even *I* make typos (thank goodness for the edit feature) And with this forum program, where I type faster than the words appear, it's even easier. And, as I said in an earlier post, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to those who don't speak English as a first language. I even ignore people who type in all small caps (as long as they're consistent).

As for people with a sixth grade education (at least, that's when I learned the 'official' rules of grammar) I do tend to be a bit of a grammar fascist. I'm actually very good with not commenting, mainly because of the 'well, I really don't care about my spelling/grammar argument. *That's* what annoys me. Granted, other than the moderaters, no one is posting here as part of their job or for a school project, but they are writing in a public forum. Deliberately (as in, I don't care if 'it's correct spelling/grammar or not') not using proper grammar (how do I say this without being offensive?) makes people look uneducated. More than likely, they're not, but it gives the impression.

Given that none (or very few of us) are most likely not going to meet in person, this is the only chance we have to *make* an impression on each other. Think about it, if you were going to meet someone for the first time, would you go without at *least* taking a shower and putting on clean clothes? Of course not. You'd make the effort to look decent. Same thing here, with grammar and spelling.

Now, all of this, of course is mainly in my own opnion. Which, as always, is worth exactly what you've paid for it.

Marc
Old November 25, 2001, 20:59   #32
FALVES
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:37
Hmmm, wasn't this post about cheats?

Anyway, I'm trying to find a cheat that reveals the hole map (for editing purposes. yeah, I dont believe in cheating)
Old November 26, 2001, 00:26   #33
MaSsConFUsi0n
Chieftain

hey marc,

if you're annoyed by people not caring about spelling/grammar, then don't go on these forums... cause then you won't be all mad about this very insignificant thing....

MaSsConFUsi0n
Old November 26, 2001, 13:33   #34
tmarcl
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MaSsConFUsi0n
hey marc,

if you're annoyed by people not caring about spelling/grammar, then don't go on these forums... cause then you won't be all mad about this very insignificant thing....

MaSsConFUsi0n
Insignificant for some, maybe. I realize that it's an anal retentive thing-hence the fact that I usually don't say anything. I read the forums for the same reason most everyone else does-to learn tips and strategies for Civ. I just like to be able to understand what it is that I'm reading.

Marc
Old November 26, 2001, 17:35   #35
tomcat ha
Warlord

Local Time: 17:37
please stop.
This is a cheat thread so shut up SALAK HAMAR SUKKEL
Old November 26, 2001, 23:46   #36
sachmo71
Warlord

Local Time: 10:37
Quote:
Originally posted by FALVES
the hole map (for editing purposes.
It's whole not hole!

JUST KIDDING! Jeez!
Old November 27, 2001, 01:21   #37
padillah
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
King

I can't just sit here and let you take all the heat for this
Marc,
I have to say, I'm on your side on this. I'm an English nit-picker and sometimes I find what I'm reading to be almost offensive.

As to the "It's not that important" argument... If being understood correctly is not important to you than you can stop trying to communicate now.

With that said I will never look at this post again nor will I answer anyone who brings this topic up in other posts I do read.

I am not attacking anyone and therefore refuse to defend myself in the slightest.

Just letting you know you are not alone.
Hank P.
Old November 30, 2001, 16:22   #38
Elowan
Warlord

Local Time: 09:37
Quote:
I have to say, I'm on your side on this. I'm an English nit-picker and sometimes I find what I'm reading to be almost offensive.
Interesting attitude and one that seem's especially rampant amongst Americans and Parisians.

I can write and speak Russian now, but there was a time when my Russian grammar was atrocious. My listeners would gently smile and correct me - but never bashed.
Old November 30, 2001, 16:27   #39
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:37
cheating is boring..... correcting grammar is alot more fun

in a word...tolerance
Old November 30, 2001, 16:35   #40
MarshalN
Warlord

Quote:
If being understood correctly is not important to you than you can stop trying to communicate now.
Padillah, I just couldn't resist doing this. If you take notice you would find that you have incorrectly used the word "than" when you really should be using "then".

Just want to point out
Old November 30, 2001, 17:33   #41
Txurce
Prince

Tomcat,

This site is clearly no longer about cheating.

Marc,

You spelled "moderator" wrong. It has an "o" rather than an "e" at the end.

I can't be sure, but believe I can differentiate between the grammatical errors of writers whose first language isn't English, and Americans who simply write sloppily. I greatly appreciate the efforts of the former to engage in dialogues (like those in Apolyton) that require them to use English, and what errors they make never bother me.

But I have to add that there is a strong correlation between Americans who write sloppily in these threads and the sloppiness of their thinking. Most of the players who have contributed to the Strategy section - Velocyrix, David Weldon, randomturn, et al. - take the time to write clearly. Coincidence? I think not.
Old November 30, 2001, 19:32   #42
jgflg
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:37
Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
cheating is boring..... correcting grammar is alot more fun

in a word...tolerance
Sure is. A lot.