Old November 15, 2001, 08:16   #31
JayKay
Warlord

Local Time: 16:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Bee
It's a Civ2 scenario. You guys play/played Civ2, right?
I have Civ I, CivNet, Civ 2 MGE, Civ ToT, CTP, SMAC, FreeCiv, Europa Universalis, Civ 3, MOO, MOO2 and MOM! I think i pretty much have almost everything even near Civilization!

Never played that scenario though (i don't usually have patience to download all the scenarios available for Civ 2 - there's just too many of them and sometimes there not that good)! But i just love to play scenarios (when they are well designed)! What's the story of that one? Where can i get it?

But now that i have Civ 3, i don't think i'll have time to play that one (at least not in the next centurys )! But i'll give it a try!

Portugal
Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)
Old November 15, 2001, 08:22   #32
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:41
Quote:
Originally posted by JayKay
Never played that scenario though (i don't usually have patience to download all the scenarios available for Civ 2 - there's just too many and sometimes there not that good)
Sorry for the inmodesty but Alba is relatively well known. I would even say it's very well known What kind of scenarios have you downloaded?

Quote:
But i just love to play scenarios (when they are well designed)! What's the story of that one?
I bet all you Portuguese friends would like it

Quote:
Where can i get it?
Guess There a few other goodies for you in that page, I told you already!

Quote:
But now that i have Civ 3, i don't think i'll have time to play that one (at least not in the next centurys )!

Quote:
But i'll give it a try!

Did yo ever try the other one I suggested a couple weeks ago?
Old November 15, 2001, 08:52   #33
JayKay
Warlord

Quote:
I bet all you Portuguese friends would like it
So...i guess you aren't going to give any clues, right?

Quote:
Guess There a few other goodies for you in that page, I told you already!
ohh...ok...i thought it was somewhere else!

Quote:
Don't you have Civ 3 yet?

Quote:
Did yo ever try the other one I suggested a couple weeks ago?
I downloaded it, but i didn't tried it yet!

It ain't easy to work (I have two jobs) and study at night, and still have time to play, you know!

But i'm sure i'll try it one of these days!

Portugal
Old November 15, 2001, 09:01   #34
Jay Bee
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by JayKay
So...i guess you aren't going to give any clues, right?
The title says it all

Quote:
Don't you have Civ 3 yet?
I do but, between you and me, I do not find it as exciting as Civ and Civ2 were

Quote:
But i'm sure i'll try it one of these days!
Be sure you do
Old November 15, 2001, 09:10   #35
Zealot
King

Local Time: 17:41
Quote:
That makes two of us....
That interface sure isn't helping!
Old November 15, 2001, 09:55   #36
JayKay
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot

That makes two of us....
That interface sure isn't helping!
Quote:

And that makes three of us

Well....i do have to agree with you! It seems that i'm getting a little tired of the game and it's new yet! That didn't happened to me in Civ 2! I'm not sure why it is, but Civ 3 isn't as addicting as Civ 2! Really don't know why!

But until a get tired, i don't think i'll play much of anything else! (mostly because of the little time i have to play)!

Portugal
Old November 15, 2001, 17:10   #37
PGM
Prince

Quote:
Have any of you guys ever played 'Alba de América'?
Not for a long time, but yes, it's very nice. I also enjoyed the Fascist patch, some of Harlan's scenarios and Red Front - ww2.

Quote:
You guys play/played Civ2, right?
No, I was just waiting for you to show me how.
Old November 15, 2001, 17:37   #38
Jay Bee
staff

PGM, if you take the latter sentence out of the context in which it was said, of course it makes no sense
Old November 15, 2001, 19:59   #39
Itoi
Settler

A special unit for portugal could be the one wish we have defeated the spanish in the batalha battle: we were few without horses and we defeated the spanish chilvary. I dont remenber the name of the commander tha gave us the victory but i remenber the square tactic!!!

