Old November 14, 2001, 03:16   #1
Ancientfool
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Amusing to see all the worshipful reviews...
I understand that Firaxis maybe didnt do a rigorous beta test but do these game mag/site reviewers actually play a complete game? More than one? They seem so worshipful and rarely seem to notice the bugs or balance issues. Feel like im reading movie reviews for Titanic.
Old November 14, 2001, 03:29   #2
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 10:45
Amusing to see all the pointless trolls...
Don't like the game? Great!

Make constructive criticism on the right channels, e-mail Firaxis your bugs and complaints.

Don't spam these boards, some of us are trying to use them for their original purpose.

Old November 14, 2001, 03:33   #3
Ancientfool
Chieftain

Um, I like the game. Just pointing out that game magazine/reviewers dont seem to notice many/any gameplay problems.

If you are too sensitive to come to grips with posts you dont like or agree with maybe you shouldnt play on the internet. Either that or cut back on the coffee.
Old November 14, 2001, 03:34   #4
GNGSpam
Warlord

5 forum topics below yours

How Firaxis could've implemented Civil War
(not a rave or a rant, suggestion)

The Great Suckness Of Diplomacy
(complaint)

Possible XP Bug ?
(bug report)

Technological Superiority Doesn't Matter in War
(complaint)

Guess what I bought in Korea?
(talking about the game in Korea)

so lets seem 1 suggestion, 2 complaints, 1 bug report, and something unrelated

yep lots of worshipping going on here
Old November 14, 2001, 03:37   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 12:45
He's talking about the official reviews, which have been useless as always.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 14, 2001, 03:39   #6
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
Civilization III is a monument to good, solid game design.
That's just one of the more useless phrases loosely thrown about when talking about Civ3.

Old November 14, 2001, 03:41   #7
GNGSpam
Warlord

In that regard I guess he is right, Game Reviews are like Movie Reviews, pointless.

But thats kind of a "duh"
Old November 14, 2001, 03:41   #8
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Ancientfool
Um, I like the game. Just pointing out that game magazine/reviewers dont seem to notice many/any gameplay problems.

If you are too sensitive to come to grips with posts you dont like or agree with maybe you shouldnt play on the internet. Either that or cut back on the coffee.
Oh gosh, my bad!

So whining that some game reviewers don't seem to notice any gameplay problems is indeed useful to the community and very interesting to read.

Carry on!
Old November 14, 2001, 03:43   #9
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Aher: Forget to take your annoying pill today? The guy has every right to post his observations, good or bad, about any aspect of Civ3, including the reviews.

Go tweak your hardware or something, big guy.

Old November 14, 2001, 03:44   #10
Ancientfool
Chieftain

Fanboy alert, fanboy alert... hard to port.

um, what part of "offical gamemag reviews" do you not understand? Does your dislexia interpret this as "forum reviews by joe shmoe"...? Thats a serious reading disability.

Probaby too late to avoid upsetting the natives but.. My only point is to show that the many more-or-less official net reviews seem to be rather fawning and dont make mention of even the easily discovered gameplay/bug problems. This is a comment on their skills as reviewers, not on the game itself.
Old November 14, 2001, 03:47   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Aher: Forget to take your annoying pill today? The guy has every right to post his observations, good or bad, about any aspect of Civ3, including the reviews.

I check this forum occasionally to see if the whiney brats have moved on yet, and this thread was on top.

There's an entire thread in the OT dedicated to people waiting to re-enter the Civ3 general forum once all of the whiners leave. Then we can actually use it without wading through wads of spam.

Quote:
Fanboy alert, fanboy alert... hard to port.
Erm, yeah, I'm the biggest Firaxis fanboy around.

If you must know, I only own two Firaxis games: SMAC and Civ3. SMAC wasn't fun at all for me, I didn't agree with the reviews for it, but you didn't see me going to SMAC-General and making trolls like this.

I don't think Civ3 is really an "excellent" game, but it's a good game. I enjoy playing it, and I want to use the forums to talk about it.

I don't want to see threads by "Captain Obvious" pointing out stupid things that really doesn't matter to anyone.

Old November 14, 2001, 03:50   #12
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Asher: Stay in OT, please. Things were fine in this thread until you brought your garbage in here. And criticism of the game or pointing out the uselessness of many of the reviews is not spam.

What you are posting here, however, is.

Old November 14, 2001, 03:52   #13
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Ah, yin, your post would be valid if he criticized the game.

What did he criticize in the game?

Nothing.

He's criticizing magazine reviewers, which is not Civ3, which means it's spam.
Old November 14, 2001, 03:53   #14
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

So, let's not talk about the development of the game, Firaxis / Infogrames, a host of other Civ3 RELATED items just to keep you happy? Sorry. Start your own forum.

Old November 14, 2001, 03:55   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
So, let's not talk about the development of the game, Firaxis / Infogrames, a host of other Civ3 RELATED items just to keep you happy? Sorry. Start your own forum.
I have my own forums. I just keep that crowd seperate from this one.

