Old November 13, 2001, 10:42   #1
Kristjan
Warlord

Local Time: 16:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3 corruption model, colonies and other things -- PLEASE read & answer!
Hello

After some meditation I finally succeeded in understanding the logic behind civ3 corruption. It makes sense to me now, but it seems that it is applied historically not correctly as many other excellent ideas are in civ3. If someone has already noted all this, I would be happy to get a link to that thread.

The main idea behind corruption concept is to make sense between mother country and its colonies like it was in the history. Great Britain used its colonies mainly for resources , not industrail power. Straw materials were shipped to GB and used by its factories. BTW, that exploitive economic doctrine was one of the reasons of American Revolution.

Therefore, an over-sea colony should constitute of some little cities with harbors and many colonies and military outposts. That would be historically quite correct. There should be some improvements in the late Industrial age to allow colonies to develop independently, but not earlier.

History provides many examples about great empires in the same continent before Industrial Age. Holy Roman Empire was extremely corrupt, in fact it constituted of countless quasi-states over many the Kaiser had only nominal power. There were three of them in Estonia alone. Roman and Byzantine Empires were stronger but it can be said that Romans and Greek were just Commercial civs if we use civ3 terminology. The Hellenic state of Alexander the Great dissolved shortly after his death and was hold together by his remarkable figure only. The Inca empire was remarkably well-ordered with low corruption and Topa Inca had a extremely good oversight over his domain, but it had already started to degenerate when the Spaniards came. One can say that it had its Golden Age before that.

Now the suggestions part.

1) There should be a way to reduce corruption in late Industrial and Modern times. Can be achieved with 3-4 new Small Wonders similar to Forbidden Palace or city improvements. All achieveable with civ3editor.

2) There should be a greater variety of luxury resources to encourage the colonization to get them. The availability of these resources should depend on latitude and longitude to avoid the possibility of a relatively small continent having them all. It is possible to add a resource but the locations have to be set with map editor. It would be a good idea to develop a map of Earth with very many lux. resource types. And last but not least, the role of lux. resources should be greater. All achieveable with civ3editor. Up to Firaxis to create a dependancy between resources and their location.

3) In Mobilization mode, there should be much less corruption than in normal mode and the Mob mode should be available earlier, already in the Ancient era. It would give an interesting alternative to existing Government types, something like Fundamentalism, but harder to manage as building infrastructure is severely limited. It is up to Firaxis to reduce corruption in Mobilization mode. We can add a new gov type with little corruption but I do not know how to add a mechanism to force the player to change it. I definitely do not want to see Improved Empires to last from 1500 BC to 1983 AD for instance. Unfortunately there is no way to make gov types obsolete though it should be clear that there is absolutely no way to force Modern society into Ancient-style tribal Despotism or Theocracy. Conclusion -- gov. types becoming obsolete feature is badly needed, Firaxis, could you...?

4) There should be much less corruption during Golden Ages. That would make great and well-ordered Ancient states like Inca Empire possible. Up to Firaxis to do this.

5) Colonies -- there should be a way to draft some militia from them. They do have some population, after all. Think about Indian wars in early era of American colonization. Up to Firaxis to do this.

I would love to receive ideas about new ways to improve colonization and corruption models with civ3editor. That's why the title of the thread...
Old November 13, 2001, 12:52   #2
Ray K
Prince

Local Time: 11:42
Re: Civ3 corruption model, colonies and other things -- PLEASE read & answer!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kristjan

4) There should be much less corruption during Golden Ages. That would make great and well-ordered Ancient states like Inca Empire possible. Up to Firaxis to do this.
Now that is a great idea. I would go as far to suggest that, during a golden age, there is no corruption at all. It only lasts 20 turns but it would really make it a golden age
Old November 13, 2001, 17:05   #3
Kristjan
Warlord

bump
Old November 13, 2001, 17:44   #4
The Eliminator
Warlord

Local Time: 10:42
Corruption is a very good thing up until Democracy. There is no way that you should have plenty of shields and lots'a coin from cities far away from you if you are running Despot, Monarch, Commie, or even Republic - no matter what new wonder is constructed. I don't have a problem with it at all, but I sure do with Democracy.

There should be some corruption in Democracy, but I think the most corruption should be in your capital city, not the other ones. Anyone who follows politics knows that there is more corruption in Ottawa than in Edmonton, or Washington than in Seattle.
Old November 14, 2001, 14:11   #5
Kristjan
Warlord

Mark, please move that thread
Should be moved into Creation directory, I guess.

Kristjan@learning.rules