So we could make a land unit with sword that could be stronger, or doesnt have energy bar(it always full) because we were very few .
Old November 16, 2001, 06:50   #40
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Itoi
A special unit for portugal could be the one wish we have defeated the spanish in the batalha battle: we were few without horses and we defeated the spanish chilvary. I dont remenber the name of the commander tha gave us the victory but i remenber the square tactic!!!
It was Nuno Álvares Pereira. And it was on Aljubarrota, not Batalha.

Quote:
Originally posted by Itoi
So we could make a land unit with sword that (...) doesnt have energy bar(it always full) because we were very few .
You mean an invincible unit?
Old November 16, 2001, 09:15   #41
Jay Bee
staff

Quote:
It was Nuno Álvares Pereira. And it was on Aljubarrota, not Batalha.

And it was the Castilians, not the Spanish
Old November 16, 2001, 09:53   #42
Zealot
King

Quote:
And it was the Castilians, not the Spanish
Whatever!
They're all Spaniards to us!
Old November 17, 2001, 08:15   #43
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Zealot,
You wanted me to look at your thread and tell you what's still missing? Well, for one thing on-topic disccussion Why are you guys debating whether or not Portugal deserves to be in? They're in the top 15 of the XPC poll, that's all the reason we need for having them in (I don't care if your name is Luxembourg, if you're in the top 15, you're in the top 15)...

I think the list of Portuguese city names is awfully short: I mean come on, 16 cities? You're country is 2.5 times larger than mine and I had had a time restraining myself from not suggestion over 100 cities for the Dutch

An overview of Portuguese history would be very useful as well, for the civilipedia and to inform infidels like me who don't know jack about Portugal and it's - no doubt glorious - past

BTW, I personally prefer local names over English ones, so Joao instead of John (right?) and Lisboa instead of Lisbon, but that's just my opinion...
Old November 17, 2001, 11:06   #44
Martinus
Prince

I have a simple and neat idea about Portugal CSU. Let's name it Caravel. We could change the non-unique unit to be named "Sail" or something like that (like in Civ2), while retaining Caravel as a special unit for Portugese. After all it became most famous under the Portugese explorers and the name, IIRC, comes from a Portugese word meaning "wood" (is it "carvalho"? sorry for possible mistake )
Old November 17, 2001, 13:46   #45
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
I think the list of Portuguese city names is awfully short: I mean come on, 16 cities? You're country is 2.5 times larger than mine and I had had a time restraining myself from not suggestion over 100 cities for the Dutch
Pure time shortage.

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus An overview of Portuguese history would be very useful as well, for the civilipedia and to inform infidels like me who don't know jack about Portugal and it's - no doubt glorious - past
Pure lack of time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
BTW, I personally prefer local names over English ones, so Joao instead of John (right?) and Lisboa instead of Lisbon, but that's just my opinion...
Yes, it's João! Very good! (I'm impressed! Really!)
And that is also my opinion, but it is not all that important. But it would be nice.
Thank you for your participation, Locutus.

Quote:
Originally posted by Martinus I have a simple and neat idea about Portugal CSU. Let's name it Caravel.
That was also Itoi's idea, but he didn't play the game yet. And I think you didn't too.
Although Caravels were pretty used by the Portuguese, in the game that UU wouldn't make the play any fun! Because:
1. Your unique unit must have its first military victory in order to that civilization enter its golden age;
2. Caravels aren't properly military units;
3. You don't need boats to trade resources in Civ 3 like you need in real life!

But that's not a very big problem anymore. Because if Portugal was discovering Brazil, and trading by sea from India and China and Japan, they were also fighting in North Africa, in order to monopolize the big trading cities that there was there.

In those battles, the King of Portugal had the support of an "Order of Christ". They were Knights, that were former Templars, and had the support of the "Church". It's all in the link I posted above.

Oh, and yes, it's "carvalho" (you guys are making me one happy portuguese! how did you learn this things?)
Old November 19, 2001, 13:30   #46
FALVES
Chieftain

Hey, how about this for unique unit:

Padeira de Aljubarrota

He, he, he!!

