Old November 13, 2001, 00:47   #1
Kautilya
King

Local Time: 10:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is CTP2 after modding better than Civ 3?
My first impression of CTP2 was good but I got tired of the weak AI. I had some problems running the mods so I gave up on the game. (maybe I will give it another go some time).

Civ 3 has a much improved AI but is deficient in some other respects among the many restrictions on armies compared to CTP2 stacked combat.

Those who have tried both: which is better Civ3 or CTP2 after mods?
Old November 14, 2001, 06:36   #2
kaan
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 16:40
Quote:
Those who have tried both: which is better Civ3 or CTP2 after mods?
you just cant say that, ctp2 is fantastic in so many ways but the AI never really got it going right, then civ3 came and virtually stopped all development on ctp2. This happened because civ3 has a fantastic AI compared to ctp2.
only time will tell if ppl will come back to work on ctp2, but i think they will, there is just too much "wrong" with civ3 that you cant sit down and change in a txt editor.
i think that what im really trying to say is that the two games gives me something different when i play them and that i cant say that i like one more than the other.
Old November 21, 2001, 21:23   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 09:40
If you like Multiplayer games then CTP2 is head and shoulders above Civ3. Cheers.

Last edited by Oerdin; November 26, 2001 at 20:10.
Old November 23, 2001, 23:09   #4
FrankBullit
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 11:40
Wha...?
Old November 24, 2001, 05:24   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankBullit
Wha...?
That's because Civ3 doesn't have multiplayer Frank. But even if it didn't the moded CTP2 is a worthy game plus you can get it dirt cheap now since it has been out for a year.
Old November 28, 2001, 09:59   #6
asoulie
Settler

Local Time: 17:40
I don't know CIV III since it has not been launched in France. What I can say is that CTP2, once you have patched and modded it, is a much more subtle game than CIV II : there is a continuum in every parameter evolution wich helps to pursue or change smoothly your desings and strategies (for example, without an aqueduct, your city grows less and less fastly, but it doesn't stop growing).
Besides, the human interface (is it the right word in english ?)
provides much more information than in CIV II. That makes the game much faster and easier to play.
I like also the fact that you are not compeled to keep an eye on your workers every time your city grows.

More than that many things exist only on CTP II : armies, special units, diplomatic proposals, ways to win, aso...

All in all, I will certainly buy CIV III. I want to know if it is worth the money I'll spend. But I think that the main concepts used in CTP2 are not to be compared to those used in CIV. And after being patch with activision and apolyton products, I cannot observe any major bug...
Old December 4, 2001, 09:09   #7
Raven
Settler

Local Time: 16:40
I loved Civ2 until CTP1 came out. After years I tried Civ2 again and found it hopeless outdated.
Graphics are basic, no stacking so you have to move around every unit in your army every turn and a simple strategy to win (get democracy as soon as possible, tune up happiness and celebrate every turn, you grow out faster than any opponent and have plenty money to buy out every city you want).

Therefore I expected CTP2 to make Civ2 totally obsolete.
However without mods CTP2 is less fun than CTP1.
Too many turns I am only waiting for a new advance or improvement and the AI turns out to be very disappointing.

The mods do help, but still I expect Civ to give CTP the final blow. Certainly on the long run.
Old February 5, 2002, 17:32   #8
Oerdin
Deity

In the long run you may be right, this will depend on exactly what Firaxis does with the MP version and the expansion pack. However, even if Firaxis hits the nail on the head CTP2 will still have a great scripting language built into so I expect CTP2 to be around for some time yet.