Old November 14, 2001, 16:10   #1
NewportJohn
Settler

Local Time: 16:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Minutiae Department - Smith's Trading Co
Hi, first post, though I've been reading Apolyton forums for a few months. Still not sure whether I'm disappointed by Civ III - After playing the CTP's, this seems like a devolution, a reduction in game depth. However, I'm still playing so something about it is keeping me hooked.

Anyway, I get a kick out of the metamorphosis of Adam Smith's Trading Company to Smith's Trading Co. In the last version, the wonder referred to Adam Smith, the 18th Century British Economist considered the father of capitalism, and the "Trading Co." part represented those early London stock-based companies. There never was an 'Adam Smith's Trading Co' in the sense that there were actual Pyramids, Colossus, etc. But it was more in line with J.S. Bach's Cathedral - associating a seminal cultural advance with a city-placeable physical building. J.S. Bach never 'owned' a cathedral, but his music was played in many::Adam Smith never owned a trading co, but his principles were applied in many.

In Civ III, the wonder is represented as something more like a trading outpost from the 19th century American west. Although the benefits are similar, the graphic doesn't relate to the concept. It might as well have been named Jones' Trading Co.

Forgive the nitpicking....did anyone else notice this?
Old November 14, 2001, 18:06   #2
Keyser Soze 0
Settler

Local Time: 11:47
This has been mentioned before; I suggested that the picture should have been of a great financial building like the BUS or the NYSE (Actually, it should be British, so maybe the London Exchange?)
Old November 14, 2001, 18:06   #3
Altuar
Warlord

Local Time: 11:47
Yeah, I was a bit taken aback with that graphic when I first built it. But then the West is where free market economics was coupled with the republican ideal to be fused into one complete cosmology.

Some of the wonders/techs have always been a bit suspect though. Take womens/universal suffrage for example. It reduces war weariness in all your cities. The cause (universal suffrage) is decidedly universal in its applicability in the western history but the effect is fixed to a certain time and place. (post-war USA)