Now seriously, we really have a problem with the unique unit, 'cause Portugal earned it's status and glory mostly trough commercial achievements, as such, the best "units" we had were all comercial "units".
Old November 19, 2001, 13:42   #47
Ecowiz Returns
Chieftain

First of all, my congratulations for the work done so far.

To help out, I'd like to sugest some more cities:

These are admnistrative centers so their a possible choice:
Viana do Castelo
Vila Real
Aveiro
Portalegre
Setúbal
Funchal
Ponta Delgada
Angra do Heroísmo

These were important in some hystoric event or through some
time:
Covilhã (industrial center - wool)
Sintra (cultural center and strategic location in the conquer of Lisbon)
Avis (the Order of Avis hometown)
Crato (hometown of one of our wannabe kings)
Vila Vicosa

These I just remembered:
Figueira da Foz
Chaves
Portimão

Some important cities of the anciet Portuguese Empire:
Lourenço Marques
Luanda
Cidade da Praia
Mombaça

Anyone remembers ancient commercial inteposts ("feitorias")?

As for the special unit it is unfortunate that the Caravel doesn't work. It would be the perfect choice. But the "Order of Christ" seems a great unit and would trigger the Golden Age right when it happened.

I'll see if I can pick up some roster of important historic events to help build our civilization's history. When do you think it would be best to start: with Viriato of the Lusitans, with the Count D. Henrique or with Afonso Henriques (our first King)?

Last edited by Ecowiz Returns; November 19, 2001 at 13:57.
Old November 19, 2001, 14:18   #48
Zealot
King

Ecowiz, thank you for your help. I'll add those cities to the list ASAP.

About our UU, I still need to research the precise name of those knights in english. Since they were no longer Templars (Templars had been disbanded a long time ago), we must do it first. We can't just call it "Order of Christ" (even because it's kind of offensive to consider such name nowadays).

I can't remember any ancient commercial inteposts, but if we do some research, I'm sure we'll find some.

About the Portuguese history, well, I think you could mention Count Henrique, but our history really began when Afonso Henriques declared Portugal's independence in 1149. So you should focus the start from there.
Old November 19, 2001, 15:34   #49
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:41
It seems to me that Portugal (as much as no one likes it) is to Spain what Austria is to Germany. It is so much like Spain that the average bozo regards it as part of Spain. Though the Portuguese did get around, they never really had a stable empire. Their big thing was the slave trade actually. They were at one point pretty powerful, destroying some large African kingdoms, yes, but you've got to remember that those kingdoms fought with spears while the Portuguese fought with guns and cannon, so nations such as Benin didn't have much of a chance.
Old November 19, 2001, 15:56   #50
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
It seems to me that Portugal (as much as no one likes it) is to Spain what Austria is to Germany. It is so much like Spain that the average bozo regards it as part of Spain. Though the Portuguese did get around, they never really had a stable empire. Their big thing was the slave trade actually. They were at one point pretty powerful, destroying some large African kingdoms, yes, but you've got to remember that those kingdoms fought with spears while the Portuguese fought with guns and cannon, so nations such as Benin didn't have much of a chance.
And you call yourself a history guy?!?
Portugal was one of the first European countries to abolish slavery! If it was so important to the economy, do you think it would be abolished?!? Look at the US' civil war! The South didn't want to abolish slavery exactly for economic reasons!

And the battles Portugal was involved in Africa was (in the begining of the discoveries age) only in North Africa against well armed moors! And cannons weren't invented yet!
Now for sub-saharian territories, I know not of any military skirmish against the natives. Much unlike the British.
There was slave capture, but nothing involved military activity. Unlike the Spanish and its well known "colonization" of Mexico and South America...
Old November 19, 2001, 16:29   #51
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:41
I posted that actually to see the reaction, actually, more than for any other reason.

