Old January 7, 2001, 02:13   #1
ruoxiaohai
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The description part of wonders etc.
Umm....mine aren't there. I have FW addon, does this have something to do with it?
I'd really like to know. I've looked in pedia.txt but it's not there, that file only tells you what the improvement/item is for and what it does in the game. The pedia folder didn't yield anything new either. (If you are completely confused, I'm talking about the bit in the civilopedia where you click on the description button and it is *supposed* to show some...er...description?)
Yes, insight would be nice.
Old January 7, 2001, 02:40   #2
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:43
Try here for an overview. It's the pedia.txt file that needs editing and inclusion in your scenario folder.
Old January 7, 2001, 04:41   #3
Snog
Warlord

I prefer not to do it the way cam shows in his link, because I have seen instances of the description being cut off because it is larger than the window it appears in, and civ II provides no scroll bar for the pop-up civilopedia entries.

Another option is to copy "describe.txt" into your scenario directory and edit it. Then your descriptions will appear when the "description" button is pressed in a seperate window with a scroll bar. When you edit "describe.txt" replace your description with the description of the wonder you are replacing; don't try to change the order of the wonder descriptions or you may get unexpected results.
Old January 7, 2001, 05:21   #4
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 20:13
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Not to make myself sound too much like Captain Horatio, but I have to say "I see no describe.txt". Is this something exclusive to versions of CV after FW?
Old January 7, 2001, 05:58   #5
Snog
Warlord

Hmm... well I have civ2 MGE, so I'm not sure, but I just assumed it was set up the same way because you say you didnt find the descriptions in the pedia.txt file (they aren't there in MGE either).

We are looking for the part that pops up when you click the "description" button right? In MGE that is contained in "describe.txt." Maybe it's not accesible in earlier versions? Does anyone know?
Old January 7, 2001, 14:11   #6
SCDARS
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 01:13
quote:

Originally posted by blinder2451 on 01-07-2001 12:50 PM
All versions of Civ 2 have a describe file for the civilopedia (for new units and technology descriptions)...

They all might have a pedia.txt, but the describe.txt does not work with other versions than MGE/ UCC and ToT; if you want to edit the text, you would instead have to edit the bunch of files in your [i]pedia[i]-subfolder of civ2 - which I dont's recommend, since there is a lot of work involved and you still won't get the desired results - as changing pictures is much too tedious and so on... [If you wanted this modified original pedia to be displayed, you would even have to abdandon using pedia.txt]
Old January 8, 2001, 01:50   #7
blinder2451
Settler

All versions of Civ 2 have a describe file for the civilopedia (for new units and technology descriptions).

My copy of Call to Power 2 does not have one !!
Old January 9, 2001, 17:44   #8
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:13
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Yeah, the Multiplayer Gold makes it much easier to manipulate the actual descriptions. I've been slowly compiling a Sci-Fi modpack over the course of months, and I'm writing (or trying to write) a description of each new improvement, technology, unit, government, and wonder. It's all in the describe.txt file.

I have heard, however, that in the original version of Civ 2, the descriptions were scattered around into a series of files. I don't know if they're plain ASCII files or not, but I suspect they are, and they may be changeable.

But if you're dead set on editing the descriptions, go for the Multiplayer Gold Edition. It's dirt cheap by now.
Old January 13, 2001, 00:45   #9
Panda
Prince

The problem described by Snog with the boxes getting cut off is also exclusive to MGE. I know Cam uses FW.