Old January 11, 2001, 23:45   #1
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:13
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I need a map; assistance?
I concede! Having attempted repeatedly to create a map to suit my new scenario, I just can't come up w/something that looks right. Can anyone help w/this? I need a map of the south Pacific region that has the Bismarck Archipeligo at its upper left corner, the New Caledonia in the lower right corner, the Solomon island chain including the Santa Cruz islands in the middle, and the coral sea taking up most of the bottom with a large water area north of the Solomons too. Inclusion of eastern New Guinea is ok, but leave off Australia. There shouldn't be much land in this map, and the scenario won't be driven by production, science, or economy, so don't worry about what the map editor says about it (the map).

any takers?
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
"a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
"or a very good liar." --Stefu
Old January 12, 2001, 10:57   #2
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Would you be making a scenario of Guadalcannal?
Old January 12, 2001, 16:55   #3
Exile
King

Yes, Henrik, that is my intention. However, the plan is to make it a Solomons campaign scenario, not simply a Guadalcanal scen. Although Guadalcanal was the initial landing place, the campaign itself streched into the coming months as the US Navy, Marines, and Army units "leapfrogged" up the island chain, eventually launching attacks on various other islands in the Solomon chain and even along the north coast of New Guinea. A lot of unit-types were involved in this campaign, including even paratroops! The scenario will have an event-driven reinforcement schedule rather than production. The "cities" primary purpose in the scen will be to repair damaged units, not produce more. The scenario will also be of relatively short duration. I would like the map to be large, however; the 75 x 125 size, so that searching the seas for enemy vessels will not be routine and easy. I will be experimenting w/(comparatively) long-range fighter and bomber units and I would even like to find historically-accurate unit graphics.

But first, a map.

Wrestling w/creation, yet again,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
Old January 12, 2001, 17:05   #4
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Bad thing that I aint skilled at drawing maps then
Hope you find a map-maker though, the scenario sounds cool.
Old January 12, 2001, 18:44   #5
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Making a good mao really is not that hard. It requires a lot of patience and a map in Bitmap or Jpeg Format.
Next you put an isometric grid over it and then all you do is counting squares. It's time consuming but not very hard. If I would know for sure that I would lose interest in making one for you I'd do it myself, however, right now I am far too busy with other real life occupations. But to get a better look at making maps check out Mercators Civ 2 Site which can be at http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/civ2/ It has a great guide on how to easily make maps and also explains it a lot better.

To find online imagines of maps try some of my resource links on my Civ 2 website http://members.nbci.com/thalys/
Go to the resource page and scroll down to the end of the page, there you will will several links to websites that feature map imagies of all kinds.

The PCL Mapcollection is really great...

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
http://members.nbci.com/thalys
Old January 12, 2001, 19:47   #6
Exile
King

I know both your site, Mattias, and Mercator's and I've been to them both many times. Great work. I saw your map collection links just recently and spent several hours perusing them. About the map; I am so lazy. Just wondering if someone had already made a map of the region. I'll get to it myself.

Thanks,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America