Old November 12, 2001, 12:57   #1
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 10:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Turn Off Domination Victory.
Are you kidding me? Domination is not a victory. It's not even an ending. Take about lack of satisfaction! Turn it off and win one of the other ways. And while you're at it, turn off diplomatic victory!

Two notes:

1. The Greeks ruled the world. The disappeared. The romans dominated. They disappeared. DOMINATION IS NOT VICTORY.

2. Diplomatic victory is the biggest joke ever. Even if you are elected, IRL, terms would expire.

Post note: I think it kind of sucks that they made the AI "harder" and then just gave some easy outs of victory for that "feel good feeling."

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old November 12, 2001, 13:06   #2
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

Diplomatic victory is a farce.

Neither the Greeks nor the Romans controlled 2/3 of the world.
Old November 12, 2001, 14:55   #3
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:37
Re: Turn Off Domination Victory.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaak
Are you kidding me? Domination is not a victory. It's not even an ending. Take about lack of satisfaction! Turn it off and win one of the other ways. And while you're at it, turn off diplomatic victory!

Two notes:

1. The Greeks ruled the world. The disappeared. The romans dominated. They disappeared. DOMINATION IS NOT VICTORY.

2. Diplomatic victory is the biggest joke ever. Even if you are elected, IRL, terms would expire.

Post note: I think it kind of sucks that they made the AI "harder" and then just gave some easy outs of victory for that "feel good feeling."
If you think about it, the traditional victory of spaceship to alpha centauri doesn't matter either. In real life, time does not stop to celebrate the victory of a civilization. Time just go on, and the civilizations of the planet wax and wane with the tides of history.

Civilization 3 on the other hand is a game. It has to end somewhere, and I find all the victory conditions to be perfectly legitimate. I may favor some more than others, but at least I have the option to go for one victory if I know the other victories are out of my reach.

I suggest you folks stop taking the game so seriously to the point where it has to live up to "real world" rules. In the real world, you can't save and reload a game either, and we all know everyone does it.
Old November 12, 2001, 15:05   #4
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

The point is that it is a game, and a domination victory is completely anticlimactic. At least with the space race, there is a big build up. Am I going to be the first? please please...YEA!!! domination victory? bah...Might as well conquest the world.

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old November 12, 2001, 15:11   #5
HunterAssasin
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:37
I hate diplomatic victory, in SMAC it was much better. Instead of each civ getting one vote they got a vote based on how many people they had and if you lose a vote and someone else gets I think 2/3 of the vote you can not except the decision and get ready for the fight of your life

In Civ 3 four civs vote for one civ and three vote for you, and you lose the game right there and then.
Old November 12, 2001, 15:13   #6
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:37
It does feel like you're playing the weakest link