And what exactly is up for discussion in this thread?
NOTHING.

It, like most other threads in this forum, are a bunch of newbie whiners finding something to troll about.
Old November 14, 2001, 03:57   #16
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Step One: Asher makes his own forum and posts to himself.

Step Two: We have some civil discussions here without him.

Old November 14, 2001, 03:58   #17
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

You're still the master whiner. I remember you whining about Civ3 months before it even came out. Go figure you don't understand the concepts of "take it or leave it".
Old November 14, 2001, 03:58   #18
Ancientfool
Chieftain

crazy mon, crazy.
Old November 14, 2001, 03:59   #19
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Asher: Read my review to see what I think. Read your posts here to see what a trolling spammer does.

Old November 14, 2001, 04:02   #20
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Asher: Read my review to see what I think. Read your posts here to see what a trolling spammer does.
I don't care for reviews of any type. Never did.
I totally skip those threads.

Trolling spammer? Guilty as charged.
Old November 14, 2001, 04:07   #21
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Ancientfool: While I think the reviewers are more than free to give the 90%+ scores, etc., to not at least know about and mention the number of 'issues' in the game makes them seem totally worthless as reviewers.

Which begs the very question you asked: Did they actually play the game more than once? Did they decide just by the Sid name on the box that they *had* to be good and slanted the review in consequence?

Considering that a number of people will buy the game off those official reviews, I find them misleading. Then again, anybody who trusts official reviews instead of coming to a fansite and trying to sort out the good and the bad deserves whatever is in the box.

Old November 14, 2001, 04:10   #22
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I love satire
On the other hand, reviewers tend to wear socks which may or may not influence how they play their games and which types of bugs they encounter. Firaxis must ship them special socks to play their games with, so they do not run into these problems.

Old November 14, 2001, 04:36   #23
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:45
Quote:

Yin, I also laughed at e.g. Bane's review (argh, he seems to be Serbian too haha), but I guess all Asher was grumbling against was 50 topics per day and some useful topics being scrolled off board.

I am really not into labelling people, nor is my post count really the reflection of my contribution to the boards (ratings are useless, as you surely know, your Majesty) but it is kinda funny to see Settler, under 20 post count posting immediately a new thread. they do not even bother to scroll down a bit.

asher might have overreacted and probably i did too while creating a 'collated whining thread" but it takes me about 15 minutes to find yesterday's topics in the flurry of new threads.....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 14, 2001, 05:54   #24
MisterMuppet
Chieftain

LaRusso makes an interesting point. As a European I tend to see the same people actively posting every day.
Anyway I digress.

Q. PC Magazine Reviews as biased as Film Reviews ?
A. No, not yet. anyway.

Basically I find a PC review magazine that tends to agree with my point of view and I read that. It is the same as a newspaper, you don't read one that disagrees with you all the time. Good journalism should occasionally challenge the readers perceptions, but not to the degree of alienating its core readership. If a PC review magazine kept giving inaccurate reviews no one would read it.
Old November 14, 2001, 06:57   #25
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I understand people being upset about coming here and finding criticism, some of it quite sophomoric. Of course, some of the praise is equally lame. The only way to deal with this (well, one way) is to have a "Rant About Why You Think Civ3 Is Broken" forum.

I have seen some forums use that effectively to simply move rant threads there so moderate to positive threads stay active longer.

Old November 14, 2001, 08:58   #26
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 17:45
I also take issue with the quality of review most magazines produce. The only one that seemed more often than not to give quality advice has now been bought out. Presumably the costs associated with actually allowing their journalists to play games for a reasonable length of time made it less cost efficient.

This thread wasn't a rant so the General forum seems to be the perfect place for it, being about Civ 3 in a general way. By taking exception to its contents and counterposting you are only making your own prophecy self fulfilling by ensuring your own rude spam clogs up the front page.
Old November 14, 2001, 10:22   #27
Wrong_shui
Warlord

Is this asher person important?

I dont like him.

But yin sounds cool.
Old November 14, 2001, 21:27   #28
n.c.
Emperor

Local Time: 11:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
I enjoy playing it, and I want to use the forums to talk about it.
How about you post a list of approved topics.
Old November 14, 2001, 21:34   #29
Setsuna
Warlord

Local Time: 11:45
I expect the PC Gamer review will be less than forgiving.

If not, well.. It was a nice magazine while it lasted.
Old November 14, 2001, 21:35   #30
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

How about topics that aren't whinefests (Do you really think Firaxis reads those?).

Topics that are actually related to Civ3 ('Which special unit is the best?', 'Democracy vs. Communism in Civ3', etc).

Topics that don't consist of a bunch of people going "Yeah Firaxis dropped the ball on this one, this sucks"

Topics that don't involve a bunch of "I hate this, this this and this but like this this and this and this but this is bad, i hate that, but its okay like this" and no more. This is what we call pointless and a troll.