Old November 13, 2001, 19:01   #1
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 16:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
better late than never: My two cents
Better late than never, my 2 cents.

FYI: These are just my personal opinions and observations. I’m not *****ing and whining, I like the game. So please refrain from flaming me if I say something you don’t agree with.

First off, I’d like to say I’ve read a few posts where some people said that CTP was a better game. HA! Activision should take notes….Civ3 is what CTP2 should have been. It doesn’t matter though since Activision treats civ fans like crap by not supporting their product.

Corruption needs to be toned down a bit. I understand its purpose of reigning in the player from just exploding all over the map, but it makes it really difficult to do anything early on in the game. I’ve got a democratic government in my current game and I have a city on an island right off of my coast that generates barely 2 shields out of 10. Its not that far from my capitol! For that matter, in a war back in medieval times I took some cities from the French and they can barely squeak out anything, even now in modern times. I built courthouses and police stations and still those cities suck. I’m not saying take corruption out of the game, but please Firaxis scale it down a bit. I feel like I’m being punished for having launched a successful campaign. In a war they started by the way.

I love the diplomacy in this game. No more “You REJECT our generous offer? Prepare for WAR!!!” from the AI. Kind of. The War that started between me and France was because they landed a musketeer and an archer right in front of one of my cities. For no reason I can think of except to tick me off. I asked them to leave (and the only option given was “OR DECLARE WAR”. I’ve said it before but I’d like an option of “To maintain between our great nations, please remove your troops immediately”.) Well, they declared war and even managed to kill one of my riflemen. I’d just like to know why the French AI did this. Did they want a war? What did it hope to gain? For that matter, France and Germany seem to have formed an alliance to kick people’s ass, and I’m usually one of their targets, but they limit their attacks to a few naval bombardments. Why don’t they actually try a coordinated assualt? They might actually do more than annoy me. I ‘ve heard tales of really good invasions by the AI, but I’ve not seen one yet. (then again, the night is young)

Also I wonder if the AI actually lies. In SMAC I’ve had rival factions outright lie to me and stab me in the back when I least expected it. I don’t know if the Civ3 AI can or will do that. I hope so. Well, I do know they lie a little. Cleopatra lied about removing her troops. But will the AI actually lie about right of passage agreements and stuff. I’ll admit I wondered about it when I agreed to share one with Rome. They were blasting the Japanese off of the planet but they had to cross my borders to do it. I asked Caesar to stop violating my borders and he agreed quickly to stop. I then told him I’d allow RoP if he paid me 35 gold per turn. He agreed to that but then I wondered if he might decide to position his troops in my heartland and attack. He didn’t but it was interesting to consider.

I like the fact that bombers can’t destroy units. I think they should be able to destroy ships, but I’m not too upset about it. I AM upset that my fighters don’t do anything when I set them for Air superiority. The French fighters can shoot down my bombers! But mine won’t do anything., even when the French bombed a city with two fighter based in it using about fifteen bombers! (They destroyed EVERY terrain improvement in 1 turn!)

I too have been frustrated when I lack a vital strategic resource. But that’s part of the game. But I get pretty pissed when one civ has a monopoly! I had one game where the Aztecs had EVERY single source of saltpeter on the planet. And it wasn’t spread out.

And my biggest nitpick….I’ve already posted it before when I was frustrated with it here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...did=33738….war wearinness. Ok, I think it’s a great concept. But the way it is now all a rival has to do to stop a democratic civ from producing anything is declare war and wait. That’s it. Eventually the democratic civ will go apesh*t from war weariness. I tried it using a save from the game I had trouble in. I canned all of my Mutual Protection pacts and waited until the French finally got pissed at me again and declared war. (I guess because I’ve pretty much paid most of the others to embargo them) Now, they bombarded a city a few times and bombed the vrap out of my island cities, but I didn’t do anything back. No counter attack, just defensive moves to minimize the damage. Eventually my people went berserk. That’s just silly. I can understand maybe reduced production…maybe even a few riots….but 90% of my cities went into disorder and started smashing improvements. When I tried to ask for peace the French refused to speak to me. So the disorder continued because I couldn’t make peace. If someone carpet bombed Florida and refused to stop attacking would the american citizens decide to topple the Washington Monument and set fire to the Smithsonian even after the president tried to make peace and took no offensive action? Someone commented that the AI used a good strategy. I’ll say….it worked well, but its nonsensical. If theres a solution to it in the game besides the requirement of making peace I don’t know about it, but I hope this is addressed in the patch. Maybe if a democratic civ that didn’t start the war and tries to sue for peace should be given the option of imposing martial law to quell the disorder for a set amount of turns, or a democratic civ that’s been attacked should get more time before the disorder kicks in on larger maps. I like to play on large maps so it really sucked when I was attacked the first time in my little experiment. By the time I got a force to the enemy shores my homeland was in disarray.

The UN wonder should give the builder the option of requesting a civ stop a war with another war. No garauntees that the other civ will agree, but I watched the romans obliterate the Japanese and I couldn’t do anything about it. Damn. And the Japanese were buying oil from me for a tidy profit!

Well, those are just my opinions. Good or bad that’s what I think.