Old November 13, 2001, 16:51   #1
hwinkels
Settler

Local Time: 11:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Speed up Production
Here's something I tried that seems to work to speed up production without paying for a rush job. I started a new city in between 2 others controlled by the AI. I wanted my culture to increase so I might eventually persuade the other citys' citizens to join me. The first thing I told it to build was a temple, and it told me it would take 11 turns.

This was too long to suit me so I tried to hurry production on it but the cost was way too much to afford. This game was in the mid-1800's where riflemen had become available, and I noticed I had some extra sword men hanging around from a war about 60 years ago. I took some of them by boat to my new city and planted them all in the center square. I opened the city screen and saw many more shields still needed to finish the temple. I started to disband the sword men and each time I did it they were good for about 7 shields each. After doing this to 3 or 4 of them I had gotten it down to 1 turn for the temple. So that and maybe 2 or 3 turns to get the surplus sword men to the city adds up to 3 or 4 turns instead of 11.

I got the temple built pretty quickly, it didn't cost any gold, I got rid of a bunch of sword men I didn't need anymore. I want to try this in a high-corruption city to see if the results are as dramatic, or if the disbanding shields go to waste. Seems to be useful on the Monarch level at least.
Old November 13, 2001, 17:28   #2
ken01
Settler

Local Time: 08:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
That strategy works very well once you have flight.

Build a bomber in one of your main cities. Fly it over to an outpost. Disband, add some cash and viola! temple/library for cheap.