Old November 14, 2001, 11:53   #1
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 18:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Prepare your PC for Civ III - Rasbelin's tips
Civ III will be soon out on the European market. One European apoytoner told earlier that he was preparing for the release and installation of the game. That gave me the idea to summarise some hints on how to prepare you PC for the new game.

1. Check that your PC fulfills the minimun requirements. Windows 9x/ME/2000/XP, PII 300 MHz, 32 Mb RAM, 1024x768 resolution.

2. Make sure that you have enough free hard disk space. If not, uninstall useless software and delete unnecessary files. The Civ III installation needs 550 Mb (music and videos on CD) or 700 Mb(full installation) space. Please also note that while playing the game, you also need about 100 Mb free disk space for a temporary swap file (it will be deleted after exiting the game). Remember that you will also need an additional 100-150 Mb free disk space for the OS (in this case Windows). That file space will needed all the time when running the OS, so always keep at least 100-150 Mb space free on your hard drive.

3. Enable the "Smooth edges of screen fonts" option by thicking the option in the Display Properties. The option can be found in Control Panel -> Display -> Effects -> Visual Effects -> Smooth edges of screen fonts. That will improve the look of the fonts in Civ III. It's recommendable to be done.

4. Update your DirectX to version 8.0 or greater, unless you already have done that. The DirectX 8.0a can be found on Microsoft's download site, Windows Update and on the game's CD.

5. Adjust your display's configuration, so that the 1024x768 (the game automatically runs in this mode) resolution is properly configured. Changing the refresh rate might be a worthy idea, because most users of larger monitors (19" and greater) don't usually use that resolution, so they might not even have configured it. At least it's good the check that the current settings for 1024x768 are working.

I hope that these hints will help some of you.
Old November 14, 2001, 12:04   #2
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

Quote:
Control Panel -> Display -> Effects -> Visual Effects -> Smooth edges of screen fonts
Uuuuhhh.....What's that in Finnish?
Old November 14, 2001, 13:06   #3
Xuenay
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jusbaummer

Uuuuhhh.....What's that in Finnish?
Ohjauspaneeli --> Näyttö --> Tehosteet --> Visuaaliset tehosteet --> Tasoita näyttöfonttien reunoja

"A japaneze warrior once destroyed one of my modern armours.i nuked the warrior" -- philippe666
Old November 14, 2001, 13:09   #4
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 12:46
One note - you don't have to play in 1024x768. A flag in civ3.ini can be enabled to keep your desktop resolution; i think it is KeepRes=yes, but check the readme. I play in 1152, and it will work up to at least 1200x1024.
Old November 14, 2001, 13:53   #5
Mankind
Warlord

Local Time: 17:46
Re: Prepare your PC for Civ III - Rasbelin's tips
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Civ III will be soon out on the European market. One European apoytoner told earlier that he was preparing for the release and installation of the game. That gave me the idea to summarise some hints on how to prepare you PC for the new game.

1. Check that your PC fulfills the minimun requirements. Windows 9x/ME/2000/XP, PII 300 MHz, 32 Mb RAM, 1024x768 resolution.

2. Make sure that you have enough free hard disk space. If not, uninstall useless software and delete unnecessary files. The Civ III installation needs 550 Mb (music and videos on CD) or 700 Mb(full installation) space. Please also note that while playing the game, you also need about 100 Mb free disk space for a temporary swap file (it will be deleted after exiting the game). Remember that you will also need an additional 100-150 Mb free disk space for the OS (in this case Windows). That file space will needed all the time when running the OS, so always keep at least 100-150 Mb space free on your hard drive.

3. Enable the "Smooth edges of screen fonts" option by thicking the option in the Display Properties. The option can be found in Control Panel -> Display -> Effects -> Visual Effects -> Smooth edges of screen fonts. That will improve the look of the fonts in Civ III. It's recommendable to be done.

4. Update your DirectX to version 8.0 or greater, unless you already have done that. The DirectX 8.0a can be found on Microsoft's download site, Windows Update and on the game's CD.

5. Adjust your display's configuration, so that the 1024x768 (the game automatically runs in this mode) resolution is properly configured. Changing the refresh rate might be a worthy idea, because most users of larger monitors (19" and greater) don't usually use that resolution, so they might not even have configured it. At least it's good the check that the current settings for 1024x768 are working.

I hope that these hints will help some of you.
blablabla

but ok thanks anyways
Old November 14, 2001, 14:57   #6
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaius Marius
One note - you don't have to play in 1024x768. A flag in civ3.ini can be enabled to keep your desktop resolution; i think it is KeepRes=yes, but check the readme. I play in 1152, and it will work up to at least 1200x1024.
Thanks, but that's more like off topic, sorry.
That doesn't actually prepare your PC for Civ III.
Old November 15, 2001, 11:34   #7
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Xuenay

Ohjauspaneeli --> Näyttö --> Tehosteet --> Visuaaliset tehosteet --> Tasoita näyttöfonttien reunoja
Of course! Why didn't I find it first time?
But thanks, I didn't have it enabled.