Old January 17, 2001, 18:44   #1
Jim the Gentleman
Settler

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pollution
Look, I know that in the real world pollution is a serious issue, but in Civ it really bugs me. Why should I spend my valuable leisure time running around cleaning up just because some guys nuked my city? Frankly I find it pretty humiliating for the Lord Protector of the English to have to worry about such trivia. Can I somehow just shut down the whole pollution thing and play Civ minus those horrid little skulls?

Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate provided that they fear
Old January 17, 2001, 19:27   #2
Snog
Warlord

You sure can, but you have to use cheat mode. The option is in the Cheat menu, under Scenario parameters. Select "edit special rules." One of the options is "Eliminate pollution."

That only eliminates the pollution caused by population; if you have nukes you have to deal with the resulting pollution. You can make nukes unbuildable by editing rules.txt.

If you don't want to cheat: build solar plants, recycling centers, and mass transit. Also build SDI Defense so you won't get nuked!

Old January 17, 2001, 19:37   #3
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:43
Pollution can be tackled several ways...

Firstly, you can save your game as a scenario and open the cheat menu to turn pollution off.

Secondly, turn off Industrialisation, Mass Production, Automobile and Plastics, and use customised technologies instead (this does depend on whether you are using version 2.42 or a later version - FW, MPGE - as custom technologies did not work as intended before Fantastic Worlds). These four technology slots encourage pollution - you still may get some pollution in cities with large populations and/or shield production.

What I mean here is copying the technology data for these technologies over the top of the User Defined technology slots, and then changing the prerequisites in the initial slots to 'no'. Furthermore you need to amend the flow-on technologies' prerequisites also. Please note that this will affect the city-design graphics, as Industrialisation is required to make the industrialised cities, and Automobile for the modern cities (with Electronics).

Thirdly, remove the Manhattan Project and Nuclear Plants from the @IMPROVEMENTS list to prevent (a.) nuclear missiles, (b.) spies setting off nuclear bombs, and (c.) nuclear plant meltdowns.

Fourthly, amend @IMPROVEMENTS so Mass Transit, Recycling Plants, and Solar Plants may be built earlier in the game, and are cheaper to build and maintain.

Hopefully a combination of these approaches with either greatly minimise if not remove pollution from your game.

Oh poop - got beaten to the punch!

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old January 18, 2001, 12:00   #4
Snog
Warlord

That's a good point, if your going to build nuclear plants, make darn sure you don't go into civil disorder in that city, unless you already have discovered fusion power.

Also, spies can plant nuclear devices in your cities, just like cam said.

So if you REALLY don't want pollution, you would have to go into rules.txt and get rid of spies and nuclear plants, too.

Old January 19, 2001, 22:40   #5
CyberChrist
Warlord

Local Time: 01:13
quote:

Originally posted by Jim the Gentleman on 01-17-2001 05:44 PM
Why should I spend my valuable leisure time running around cleaning up just because some guys nuked my city?

Because your diplomacy (obviously) failed