Old November 12, 2001, 22:54   #1
Enigma
Prince

Local Time: 16:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Offensive settlers-
I tend to be an opportunist, I look at every part of a game as how it can help *me*, with little regard to realism. I have recently boiled down my military strategy to 1 concept: keep your forces constantly in use. A military force that spends 1/2 of its time running from city to city in enemy territory is only 2/3 as effective as a military that spends every turn attacking or healing.

Late game modern armor is really good at this, it can move through 2 squares and still attack an enemy city. Using this in combination with bombers you can take cities rapidly.

But what about enemy cities that have 3 squares of their territory between you and them. What do you do then?

I use offensive settlers. I will establish a base for the sole purpose of moving my empire forward 1 square. This means that my tanks can entire the square directly in front of the city without losing any movement points. Movement points are the what I value above all else. By using this strategy your units spend 1 turn attacking and then 1 turn healing, rather than 1 moving, 1 attacking, then 1 moving. Perhaps cheap- but speedy!
Old November 13, 2001, 00:07   #2
Monoriu
Warlord

Local Time: 16:40
Awesome strategy. It will speed up the conquest of enemy terriroty a lot. I'll have to try this one out.

But one problem though. It will increase the city count and it may increase corruption in the home cities, slowing down troop production.
Old November 13, 2001, 16:25   #3
Out4Blood
Warlord

Local Time: 11:40
I don't get it - maybe I am dumb. You wasted a settler making a new town so you could save a couple movement points?
Old November 13, 2001, 16:59   #4
Ray K
Prince

Local Time: 11:40
Re: Offensive settlers-
Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma
I use offensive settlers. I will establish a base for the sole purpose of moving my empire forward 1 square. This means that my tanks can entire the square directly in front of the city without losing any movement points. Movement points are the what I value above all else. By using this strategy your units spend 1 turn attacking and then 1 turn healing, rather than 1 moving, 1 attacking, then 1 moving. Perhaps cheap- but speedy!
Interesting strategy. But instead of using a settler to establish a base for advancing my empire, I use a group of 4-5 offensive units.

They take a city, advance the empire, and heal in the newly-captured city. Rinse and repeat.

Seriously, by the time I have established a "front line" with an offensive settler, my attacking units would have moved the front line forward about 3-4 cities. My motto is "Conquer first and ask questions later". You won't believe how much an AI will give you for peace when you have troops amassed at his last city.