You are right that Portugal was one of the first European countries to abolish African slavery, but it was also one of the first European countries (if not the first) to discover it. For as soon as the Portuguese landed in Nigeria they were making war on, not only the Moors, but the Nigerian civilization of Benin. In the 1600s they were using cannon against Benin's forces, and cannon was most certainly about at that point. When parts Benin fell, the Portuguese took over and enslaved the population. It's true that they abolished slavery early on, but they also helped bring it about in Europe, perhaps not as much as the Dutch, but they certainly did. Sorry, but that's how it was.

I do not pretend that Americans didn't have slavery, and that the British didn't have slavery, and that the Spanish didn't had slavery, but I also do not pretend that the Portuguese didn't have it, which I will confess was fairly brief.
Old November 20, 2001, 05:45   #52
JayKay
Warlord

Quote:
You are right that Portugal was one of the first European countries to abolish African slavery, but it was also one of the first European countries (if not the first) to discover it.
I'm not sure of what you understand as slavery, but slavery exists since Feudalism or even since more ancient times (unfortunantly)! Aldo Portugal was one of the first nations that made more use of slave trade, Portugal wasn't the first or one of the first to discover it!

What i mean is:

Who built the Pyramids?
Slaves (+/- 2000 BC)!!

What were the Servants in Feudalism goverments in Europe in the Dark Ages?
Slaves!!

What were all servants in Greek, Macedonian Greek (for instance: in the time of Alexander, the Great) and Roman Empire?
Slaves!!

You see...servants are slaves too! Servs don't earn money or anything for what they do, and what they do and even the servants themselves are property of there Masters! I don't understand why you only refer slaves to those of Africa! They weren't the first you know, they were just the last!

Edit: I substitued Servs by Servants (english mistake...sorry)

Portugal

Last edited by JayKay; November 20, 2001 at 06:43.
Old November 20, 2001, 05:57   #53
Zealot
King

Quote:
I posted that actually to see the reaction, actually, more than for any other reason.
You naughty, naughty boy!

Quote:
For as soon as the Portuguese landed in Nigeria they were making war on, not only the Moors, but the Nigerian civilization of Benin. In the 1600s they were using cannon against Benin's forces, and cannon was most certainly about at that point
I didn't know that. Portugal, from 1580 to 1640, were under Spanish dominance.

Last edited by Zealot; November 20, 2001 at 07:24.
Old November 20, 2001, 06:26   #54
Ecowiz Returns
Chieftain

Quote:
It seems to me that Portugal (as much as no one likes it) is to Spain what Austria is to Germany.
Portugal is not a single bit to Spain what Austria is to Germany! Portugal is 800 years old (even under a Spanish King, the title was King of Spain and Portugal). Austria and Germany were once a single country. That hystorically never happened between Portugal and Spain other than under Roman rulling (and by then they weren't yet Portugal and Spain were they).

Quote:
It is so much like Spain that the average bozo regards it as part of Spain.
The last part of your comment is, unfortunatelly very true. The main reason, though is very wrong! It's not due to similarities but solelly due to lack of information an "average bozo" has on Portugal.

Quote:
Though the Portuguese did get around, they never really had a stable empire.
WHAT???
For more than four centuries Portugal, with the minor territory it always had, and so few population had phisical representation in all corners of the known world.
Heck, the Portuguese made the World known to everybody!
What exactly is your definition of a stable empire anyway?

Quote:
Their big thing was the slave trade actually. They were at one point pretty powerful, destroying some large African kingdoms, yes, but you've got to remember that those kingdoms fought with spears while the Portuguese fought with guns and cannon, so nations such as Benin didn't have much of a chance.
Guns??? In the XV and XVI century? Whose?
And, actually, what you are talking about is technological superiority. And, as you could testify in the previous posts, the Portuguese greatest unit was a non-military one!
Trade was the activity we were best! And it was not only slaves (not very important in the beginning, only became important when the american colonies begun) but capturing the commercial routes of silk and spices that made Portugal (along with Spain) the strongest nation in the XV and XVI centuries (give or take some years ).
As for slaves, I believe my countrymen allready explained that part.

