Old November 14, 2001, 04:19   #1
Mookie
Settler

Local Time: 17:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
raze or keep?
Can I stop a city on another continent to revert back to it's formal owner or should I always raze cities that I take that is far away from my capitol?

Please help me
Old November 14, 2001, 04:28   #2
Monoriu
Warlord

Local Time: 16:45
I always raze, unless the city has a wonder in it.

Most of my captured cities have pop.1 and no city improvements because I usually bombarded them with 20+ artillery for 2 turns before I attack. So why risk a revolt when I can easily produce a settler and found a new city?
Old November 14, 2001, 04:40   #3
Mookie
Settler

Yes, but is it really the revolting citizen that is the problem? They disappear fairly fast. Isn't it the culture of the other country that is the problem? If I want to keep it, what should I do?
Old November 14, 2001, 04:48   #4
Monoriu
Warlord

No, not just the resisting citizens. If they are of a different nationality, then they have a much higher chance of revolting. And they never disappear.

If you really want to keep it, do these:

1. Rush build culture buildings in it.
2. Garrison the city with a lot of cheap units, but don't put a lot of expensive units in it. If it revolts, they will go poof.
3. (not sure if this is effective) I build a lot of settlers and workers from these cities, hopefully the foreign citizens will decrease. Any new citizens will be of your nationality.
4. Destroy the original owner of the city as soon as possible
5. Make sure the citizens are happy. We love the king day works wonders.
6. Absolutely no civil disorders.
Old November 14, 2001, 04:56   #5
Mookie
Settler

Thanks!
Old November 14, 2001, 04:57   #6
Monoriu
Warlord

Welcome. Don't blame me if they don't work
Old November 14, 2001, 05:10   #7
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:45
um, while building settlers and workers, bring in your workers (of your nationality) and join them in a city (colonization a la russians in the baltic states). if anyone thinks that this is unrealistic, ask solver
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 14, 2001, 05:46   #8
Mookie
Settler

Great idea Can't wait until I get home so I can try it out...
Old November 14, 2001, 06:21   #9
LRotan
Chieftain

I usually raze and if I really want to, build another city where it used to be. I use the scorched earth policy, which works surprisingly well. Trying to build up, defend, or subdue captured cities really puts a hamper on war efforts.

And before anyone starts harping on me about genocide, if they go to war with me, they're asking for it. That's what war is. I don't play nice when someone picks a fight.

LaRusso is dead on with the workers joining cities tactic if you really want to keep the city, though.

LR
Old November 14, 2001, 09:16   #10
Honour_Shogun
Settler

Local Time: 11:45
With the effect of corruption in captured cities, would it not seem like a better idea to raze the city? And then just have one of your "uber-cities" pump out some settlers to colonize the area? Then no foreign devils to sully your empire (Ach, Kidding, kidding. Would not want the PC police to jump on my head for my remarks
Old November 14, 2001, 09:29   #11
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 12:45
I have never razed a city, and I was glad, until i conquered the french. I was unaware of their 'other' base on anohter island and i conquered all their cities in one place, and half of them have already reoined! needless to say, i have rush-built something every turn in the remaining cities, be it a temple or INfantry
Old November 14, 2001, 09:35   #12
Civ Dave
Chieftain

I found that, if you can afford to do it, is better to raze the crap out of every city in a given area, and then refound cities there. 90% of the time.

Sure, I usually have enough money to buy culture improvements, but do I really want to?

BTW, is there a disband city option? cause I take over mostly small cities (for some reason, they don't like being bombed.... strange ) and if I could disband it and make a settler in exchange, I'd be happy

oh, and back to my origonal note: I am fighting the americans, and I kept the cities that are on MY continent, but as soon as I go to fight on American soil (relax guys, its in the game.... not real life) I will raze....

so overall..... colonies=take over, "homeland" cities=raze and build new
Old November 14, 2001, 09:52   #13
Honour_Shogun
Settler

Actually, has anyone ever managed to bomb a city into oblivion? I mean, onr game, as the French, I had 36 bombers in one city(god, I love shift-r for them. Re base them on the front lines, hehe). So every turn, I bomb the crap outta them, and yet, it did not do a damn thing. Sure, some improvements are gone, some pop too, but I want to be able to bomb a city into oblivion. Just sedn 50 bombers to the city in question, and it should be possible. But the question is, is it? Curious, s'all
Old November 14, 2001, 09:57   #14
Civ Dave
Chieftain

for one reason or another, bombers don't
a) kill cities entirerly, it will always keep at least one pop
or b) kill units fully

If I had known this before I attacked, I could have taken most of the american cities by now, instead of attacking with 35 bombers on a galleon
Old November 14, 2001, 10:01   #15
Grumbold
Emperor

What a sneaky tactic. I thought you had to wait until carriers to put bombers on your naval vessels
Old November 14, 2001, 10:20   #16
Grunthex
Warlord

Local Time: 09:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Civ Dave

BTW, is there a disband city option? cause I take over mostly small cities (for some reason, they don't like being bombed.... strange ) and if I could disband it and make a settler in exchange, I'd be happy
If we ever get a FAQ set up, this needs to go in it. You can disband a city of size 2 or less with a settler, or size 1 with a worker. The key is there must be *0 food growth or less*. So if the city is making ANY surplus food, they will not disband, and will delay. If 0 or less, you get the standard menu asking whether to Abandon, Delay or ... uh, something else I never use.
Old November 14, 2001, 10:40   #17
Civ Dave
Chieftain

grum: *grumbles*

grun: thanks although, not sure how much help that'll be.... I'll just destroy them all anyways!!!!
*evil laugh*
Old November 14, 2001, 11:08   #18
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Fence sitter here...

This is one of the gameplay issues that is forcing me to question whether civ3 is worth getting. After all, if it is a much better strategy to raze a captured city rather than attempt to hold onto it, then this takes away from the playability of the game.

And before anyone says that this is based on historical evidence, (yes, I know, there is ample evidence that cities were destroyed by conquering nations), the problem lies with the fact that this strategy is the 'preferred' method to deal with the issue, especially with cities that are on other continents. If a player is forced to RB certain improvements/units to quell revolts, fine, but reports are saying that even when players do all this, revolts still happen.

Don't forget, lessening the chances of revolts will also work in favor of the AI.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...