Portuguese hystory is not your strongest point, is it History Guy?

Keep reading this thread. Hopefully some people may help you a bit, on that.
Old November 20, 2001, 06:42   #55
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecowiz Returns
Keep reading this thread. Hopefully some people may help you a bit, on that.
I'm always at everyone's disposal!
Old November 20, 2001, 07:16   #56
Jay Bee
staff

This is getting amusing

Come on Zealot, you mention the period of Spanish dominance for the bad things (Benin affair, as if Spain had anything to do with that) and forget all the rest, e.g. w/o that period of "Spanish dominance" Brazil would have never been what is today (Tordesillas Treaty anyone?).

Ecowiz, as much as I agree with you that Austria vs Germany has absolutely nothing to do with Spain vs Portugal, to say that historically Portugal and Spain were not a single country except for the Roman years is absurd. As I posted above, 2200 years out of 3000, Portugal and Spain have been together. You just can't forget that.

---

Seriously now, I am really enjoying this thread, it helps me see many things from the other side. That you perceive the infamous 60 years as a "period of Spanish dominance" is very enlightening for me. Let me ask you, what would have happened if Philip II (Philip I) actually moved his capital to Lisbon, as many of his advisors strongly suggested?

(We should have had this discussion in... you know which forum ).
Old November 20, 2001, 07:27   #57
JayKay
Warlord

Quote:
Let me ask you, what would have happened if Philip II (Philip I) actually moved his capital to Lisbon, as many of his advisors strongly suggested?
I don't think the Spanish would like that, and they would probably revolt against Philip II and murder him!

But what do you think? And why are you asking?

Portugal
Old November 20, 2001, 07:34   #58
Zealot
King

Quote:
Come on Zealot, you mention the period of Spanish dominance for the bad things
Bad things? What bad things?

Quote:
Let me ask you, what would have happened if Philip II (Philip I) actually moved his capital to Lisbon, as many of his advisors strongly suggested?
Not even his beautiful name would save him from getting killed!

Quote:
(We should have had this discussion in... you know which forum ).
Yes, maybe we should, before someone successfully thread jacks this thread!
Old November 20, 2001, 07:38   #59
Jay Bee
staff

The Spanish at that time were not as homogeneous as you seem to think. The Aragonese would not have cared at all. And I seem to suspect that neither the Castilians.

Lisboa was clearly the most important Iberian city (both politically and geograpghically) at that time, so it probably would not have been a bad idea. I have read in many English history books that had Philip II had done that, the Spanish (Iberian) empire would probably lasted much longer.

Sorry, I have to go. More later
Old November 20, 2001, 08:22   #60
Martinus
Prince

Quote:
That was also Itoi's idea, but he didn't play the game yet. And I think you didn't too.
I have been playing Civ3 for the last two weeks.
Quote:
Although Caravels were pretty used by the Portuguese, in the game that UU wouldn't make the play any fun! Because:
1. Your unique unit must have its first military victory in order to that civilization enter its golden age;
You can also enter GA peacefully. Besides if you get boosted-up Caraval in the age everybody else has sails (this is what I propose to rename the generic caravel) you should be able to win. It is just like with Man'o'Wars.
Quote:
2. Caravels aren't properly military units;
see supra
Quote:
3. You don't need boats to trade resources in Civ 3 like you need in real life!
Yeah, but you need to discover see routes to build harbors etc. - Caravel could be good for this (it could be faster than Sail for example)
Quote:
In those battles, the King of Portugal had the support of an "Order of Christ". They were Knights, that were former Templars, and had the support of the "Church". It's all in the link I posted above.
Yeah, it is a unique unit, but IMHO the real power of Portugal lied in its sea power, not land power. English, Dutch, Spanish and Portugese built their empires on the sea-"something" (sea-trade, sea-exploration, sea-warfare etc.). The CSU should reflect this.
Quote:
Oh, and yes, it's "carvalho" (you guys are making me one happy portuguese! how did you learn this things?)
Something you learn playing a lot of strategy games